Hello my fellow Firefighting and EMS Professionals

emt_wolfe

Do you think that the costs of Paramedic school and training are too high?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I am new to EMT City, and I look forward to interacting with fellow Fire and EMS professionals. If you'd like, you may click on my webpage URL to find more information on me, as well as photos and links to my some of my friends' pages. Again, I look forward to meeting and interacting with you, and would enjoy any feedback that you may have. Thanks for reading, and may God bless us as we continually serve those that call upon us in critical times of need.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely, that the costs of attending Paramedic classes or school, has no comparison to the costs of obtaining training in other medical professions. However, in my state, the base pay for EMTs is well below the national standard, as seen in a recent study conducted by the NREMT. This low wage, plus scheduling conflicts often make obtaining higher levels of certification in the field of EMS, very difficult, if not impossible for some EMTs wishing to pursue their Paramedic, but cannot due to having to use what money they do have to support their families. The average cost of a paramedic class in my immediate area, ranges from $1500 to $5000, depending on which institution the student chooses to attend. Some may say that this costs is minimal and would be very easy to afford. However, for most Paramedic students, it is often hard to work, in the field, and also attend classes for their Paramedic at the same time. In most cases the student is forced to do this, because they have to support their families. While in Paramedic school, instructors often suggest not working, and concentrating on the student's studies. This is very nice in theory, but again usually not feasible. With the demand for quality Paramedics in my state, as well in the US as a whole, I believe that more institutions, should make attending Paramedic classes easier, while making the cost more affordable, designing coursework for students with hectic schedules, ex. shift work, but should also strive to maintain the high standards and excellence in training as outlined in the NREMT.

Most programs associated with colleges will allow you to apply for financial aid (grants, loans, etc). I was paying 10k for an 11 month medic program and seeing it was through a college I got a Pell grant for 3 semesters which helped considerably.

I tried to apply for a Federal Pell Grant, but unfortunately, my husband and I fall just above the cutoof point that would make me elligible for aid. So I am going to have to find a way to pay for school with my own money. I also applied for a signature loan for this purpose, and in this case I was unable to be approved because of my past credit history. You did have a good idea though. Thanks for your reply.

Although, it is inexcusable that EMS personnel make horrible salaries, there are as many other health care workers that are comparable and even have a higher education requirement. Just like, all other professionals, student loans and grants, scholarships should be investigated.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Are you working right now with an agency? If you are ask them if they have a program similar to the company I'm with, they give a discount to employees and will put them on a payment plan if need be which takes so much out per check. Also check into loan forgiveness programs with either the company or your state. I've heard of some companies paying off portions if you work for x amount of time and then up here in ND if you work for a medic you get 2k back per year on your loans.

Also on your myspace you state you want to go to medical school. Why are you thinking about going for medic school first?

I want to take steps. I started my studies for my pre-med, five years ago, and left school to be with a guy I was dating at the time. Stupid me huh. Anyways, I would like to work for a few years as a medic prior to entering medical school. I enjoy working in the field. Medical school is just a long term goal I have. Thanks for your suggestions though. I will check to see if my state has similar programs that will be of benefit to me.

I started my studies for my pre-med, five years ago, and left school to be with a guy I was dating at the time. Stupid me huh. Anyways, I would like to work for a few years as a medic prior to entering medical school. I enjoy working in the field. Medical school is just a long term goal I have.

Forget it. You don't have a snowball's chance. Not enough discipline or dedication, and your credits are too old now. You'd be starting over from square one, yet you can't even afford to go to school full-time, much less give it the kind of effort you'd need to be competitive. Continuing to talk about it will only cause other medics to laugh at you behind your back.

For that matter, it's looking like you don't have the discipline or dedication to be a paramedic either. Get your head straight or find another career before you're too old.

Tough love, baby! :lol:

I find your criticism to be very rude. You Sir have never worked with me, and are not at liberty to judge me for any reason. I am a very competent EMT, more so than many I know. I will make an excellent Paramedic as well. You should be ashamed of yourself, making fun of someone who wants to expand their training. I am sorry if I may not seem good enough for your definition of a good medic. As far as, leaving school in the past, you tell me one person that has not made a mistake in their lives, and then talk. I take my actions back then as a learning experience. I am not ashamed of them, nor am I ashamed to talk about them. If people want to laugh go ahead, I think I am a funny person. At least the people laughing at me can admire my desire and dedication to continue where I left off, and my trying to make the best of a financial situation that I am faced with. I do not have a lot of money, but I have been very blessed to have what I have, and a husband now that supports me in my decision to continue my education. I will be successful no matter what you may think, however I do value your response, and I thank you for it. It is people like you that make me try harder to achieve my goals, even though it is taking me a long time to reach them. I do hope that God blesses you, and softens your heart towards people. You need to be careful of who you are so quick to criticize, because the next person may not be so kind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.