new personnel

I don't want to but here it comes, Rid and Dust are correct...AGAIN.

The providers that are currently entering the field have had much of their pseudo-education given to them. This got them through school, then sets them to think that the rest of their careers will be given to them as well. Maybe it is just a generational thing, but many of the younger students I have run into seem to feel they are entitled to get whatever they ask for.

The education system has to get more strict in holding to the standards that are set. The students have to realize that while they are paying for their courses, they do not automatically get a certification/license out of sitting in class playing grab a$$.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lithium, I had implied the "I'm afraid to ask questions..." as a Paramedic trying to find what my brand new EMT partner knows and doesn't know. Apparantly they thought some exploratory questioning was offensive. I mean, they have their certificate, what else do they need to know?

Yes, I do realize that not all new EMS providers are the same. Apparantly I've been exposed to worse providers than the average. Except for Cosgrojo. I'd keep him.

:D

Memorable Quotes from

Kung Fu (1972) (TV)

Young Caine: You cannot see.

Master Po: You think I cannot see?

Young Caine: Of all things, to live in darkness must be worst.

Master Po: Fear is the only darkness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha, ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?

Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.

Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?

Young Caine: No.

Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?

Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?

Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Kan: Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand.

[Young Caine tries to do so and fails]

Master Kan: When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Master Kan: Avoid, rather than check. Check, rather than hurt. Hurt, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced.

Caine: Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present?

Master Po: If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

:D

Master Kan: Avoid, rather than check. Check, rather than hurt. Hurt, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced.

Caine: Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present?

Master Po: If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

All this from someone who has an avatar of a kitten at gunpoint. :cheers:

[Note: these emoticons are so much cooler when I'm this sleep deprived.]

Let's face the truth. Not everyone in EMS/Healthcare is cut out to be there. It is not for some humans, but they try. Eating our own is a way to weed out the ones that shouldn't be there. It seems that we have not done a good job of that though.

If a person is new and goes through the harding process and learns - then maybe this is for them. It a least makes them a little better. Education is a key factor but so is natural ability and attitude and face it=INTELLIGENCE. If you ain't got it and ain't getting it - GET OUT. And maybe we in the "service" should be a little harder on the newbies.

I call BS on this.

The FNG is all excited and nervous to be starting out in a new field. The first thing you guys/gals want to do is jump on them. While it may be fun for you, I'm sure it isn't for the newbie. Try and be a little more professional and help the newbie. You're supposed to be helping, not hindering their progress. I have seen it before and have seen good EMS providers leave because they don't want to be constantly chastised.

Leave the juvenile hazing to the hose monkeys.

Waaa!....Waaa!.. Waaa!.. I guess, we should hold their hands and paint stars and rainbows, then maybe go get a happy meal afterward?... They need to learn to suck it up!. This is a job, can't do it .. get out ! Deal with it... tired of coddling and trying to nurturing newbies. Tried it and never seen it work as of yet ! ... Again, don't be mean, but, you should be ready for the entry level of the job market... just think of how many jobs there is without prior clinical training. Maybe, a word of of advise is to take your clinicals more serious and start asking questions now.. that is the time to get your practice.

Funny, the ones usually are the meanest to the students are the ones that was pampered.

Which professor do you remember the most... the one that was easy, sweet, laid back or the one that was a hard-arss, and made you work for that A+?....

R/r 911

Waaa!....Waaa!.. Waaa!.. I guess, we should hold their hands and paint stars and rainbows, then maybe go get a happy meal afterward?... They need to learn to suck it up!. This is a job, can't do it .. get out ! Deal with it... tired of coddling and trying to nurturing newbies. Tried it and never seen it work as of yet ! ... Again, don't be mean, but, you should be ready for the entry level of the job market... just think of how many jobs there is without prior clinical training. Maybe, a word of of advise is to take your clinicals more serious and start asking questions now.. that is the time to get your practice.

Funny, the ones usually are the meanest to the students are the ones that was pampered.

Which professor do you remember the most... the one that was easy, sweet, laid back or the one that was a hard-arss, and made you work for that A+?....

R/r 911

No, you don't need to hold their hands. But constantly degrading and making them feel like idiots isn't the answer either. Some experienced medics must feel threatened by the newbie with the college education to feel that have to act in such a matter.

I can take it and dish it out with the best of 'em, but I really don't see a need for it.

I don't believe in degrading anyone Jake. When I say be tough on them I mean make them second guess themselves and find the clinical reasons they are doing something, or jumping them when they make a mistake. Example, when I was doing my Para internship my preceptor could make me second guess myself by asking something like "are you sure you want to give that nitro." He was not being mean he just wanted me to justify it. Being hard on someone does not mean degrading them.

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.