What do you want the public to know about EMS?

During discussions of our professional woes, the topic of public image and perception frequently comes up as a significant concern. We all know how misunderstood that EMT's, Paramedics, and EMS systems are by the average citizen, and even those in government. We frequently find ourselves rolling our eyes at those who think we are all firemen, or that we are all Paramedics, or that we are nearly doctors, or that we are nothing but ambulance drivers. I always find myself saying, "If they only knew...!" Clearly, public image ranks only behind education as the most important issue confronting EMS today.

So here I ask you to tell me what key points you would have everybody know about your profession. I'm not asking for a discussion. I'm not asking for essays. I'm just asking for a list of very succinct and specific points and concepts you think it is crucial for the public to know about us and the profession.

Please limit yourself to specific original points and let's not engage in discussion of the points. I am not interested in your opinions of anybody else's points. Just give me your own points and leave it at that.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things:

1: Lights and sirens get old quickly

2: We don't see "blood and guts" all that often

During discussions of our professional woes, the topic of public image and perception frequently comes up as a significant concern. We all know how misunderstood that EMT's, Paramedics, and EMS systems are by the average citizen, and even those in government. We frequently find ourselves rolling our eyes at those who think we are all firemen, or that we are all Paramedics, or that we are nearly doctors, or that we are nothing but ambulance drivers. I always find myself saying, "If they only knew...!" Clearly, public image ranks only behind education as the most important issue confronting EMS today.

So here I ask you to tell me what key points you would have everybody know about your profession. I'm not asking for a discussion. I'm not asking for essays. I'm just asking for a list of very succinct and specific points and concepts you think it is crucial for the public to know about us and the profession.

Please limit yourself to specific original points and let's not engage in discussion of the points. I am not interested in your opinions of anybody else's points. Just give me your own points and leave it at that.

1.) Im not a fireman

2.) Yep, we get paid now.

3.) theres no glamour in getting crapped on

4.) EMS is more than paramedics

5.) im not a taxi

6.) No lights and sirens unless requested in a major city simply means ill forget to turn them off then i come in the house.

More to come...

We don't use lights and sirens to look pretty. We rarely run hot, but when we do, please get out of the way.

No, I don't love my job. I don't like seeing people get hurt. I hate hearing the tones drop.

Yes, I have seen some weird stuff, no I won't tell you.

Just because I'm not running on scene to the patient or the ambulance, doesn't mean I don't realise the seriousness of the event.

If I need help, I'll ask for it. Please don't offer or just start picking things up.

EMS needs more funding.

We are highly educated in aspects of pre-hospital emergency care. The fire department is not.

Please know when to call 9-1-1.

No, defibrillating a heart that is asystole does not restart it.

[*] The "E" in EMS Stands for EMERGENCY if you are not having one don't call :evil:

[*] No, I can't just run your paperwork to the hospital for you :shock:

[*] For gods sake when you see an ambulance behind you pull to the RIGHT :arrow: :arrow:

[*] We are NOT FIREFIGHTERS [-X

[*] we are not AMBULANCE DRIVERS ](*,)

[*] we are paid less than the guy working Mc Donalds :oops:

[*] some areas of the country still have volunteer only EMS service :shock: (not slighting volunteers just piont out we need better funding)

[*] takes about 2 maybe 21/2 years of training to be a Paramedic [-o<

[*] We would love to talk to the media about calls but the Law will not allow it =;

POSITIVE

[*] I do love my job :cheers:

[*] I have delivered 5 children 8)

[*] We will come to your school, meeting, ect and explain EMS :-$

[*] We have almost the same equiptment in our ambulance to treat a cardiac arrest victim as the emergency room does :-k

[*] STOP BY YOUR LOCAL EMS STATION AND TELL THEM THANKS FOR WHAT THEY DO

I wish that the public realized how much traing and cont. ed that we do go through.

We are trained professionals, and we work hard to serve our communities.

I actually had a lady call the station to ask if anyone down there knew first aid, she had cut

her finger!!!! :shock:

1. When we are sitting in traffic, turn on our lights and sirens, then drive about 1/2 a mile and shut them off... it is not because we are bored and wanted to beat traffic, we were cancelled. (or our coffee needs to be re-filled). :D

2. *personal note* No I don't like lights and sirens, they give me a headache, not a woody.

3. *pedestrians* If we are driving in a parking lot, please do not break into a run to get out of our way (especially the geriatric crowd). We are in no hurry, and I don't feel like using the scoop-stretcher.

4. *restaurant personell* When you see the ambulance outside your window, and two people in uniforms are placing an order... please don't ask if this is "for here, or to go?" Assume the latter.

5. Trauma sheers = Chinese food bag opener. (This is for the amusement of Mr. Admin) :D

6. Yes, this is probably going to hurt.

7. Yes it is legal to work a 24 hour shift.

8. Yes we have to pay for tolls.

9. No it is not mandatory for the Fire department (volunteer) to wear full turn-out gear to a medical call, they do it just to increase your anxiety.

10. We are contractually obligated to tell you that you might die if you sign our refusal form, but I'm sure that hang-nail is not gonna' be the thing that does you in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.