Noloxone...should EMT-I's be able to administer?

Should EMT-I's be able to administer Narcan?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no, it's should be a paramedic drug only
    • undecided

I know this is just a dream...but perhaps we should level the playing field across the nation, I know that some states allow certain interventions under local protocol, but as we have seen here things seem to vary quite a bit from state to state.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe some of us DO have plans. We're just a few or more years away from being in any sort of place to even attempt to implement it.

GROW UP DUDE.....when you get a few more years under your belt call me we will talk......and i am not B bashing here but dont make a statemtent til you get the cert.....hey when you decide to implemtent this plan.....maybe we can do lunch or something...

Just don't get it.. part of the problem of EMS is having multiple levels. Why is there even such? Because, the persons entering the field really have no true desire to go into full force patient care. Make all the excuses you want.. I have probably have heard them before at least a couple of hundred of times. Yes, it is tough to go to school and work full time.. I know, I have 4 college degrees, and working on another one, and while working 24 hr shifts, also having a wife and child so YES it can be done..

All other professions is not any harder than EMS, it is those that enter realize that they have to either a) have to work more, to pay for school, and study harder :P obtain student loans, and pay them off with interest later. Having multiple levels has damaged the EMS system beyond repair, again the patient suffers.

In comparison, if you were a patient in an E.R.; which one would you rather see or be treated by an R.N., or a certified medication aide ?.. Both can administer medicines...

If you are going to have the responsibility and duties to administer medication(s), one should have a thorough understanding of pharmacology effects, both physiologically and cellular, as well as to be able respond clinically to all effects desired and untoward. That is the responsibility of being able administer medications.

Far as not going through completion of program, EMS educators and leaders need to be awaken now! Look at how poor and degrading the system has become since allowing "excusable" multi-levels. Yes, in the beginning, (as they were initially designed) to have ALS UNTIL Paramedic programs were developed. They were NEVER intended or designed to EVER replace the capabilities of a Paramedic.

BE safe,

R/r 911

Bottom line, there are alot of people who worked VERY hard, and have given up ALOT to OBTAIN the certification of PARAMEDIC! If you want to administer ALS drugs, don't cut corners, work hard and get the cert!! 1500 hours is a little more then 215!!!! Do the math!!!

It is a SLAP in the face to the PARAMEDIC, who has undergone extensive training, to be UNDERSCORED by a wanna-be. I have 2 months left, and I will have mine, NOW, GET YOURS :evil:

If you are mad at this statement, then GET OVER IT!!! :twisted:

:lol: Is there a bonus for having a post with this many pages and having a poll still half/half?

There seems to be more people (paramedics) voicing their NO vote and why they think it should be that way...

but there still are that agree that haven't voiced their reasoning.

:D/ on to page 15!! Gee, is there enough anger and hatred on this thread to make it to 20 :roll: .

Some people have really gotten their panties/boxers/briefs in a wad over this one... :bootyshake:

It's obvious at this point that this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp.

Speaking of horses beaten to a pulp, my horse finished 6th in the Derby today. :x

Back to you regularly scheduled thread.