Another "great" call!

Hey guys! Long time on talk! I just had to come to rant a little. My VFD answered the call for a man pinned in between machine and a truck. By the time we got there, he was freed (they had to use a forklift to get a heavy machine off of him) He complained of Back pain. Well, we had gotten the back board out about the time the EMS showed up, and guess what? The Wise, all-knowing Medic decided we were not going to package him, so they helped him up, and loaded him onto the cot for Bx1 transport.

:x

Any thoughts on this call?

What else would you like to know? Pt was an adult male, working at a factory at the time of the incident. Aside from complaints of back pain, pt had 2 lacs on his left had, with controlled bleeding.

Hey guys! Long time on talk! I just had to come to rant a little. My VFD answered the call for a man pinned in between machine and a truck. By the time we got there, he was freed (they had to use a forklift to get a heavy machine off of him) He complained of Back pain. Well, we had gotten the back board out about the time the EMS showed up, and guess what? The Wise, all-knowing Medic decided we were not going to package him, so they helped him up, and loaded him onto the cot for Bx1 transport.

:x

Any thoughts on this call?

Any LOC?

Location of pain (i.e. flank vs mid-line)?

Any tenderness along the mid-line of the back?

Any neuro deficits? (PMS x 4?)

Any distracting injuries, or was the only problem the back pain?

Impact? If so, speed, location (including area, for example), etc (did the machine just tip over so that the machine and the truck formed a triangle and the patient was trapped at the apex?)?

What else would you like to know? Pt was an adult male, working at a factory at the time of the incident. Aside from complaints of back pain, pt had 2 lacs on his left had, with controlled bleeding.

What body part was pinned?

Did the machine or the truck move to pin him?

Where did the lacs come from?

Those are part of scene size-up. I wouldn't begin to speculate without it.

BTW, I always complain of back pain :lol:

Where in his back was the pain?

Since he was moved prior to your arrival, it would be difficult to assess mechanism of injury. The decision to restrict spinal motion should be based more on your assessment findings than a strict protocol. Depending on information that is/is not readily available, both the medic and you could be right. You could both also be wrong.

Take it for what it is worth.

I do not understand. how was this a great call

You have to give more info for us. If you ar trying to run a scenario and make us think, you aren't doing a very good job

I do not understand. how was this a great call

You have to give more info for us. If you ar trying to run a scenario and make us think, you aren't doing a very good job

I believe that the "great" part was sarcastic. He is complaining that the paramedics didn't fully immobilize the patient based off of mechanism alone, but he has not shown yet why the patient should have been immobilized, besides the mechanism (which doesn't sound, overall, too serious to warrant immobilization).

If you go to the OPs record of previous posts, just like other short-lived "scenarios", you will find that they don't follow-up very often.

They seem to be disenchanted with paramedics and thought they could post something that made the profession look bad.

At any rate, they seem to not know how to answer the questions, or don't care.

I have followed 2 other scenarios in the past week that never got a response from the OP. After they see that the medics seem to know what they're doing, off they go into cybespace.

The scenario would warrant a closer look if there were more details. It was never indicated how thorough the initial assessment was prior to the arrival of EMS. It seems very clear that wasn't much done in the realm of stabilization when the VFD got there but more emphasis on extrication WITHOUT SMR occuring simultaneously, thus making it necessary for the Paramedic who arrived on scene to determine throough some process (I'm assuming protocol) that the patient met a criteria to rule out c spine injury in the field.

My question would be: WHAT did YOU before THEY got there and did what THEY did?

That's just my two cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.