Noloxone...should EMT-I's be able to administer?

Should EMT-I's be able to administer Narcan?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no, it's should be a paramedic drug only
    • undecided

well marty man you would make a great cheerleader.......ha ha ha :lol:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOO HOOO......I MADE IT GO OVER THE TOP.......TERRI DOES SO RULE...... :blob7: :wav: :angel13:

There it is 15 pages.

Way to go Terri. Congrats everyone!

:blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob7: :hello1: :headbang: :occasion9: :occasion8: :wav: :lol:/

Now can we, for the love of god, put this subject to rest!

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

GROW UP DUDE.....when you get a few more years under your belt call me we will talk......and i am not B bashing here but dont make a statemtent til you get the cert.....hey when you decide to implemtent this plan.....maybe we can do lunch or something...

:roll: :roll:

I will have my methods. I will have my ways. Lets just say that I'm looking at 8-9 years (ok, maybe I used the term "few" a little loosly) more of education that does not include "the cert." Grant it, it doesn't look like you have "the cert" yet either. Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot?

NARCAN prevents or reverses the effects of opioids including respiratory depression, sedation and hypotension. Also, NARCAN can reverse the psychotomimetic and dysphoric effects of agonist-antagonists such as pentazocine.

NARCAN is an essentially pure opioid antagonist, i.e., it does not possess the "agonistic" or morphine-like properties characteristic of other opioid antagonists. When administered in usual doses and in the absence of opioids or agonistic effects of other opioid antagonists, it exhibits essentially no pharmacologic activity.

NARCAN has not been shown to produce tolerance or cause physical or psychological dependence. In the presence of physical dependence on opioids, NARCAN will produce withdrawal symptoms. However, in the presence of opioid dependence, opiate withdrawal symptoms may appear within minutes of NARCAN administration and subside in about 2 hours. The severity and duration of the withdrawal syndrome are related to the dose of NARCAN and to the degree and type of opioid dependence.

While the mechanism of action of NARCAN is not fully understood, in vitro evidence suggests that NARCAN antagonizes opioid effects by competing for the µ, [kgr ] and [sgr ] opiate receptor sites in the CNS, with the greatest affinity for the µ receptor.

When NARCAN is administered intravenously (I.V.), the onset of action is generally apparent within two minutes. The onset of action is slightly less rapid when it is administered subcutaneously (S.C.) or intramuscularly (I.M.). The duration of action is dependent upon the dose and route of administration of NARCAN. Intramuscular administration produces a more prolonged effect than intravenous administration. Since the duration of action of NARCAN may be shorter than that of some opiates, the effects of the opiate may return as the effects of NARCAN dissipates. The requirement for repeat doses of NARCAN will also be dependent upon the amount, type and route of administration of the opioid being antagonized.

PRECAUTIONS

General

In addition to NARCAN, other resuscitative measures such as maintenance of a free airway, artificial ventilation, cardiac massage, and vasopressor agents should be available and employed when necessary to counteract acute opioid poisoning.

Abrupt postoperative reversal of opioid depression may result in nausea, vomiting, sweating, tremulousness, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, seizures, ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, and cardiac arrest which may result in death. Excessive doses of NARCAN in postoperative patients may result in significant reversal of analgesia and may cause agitation (see PRECAUTIONS and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION ; Usage in Adults - Postoperative Opioid Depression ).

Several instances of hypotension, hypertension, ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, and cardiac arrest have been reported in postoperative patients. Death, coma, and encephalopathy have been reported as sequelae of these events. These have occurred in patients most of whom had pre-existing cardiovascular disorders or received other drugs which may have similar adverse cardiovascular effects. Although a direct cause and effect relationship has not been established, NARCAN should be used with caution in patients with pre-existing cardiac disease or patients who have received medications with potential adverse cardiovascular effects, such as hypotension, ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation, and pulmonary edema. It has been suggested that the pathogenesis of pulmonary edema associated with the use of NARCAN is similar to neurogenic pulmonary edema, i.e., a centrally mediated massive catecholamine response leading to a dramatic shift of blood volume into the pulmonary vascular bed resulting in increased hydrostatic pressures.

Drug Interactions

Large doses of naloxone are required to antagonize buprenorphine since the latter has a long duration of action due to its slow rate of binding and subsequent slow dissociation from the opioid receptor. Buprenorphine antagonism is characterized by a gradual onset of the reversal effects and a decreased duration of action of the normally prolonged respiratory depression. The barbiturate methohexital appears to block the acute onset of withdrawal symptoms induced by naloxone in opiate addicts.

Speaking of horses beaten to a pulp, my horse finished 6th in the Derby today. :x

Back to you regularly scheduled thread.

Mine came in third. How you not root for a horse with a cool name like Steppenwolfer? 8) Oh well...maybe next year.

Hmmmm...I wonder if Narcan can be given to racehorses? :lol:

From my veterinarian friend:

Yes, narcan is used on horses.

You only really need to be a vet. tech to push the drug, a DVM orders it.

Yeah those junkie race horses can be a real problem. ODing in the back alleys of race tracks across America.

A vet tech can push narcan and it doesn't hurt the 'real' doctor's feelings? The vet techs should want to educate themselves more. What a disgrace to the field of veterinarian medicine! If you were a horse would you rather have a licensed vet or a vet tech give you a medication? :shock: *note sarcasm*