No NR test??

No good can come from this idea. And Ohio will become the laughing stock of the already pitiful U.S. EMS community.

I amung others from the US are getting sick & tired of you & everyone else not from our country putting the US down.If you don't like it or us STAY THE HELL OUT-WE DON"T WANT YOU HERE :roll:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No good can come from this idea. And Ohio will become the laughing stock of the already pitiful U.S. EMS community.

I amung others from the US are getting sick & tired of you & everyone else not from our country putting the US down.If you don't like it or us STAY THE HELL OUT-WE DON"T WANT YOU HERE :roll:

THUMPER1156, you should really actually "quote" the person who said the initial sentence (Dustdevil). Your post doesn't make sense otherwise. I thought YOU said the initial sentence and then were getting your panties in a knot (or does :roll: = sarcasm?) about others putting your country down. It just didn't make sense...

The US does have generally ridiculous education compared to scope of practice for all levels of EMT. Once people start to get some perspective, you will understand what us "foreigners" mean.

PS - Dust isn't actually from Nova Scotia... :roll:

Let me throw in my .02 on this. I also have problems with the registry, but its not their fault. When you create a standard you create the danger of schools teaching only that standard in preparation for testing. They teach whats on the test and are lax on things not on the test.

We have the same problem in Washington, here they created the Washington Assessment of Student Learning (WASL). The WASL tests public school students level of knowledge obtained in grades 3-12. My sister is a student liaison for the district we live in, her job is to monitor how students are taught and also to help students with problems at school and at home. Even my sister, who works for the school district mind you, is critical of the WASL. The problem is teachers are using the WASL tests as a blueprint for their lesson plans. They in essence are teaching what students need to know for the TEST, not what they need to know for educations sake.

This is what many EMS schools are doing with the National Registry, they teach the test. This is a good theory to make your school look great with a 98% pass rate, Unfortunately it does not always create good caregivers.

The answer to this problem is beyond my little Paramedic brain I'm sorry to say.

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

P.S. Nate, you went to conventions for continuing ed? Wow, I only went to get the free stuff in the lobby. :lol: Last time I netted 78 pens, 42 notepads, 18 stethoscope name tags and 4 penlights.

I would like to see a national EMS licensing exam similar to what the LPNs & RN's take instead of the NR.

1EMP-P, I agree in a national board exam. Paramedic should be a 2 year program at a minimum and the Paramedic would be a licensed health care provider.

Take care,

chbare.

If your state was to do away with the National Registry, it wouldn't hurt you, nor would it make a big difference. As pointed out earlier, the NR is good for just about squat unless you plan on moving from state to state. Most places don't offer extra pay for being nationally registered and could really care less if you have the NR. I hear some people talk about how hard of an exam it is and how much better of a medic you are if you pass it...bullshit. Unless your state requires you to have your NR, why even bother with it?

The main reason for any testing is to have a continuity of testing the minimal but safe practice examination. Opinions like those above is a good example why EMS is fragmented and non cohesive.

Of course most EMT's do not understand that any test or any agency that test you will have the same results, that they are only testing you on the minimal knowledge base to practice at that entry level point. NREMT points that out very clearly.

No you should not receive additional monies because you passed a minimal entry level test. Yes, every state should require the NREMT because then we would know and acknowledge that at the least they had met these requirements.

My test is better than your test can go on forever, yet again showing the immaturity of not just the people who make up the system but the general uneducated and narrow mind of State EMS Directors and their counterparts.

We as a system will NEVER exceed as a profession with individual tests (city, county, state, doo-dah) again showing our piss poor egos, like a banny rooster, all show and no material or true strength behind it.

Yes, NREMT has flaws, I have yet seen any test (city, state) that did not. But credibility, and allowable reciprocity is one the advantages of the NREMT.

R/r 911

Ridryder 911, I agree that credibility and reciprocity are two very strong advantages of the registry. I do not advocate doing away with the registry. I believe that they are probably the best organization to issue a national exam. I just think that every state should require everybody to take the same national exam. That way, at least everybody has been tested to a known minimal competency level regardless of where you took your course. Some day I would like to see Paramedics as licensed professionals and EMS officially recognized as a profession.

Take care,

chbare.

I am fortunate, when we developed the laws for our state EMS rules and regs., that is one thing we insisted upon was licensing. So here in Oklahoma, each EMT is licensed, not certified. Just like any other professional group. This is hard subject to convince most EMT's, that their is truly a difference.

I too pro for a national CLEX examination, and it this time NREMT appears to be the closest thing. Then each state should have a "Board of EMS" that is composed of EMT's and managed by people of EMS. Similar to what nursing has in each state, with its Board of Nurses and scope of practice. This would allow reciprocity so much easier, even allowing travel medics, exchange medics etc... We limit ourselves so much with ego, not educational standards. If each institution was actually providing a true base level, we would have no problems.

Be safe,

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.