• Associates of Applied Technology
    • Associates of Arts
    • Associates of Science
    • Other Associates
    • Bachelors of Arts
    • Bachelors of Science
    • Masters
    • Doctorate

Agreed, but let's not forget that a very large number of EMT students are hardly adults in the sense of maturity. :?

Unless the pool of students grows up, we will have to continue to teach them like kids instead of adults.

But yeah, at least a BS for teaching -- including specific university coursework in education -- should be required. Wwithout four full-time years of university, you simply haven't experienced enough true education to know what it is, much less practise it.

Being a good medic isn't enough.

Since there arent any Medic programs starting in my area in the next year, I am considering getting my Masters in Public Health, which I see alot of well qualified instructors and authors in the field of EMS have. Dust- whats your particular opinion about this? I would get the Masters, which would also include things like more advanced a and p, origins of disease, public healthcare during epidemic/pandemic situations, etc. Do you think this would be helpful when I finally do go to medic school? Thanks in advance for your input.

MPH is an excellent choice. However, not all MPH programs are created equal. Some are "generic" and are completed with ease but carry little weight in rewarding work. Programs like UC Berkeley are difficult to get into but offer a great foundation for future employment potential and not just letters behind your name. It's like the Harvard education for law.

Since there arent any Medic programs starting in my area in the next year, I am considering getting my Masters in Public Health, which I see alot of well qualified instructors and authors in the field of EMS have. Dust- whats your particular opinion about this? I would get the Masters, which would also include things like more advanced a and p, origins of disease, public healthcare during epidemic/pandemic situations, etc. Do you think this would be helpful when I finally do go to medic school? Thanks in advance for your input.

About the age of the incoming students....what do you think about raising the minimum age that is required for a person to enter the EMT course? Here it is 18, though I have heard some places it is as low as 16. I personally would like to see it go up to 21 and perhaps 25...maybe if youre not old enough to rent a car, they shouldnt trust you with a half million dollar vehicle.

I do not favour age requirements. They are not qualitative or objective criteria that offer me any significant insight into the candidate's ability to excel. I find them worthless, much like the belief that practice as a basic makes you more likely to be a good medic student.

That said, I do believe that a foundation of college coursework should be completed BEFORE acceptance into a paramedic programme, including the basic sciences, English and communications, psychology, sociology, mathematics, etc... If you are Doogie Houser and can knock all that out by age 16, then more power to you. That's still going to put you at age 18 before you actually finish medic school. And, regardless of your competence as a medic, we all know that for simple auto insurance reasons, many under 21 medics have a very hard time finding decent employment.

Medically, I don't mind working with a young medic, even a teenager. But I do refuse to let them drive for me.

Don't know what institution that is from ? The highest paid Nursing professor job I have seen offered is $38 K requiring a a PhD or DNSc. Unless you are discussing a chairperson position or one of the largest state university. Two of my associates was offered at the second highest tuition school in OK. a nursing professor full time position for $28 K a year ! They as well requested you have a Doctoral level within 6 yrs. They stayed in ER because they would have to take about a $15K year cut.

The average pay for RN's here is about $18-25 hr which is = $32-40k a yr. .. Managers make about $40-60k a year..

R/r 911

Rid, I'm not sure what level of education these people have, but this link is the University of Va salaries of Nursing professors in 2004 http://cavalierdaily.student.virginia.edu/...rsing:+Faculty+

I find it quite interesting that over 50% of the poll respondents (28 people total have responded as of my posting) have bachelors degrees or higher, and the majority have at least an associates.

Hmmmm....

Considering that there are maybe 50 people (out of 10,000+ members) on this forum that contribute regularly with good/reliable/honest EMS information, I call BS.

Even more amazing considering most people balk at 2 year college education for PCP here, when PCP's only carry 5 drugs and basically lack IV's in scope of practice...

Two PhDs eh? Where did you do your undergrad and post-grad education? What was your dissertation on?

Rid, I'm not sure what level of education these people have, but this link is the University of Va salaries of Nursing professors in 2004 http://cavalierdaily.student.virginia.edu/...rsing:+Faculty+

If you compare the number of hours per week and usually most are now on year contracts instead of the 9 month contract., that is not that much money. Remember, one must have at the least a master degree level to teach "RN" at a university setting. They also usually require at least the minimal 5 years clinical experience. Most require to be at the "professor" level to either be a Doctoral candidate or have received their Doctoral level in education, or Nursing Science. Furthermore; most universities may require them to still maintain clinical experience and additionally to be published in some professional journal. So in comparison, it is not really a whopping salary, especially if one realize most regular nurse can make that salary either in management or travel, without all the B.S...or go into sales representative or computer systems... etc..

VS-Eh? I am wondering if the PhD' are not our M.D.'s that we have on the forum? I do see many medics on "MySpace" etc.. that describe themselves as having a professional degree as a Paramedic. Then, when reviewing their educational experience, they only have attended Vocational/Trade school or a Junior College. This is shameful, that they do not even know what a professional degree is!...(hint.. it is really not trade school!)

Maybe we should have a post on what private, trade/vocational, undergrad, grad, and post/professional requires and is composed of. So many (including EMS instructors) do not have a clue on educational systems. Again, part of multiple problems we have as a system. How are we ever going to progress, if those that teach are uneducated?

Again, we require kindergarten teachers to have at least an undergraduate level to teach.. But, it is okay to learn to make an incision on someones neck from a GED level instructor. hmmmm..... does this make sense?

R/r 911

VS-Eh? I am wondering if the PhD' are not our M.D.'s that we have on the forum? I do see many medics on "MySpace" etc.. that describe themselves as having a professional degree as a Paramedic. Then, when reviewing their educational experience, they only have attended Vocational/Trade school or a Junior College. This is shameful, that they do not even know what a professional degree is!...(hint.. it is really not trade school!)

Maybe we should have a post on what private, trade/vocational, undergrad, grad, and post/professional requires and is composed of. So many (including EMS instructors) do not have a clue on educational systems. Again, part of multiple problems we have as a system. How are we ever going to progress, if those that teach are uneducated?

R/r 911

I agree. Academia seems to be a challenging world for many people, especially those in EMS. I've found that many EMS personnel, including so-called "EMS educators," have no idea what it takes in order to recieve a certain degree. Many also do not understand accreditation or what entails a basic undergraduate education.

I highly encourage and recommend attending accredited Paramedic programs, If you are in a paramedic program enquire if they are in attempt to become accredited through programs such as CoEMSP, Accredited Health Careers Association, etc.

Rumors in my state that all programs must be accredited by 2010. I hope so, but I doubt it. By being accredited requires your instructors to be proficient not only in EMS but teaching as well. Appropriate clinical agreements and contracts with administrative staff and instructors to monitor student development. Plus, a continuous development program to ensure the student is taught well. Mainly, mandating the educational institution to have the EMS as a program not just a class.

The old saying those that.. "can't do, teach".... should never occur in EMS. As well, being competent in their profession, knowledge and skill proficient. Instructors should have at the least a demonstration of general education by either passing proficient exams or degree status.

We cannot or will never become a true profession, until we have recognized level of instructors teaching the programs.

R/r 91