Backboards???

Hi all... First off, I am not a TEMS provider, I just have a question.

The local PD is putting a tactical trailer together. My partner is also an officer and is in charge of all of the first aid/medical response aspects of the trailer. We have been looking around for a backboard to put in the trailer. The main thing that he wants is for it to be quick/easy/simple.The board would be used by the officers who are not trained medical professionals. We do in-service them regularly on some of our more commonly used EMS procedures so they have the basics down. We have considered using a backboard with pins & clip on straps ( we don't want them to have to be digging for the straps) but I thought I would check if any one out there uses something different. If you have any great ideas pleas let me know. Thank you. :lol:

The board would be used by the officers who are not trained medical professionals.

Well, there's your first problem. Backboards (although very convenient as a patient litter device) are used primarily for patients with suspected spinal injuries, which I'm sure you're aware of. Is this really something you want untrained personnel doing?

If the police service is putting the money and resources into stocking for a tactical police trailer, this is an excellent opportunity to pitch to them the need for tactical trained medics.

If that doesn't go over well, instead of acquiring a backboard, look into getting a model 65 ferno 'scoop stretcher'. It's much more versatile and takes up less space then contemporary boards.

peace

If that doesn't go over well, instead of acquiring a backboard, look into getting a model 65 ferno 'scoop stretcher'. It's much more versatile and takes up less space then contemporary boards.

Good recommendation. Another good alternative would be a basket stretcher. Less likely to drop anybody that way. If they need a backboard, they need a medic.

And, of course, if they don't think they need a medic, then they don't really care about themselves anyhow, so screw 'em.

This may be the only instance in which I would advocate the use of Spider Straps..... Quick on, and get 'em out.... but hey, I don't get paid to think so listen to the rest of the crew here to get their ideas.....

If they are just looking to get someone out of line of fire, the SKED might be an option. It is relatively light and compact.

Check the info: http://www.skedco.com/sk200.htm

Military teaches Combat life Savers (our first responders) to use them to get folks to where the medics can take over care. This is something that could even be carried by a team member or dropped at the door, etc to have it close. I have seen units that do not keep it in the carrier for quicker deployment.

Although as a Paramedic I do like to board my own c spine pts..... c spine immobilization does fall within the First Responder course skill set ( Red Cross) .....

I have been apart of putting together the TAC MED kit for the Police service that I work for....we have gone with the soft fold able "SWAT" cot (cordura with grab handles and securing straps). It about the size of a foot ball when closed.

A Fx board, scoop or basket may be good to be left in the truck....but to big otherwise....C spine packaging will not likely occur in the hot to maybe medium zone anyway...if someone is dropped in the hot zone most TEMS P & P is to EVAC ASAP....c spine is kinda secondary...till in a safer area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.