Equipment checks

Am I an idiot or something? Whenever I get to work, the very first thing I do is put in the refrigerator any perishable items I may have for lunch & dinner (24 hour shift), put a pot of coffee on and then check over my unit, top to bottom EVERYTHING including my bags (Trauma, ALS, Ped, etc.), O2 level, spine boards, paperwork and maps of the area, THEN I sit down and drink my coffee! It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes and I know that my unit is 100% ready for anything, so if I get any type of call I can handle it with what I have. BUT, the shift that relieves me, they come in and sit down on the sofa, drink coffee, eat breakfast and go for an hour or sometimes more without checking to see if anything needs to be done or if something is missing. Am I doing something wrong by wanting to know my unit is ready when I'm called, wether it's 8AM or 8 PM? I 'm just curious to hear from others about this!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're correct. Although, I might question the thoroughness of the job if it only takes you ten to fifteen minutes.

I would fire the other shift.

They a comfortable in the knowledge that someone else is doing the work for them.

Take advantage of it by removing an item that they might need, and that they won't find if they don't check their unit. The next day when you do your check, ask if anyone found said item, because you can't find it.

I check everything before each shift! We're lucky enough that we have a logisitcs division that checks off our units for us before each shift. The only thing I don't check is the cabinets that have been checked and sealed with a tag. Everything else comes open and gets explored.

Heck, I work for an IFT and I do that. Almost never a shift goes by that I'm not missing something (mostly finding empty spare O2 tanks) missing. My company even hires people to stock the units for us overnight. We are told that if the compartment is sealed (think yellow zip-tie thingie like is found on crash carts in the hospital. very easy to take off) that we don't need to check it. :evil: Management finally stopped pushing me out when I was missing my adult BVM one day (caught during check out). The compartment was sealed.

:violent1: :violent1: :violent3:

I can do my check I guess really 15-20 minutes, check all the bags, cabinets, O2 levels in 2 portable & main bottle (2 spares), paperwork, fluids, lights, etc. No I do my tire pressure checks later in the day, usually before I wash the unit and fill the ice cooler (bottled water for fire rehab). But still it's frustrating to see them sitting on their asses BUT they'll be the ones on the hot seat if something was not in stock or missing.

Always check your rig. Document and replace what is missing then turn in said document(checksheet) to management. If they are doing their job they should handle it properly.

We have a strict policy of re-stocking the equipment and supplies ASAP. We keep enough PAR level so one should never be without anything.. I will ask off-going shift, any important equip that they are aware of.. and between my partner and myself can actually go through the rig in about 15 minutes.

Sometimes, I will visit with the off going crew.. this is more a shift change occurrence of what is happening with the truck, as well as up-date of equipment usage etc.. and some de-stressors.

My usual activity is to arrive the 15 minute early.. to check the truck, and be able to visit as well.

Be safe,

R/r 911

Heck, I work for an IFT and I do that. Almost never a shift goes by that I'm not missing something (mostly finding empty spare O2 tanks) missing. My company even hires people to stock the units for us overnight. We are told that if the compartment is sealed (think yellow zip-tie thingie like is found on crash carts in the hospital. very easy to take off) that we don't need to check it. :evil: Management finally stopped pushing me out when I was missing my adult BVM one day (caught during check out). The compartment was sealed.

:violent1: :violent1: :violent3:

There's always the possibility that something could turn up missing or just be overlooked while being stocked, even by the crews that staff the truck for the day. The people who stock our units do more than just stock trucks, they are operation support technicians. They are full-time employees and some are even EMTs and Paramedics, not just somebody hired to come in overnight and stock a unit. The great thing is, everything I will need for the day is in one of my bags/kits that remain on my stretcher. The equipment in the cabinets is just back-up supplies to re-stock what I use out of my bag/kit. It's also quite easy to visualize most items in the cabinets, even when they are sealed. I don't leave headquarters unless I'm readily equipped to handle anything and everything that gets thrown at me within reason! :blob7:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.