Stress Relief

I go to my 5year old and we wrestle or box. he usually kicks my butt(I let him) but that is my stress relief.

Or I ask him to tell me why the sky is blue and his response is usually classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this board,just found it today.Nice to have a place where everyone understands what we all go through.

I have 6 horses,TWH's,,they are my stress relievers,,both my husband and I are paramedics,I have been doing this for 8 years and hubby has been at it for over 12.

No matter how tired we are after a shift we go and hang out at the barn with the horses,nothing beats the quiet,,you can actually hear yourself think..lol. We lease a 7 stall barn with 12 acres of pasture,this all sits on about 400 acres,,the rest is in trails and other pastures...If its been a really bad shift 24/48 we try to get out for a short ride...I always feel better when I come back...other times we just hang out down there. Its the only place we know of where we dont hear any noise,,no phones,nothing,just the whole nature thing going on.

When I figure out how to post pics I will add a few of our beasties....

Merry Christmas to all...

When I come home at the end of the day, I tell my significant other about it. The little things. The big things. The boss things. The achy "We both really didn't expect that one client to go limp while we were helping him walk and now my back is killing me" stuff. And he listens! Then I do the same for him. Just being able to share your day with someone else helps you to put it into perspective.

I also absolutely love food. I love to cook, I love to bake, I love to eat meals that have been prepared by various chefs; when I'm thinking about food, it's hard to think about anything else that's going on.

When I get the opportunity I love to get outdoors and go hiking or walking. Just being in the sunshine helps (boo to winter... I hate this part of the year where it's so dark!) and watching different critters is really nifty.

While I'm on shift, if there's a lull, I read science fiction... just that temporary escape into a world that isn't my workplace.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• 1 year later...

It depends on my situation. If it's nighttime and I can't sleep, I pace. If I'm in the position to do it though, I run. That really works the best for me. Besides that, music. Playing it myself seems to work the best for me (it's one of my greatest forms of expression), but just listening is good too. Get out in nature, just think, work out, pray, read,...

In "Red Heat", the Chicago Police Captain, explaining about the big fish tank in his office as a stress reliever, asks "Ahhnold", playing the Moscow, USSR cop, what they do to relieve stress.

The Russian LEO says, simply, "Vodka!"

I personally don't endorse that.

I dont know what they do in the rest of the world but I do know this !

The All American way to deal with stress is to slug back a bottle of bourbon and seek the company of a wild, sassy gal !

Burn out my ass ! Burn out is for wimps or non-Americans !

No way Pedro !

post-23783-12560374749395_thumb.jpg

The All American way to deal with stress is to slug back a bottle of bourbon and seek the company of a wild, sassy gal !

OK, I call for equal time: What do the gals do for dealing with stress?

• 9 months later...

Mixed martial arts and bowling. But not at the same time. That would be bad.

That would make bowling tournaments on tv more interesting, though.

I do skeet shooting when I need a way to blow off steam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.