• Associates of Applied Technology
    • Associates of Arts
    • Associates of Science
    • Other Associates
    • Bachelors of Arts
    • Bachelors of Science
    • Masters
    • Doctorate

In reference to previous posts regarding what should be the minimum requirements for admission to Paramedic school, I wondered what academic qualifications many of the contributors might have obtained. Many of the answers posted seemed to discriminate on lack of fundamental coursework in medicine. It appears that there are also preconcieved notions regarding what constitutes a credible academic background to practice as a paramedic. The poll is a non scientific method of seeing just what level (albeit somewhat incomplete) of education some might choose to share with the rest of us. Please be honest in the answers.

[/font:bc6d35a2a5]

I believe the minimal to teach should be AAS, truthfully at the minimum a B.S., but that would be hard to enforce. Many do not know to teach in a nursing school, they have to have at the least a Masters Degree. Most University settings require or recommend a Doctorate level.

I truly believe one of the reasons our medics are so un-educated is because many of our instructors are as well. We should have EMS teachers/professors not instructors. Formal education on adult education and techniques should be mandated more than the "EMT Instructor Course".. Development of curricula and studies as well as lesson plans and testing, should be part of the instructors job and performance.

Be safe,

R/r 911

Formal education on adult education and techniques should be mandated...

Agreed, but let's not forget that a very large number of EMT students are hardly adults in the sense of maturity. :?

Unless the pool of students grows up, we will have to continue to teach them like kids instead of adults.

But yeah, at least a BS for teaching -- including specific university coursework in education -- should be required. Wwithout four full-time years of university, you simply haven't experienced enough true education to know what it is, much less practise it.

Being a good medic isn't enough.

I hold no degree, but have attended more than 250 hours of Instructional theory and resource level classes.

• 8 months later...

We do need or should have a minimum of at least an Associates Degree and I believe 5 years of field experience to instruct at any level of EMS.

Bachelors Degrees in EMS are much easier to find and should be the goal of those currently in teaching positions.

The nursing programs are requiring Masters in Nursing to instruct RN programs or soon will. I believe this is the best thing that could have happend to the paramedic industry. The shortage of BSN holders with a desire to teach has contributed to the shortage of Registered Nurses and provided ample opportunity for paramedics to work clinically in the hospital E/D' replacing them. Why should a RN, BSN or MSN settle for 40-65,000 a year teachng when thay can travl or work per deim for 75K and up being floor nurses? The shortage of instructors in nursing will effect the supply of nurses much more than they realize I fear.

To teach Respiratory Therapy students (a third of them are Paramedics), I needed a minimum of a M.S.

A couple of months ago (about the time I started checking out this forum) I was asked to substitute for a Paramedic instructor who was on medical leave. The administrators of that school did not know of my other educational affliliations. I was recommended by the Paramedic on leave. The only things required were my current EMT-P license and some ambulance experience. There wasn't but one space on the education part of the application.

Our university actually has no shortage of BSN and MSNs applying for teaching positions. We have a shortage of qualified BSN, MSNs applying. Not everyone can teach.

We do need or should have a minimum of at least an Associates Degree and I believe 5 years of field experience to instruct at any level of EMS.

Bachelors Degrees in EMS are much easier to find and should be the goal of those currently in teaching positions.

The nursing programs are requiring Masters in Nursing to instruct RN programs or soon will. I believe this is the best thing that could have happend to the paramedic industry. The shortage of BSN holders with a desire to teach has contributed to the shortage of Registered Nurses and provided ample opportunity for paramedics to work clinically in the hospital E/D' replacing them. Why should a RN, BSN or MSN settle for 40-65,000 a year teachng when thay can travl or work per deim for 75K and up being floor nurses? The shortage of instructors in nursing will effect the supply of nurses much more than they realize I fear.

I wished teaching positions would offer that much. My professors at 2 large private universities and 1 state college made less than my fellow Paramedics.. and they have a PhD or DNSc. One of the problems of nursing shortage, there is not enough instructors. I was offered a full time nursing faculty position at a prestigious local private university for a whopping $25 $28 K a year, (oh, we would like for you to finish your PhD as well...) the state college was for $30 K for 9 month contract. .. no, thanks . I make more as an ambulance driver :wink: ..

R/r 911

Ridryder 911

Are your professors tenured or on track for tenure?

If they are adjunct, they are probably paid at a semester or quarter hour rate which translates to hourly. That would be not much in yearly income if only teaching a couple of classes.

Try Oklahoma State; non-tenured nursing prof start at $45k. I understand this is on par with what a nurse makes in the hospital working 3 -12 hr shifts/wk.

In Florida, the start at $60k which is on track with was a Florida nurse would make at 3 - 12 hr shifts per wk - no OT.

California; $80k - $100k easily.

The only way I could match what I make now and with good benefits if I worked fulltime in EMS:

I would have to work at a high paying Fire Department EMS like San Francisco and pick up every OT shift available.

And I live and work in the South.....

You put it nicely earlier where instructors do not know how to teach. I believe for credibility, the B.S. should be in your field with experience. The Masters should be in in your field and/or education.

Again we have plenty of nursing MSN applicants for teaching positions at the university, we just don't have instructors applying. Nurses want teaching positions because; the hours are great, no night shift, not being yelled at everyday by pts, doctors, administration, burned out of pt care, politices are too much, JCAHO rules are making it difficult to perform simple tasks for the pt, paperwork (again JCAHO mandates) etc. A lot of nurses would like to get out of the hospital. Yes the money is great at the clinical level and the 3 days/week are nice...but.

Explore the different tenure tracks at the University level if you really want to teach.

Teaching in a university system can be a nice and comfy job with perks.

Yeah, I'm pro education. Over 30 years, I've watched every allied health profession advance to a respected level recognized by State and National policy makers..... except EMS.

There are always choices and a good role model can make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Professors at most major universities have a decent gig going for them. Many professors, especially once they receive tenure, have liberal leave policies. Summers are fairly light too...

Sabbaticals? I mean where else can you take an entire semester off to write a book and have your office, job, etc reserved for you when you return as if you never left?

EMS professors seem to, in my book at least, have a unique gig going for them. Not only can they collect their paycheck, but their professorship gives them unprecedented credentials to go on the lecture circuit, write books, be expert witnesses, etc. Some of these guys travel a good bit on someone else's ticket.

AND...on the side they can work a part-time job as a field medic depending on the area. Once you're done, you can go collect a check with some think-tank and make way more money in the private sector. This is especially true if you diversified your specialization into the realm of emergency management or some other subspecialty.

Ridryder 911

Are your professors tenured or on track for tenure?

If they are adjunct, they are probably paid at a semester or quarter hour rate which translates to hourly. That would be not much in yearly income if only teaching a couple of classes.

Try Oklahoma State; non-tenured nursing prof start at $45k. I understand this is on par with what a nurse makes in the hospital working 3 -12 hr shifts/wk..

Don't know what institution that is from ? The highest paid Nursing professor job I have seen offered is $38 K requiring a a PhD or DNSc. Unless you are discussing a chairperson position or one of the largest state university. Two of my associates was offered at the second highest tuition school in OK. a nursing professor full time position for $28 K a year ! They as well requested you have a Doctoral level within 6 yrs. They stayed in ER because they would have to take about a $15K year cut.

The average pay for RN's here is about $18-25 hr which is = $32-40k a yr. .. Managers make about $40-60k a year..

R/r 911