I Feel very strongly I was right, give my you thoughts.

miniemt

Look, let's stop wasting time discussing it.. She was nuttier than a fruitcake. The motor was running but no one was behind the wheel. The elevator doesn't stop at all floors. A couple of bricks short of a load. A couple of cans short of a six pack. Looney Toons. Scooters.

:shock: Put the medic on the stretcher....sit her slightly upright...place her on 15L via NRB.......and tell her that Medik8 says that SHE needs the 02 to feed her STARVING BRAIN CELLS!!!

WTF??!!??! :roll:

xoxo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

miniemt, I feel your pain... Though new to this profession I understand how frustrating life can be when you are correct in your actions, no matter what you are doing.

We are trained as EMTs to provide basic life support, keeping a patient breathing is usually near the top of my list(ha).

This is apparently not a medical issue but a personal one of your medic. (Couldn't handle the pressure so directed frustration tward the "little EMT.")

I'm sure that when you make medic you'll keep your cool and complement your "little helper".

Job well done.

I have no idea why she took the patient off of the NRB. Was the patient fighting the NRB? What was the patients vital signs?

Someone that doesn't know how to use oxygen is being allowed to be a lead medic by the company and the other medics don't speak-up, the supervisor doesn't step in???

Exactly. I still stand behind my call for termination for mistreating a fellow employee, as well as decertification for incompetence. There was NO excuse whatsoever for either of those actions.

As for a lack of supervisor action, if nobody files a report, nothing can be done. But if a report has been filed and nothing was done, then yes, this company serious problems and I would not want to work there. And I would have no respect for anybody who chose to continue to work there without at least trying to fix the situation.

tinman was right. The medic was scared stiff and had no idea what to do so she screamed at miniemt. Insecure and stupid; a lethal combination.

To OZ!

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Miniemt; I think I know the answer to your question. High flow oxygen can dry out the mucus membranes of nasal and oral cavity, this could slightly increase the risk of nose bleed. I would not want a nose bleed to cause airway problems for my patient who has been stabbed multiple times and may already be in respiratory distress. Oh man, I just could not live with causing more blood loss from a small nose bleed on a potentially hypovolemic patient by giving them high flow oxygen. :? (Please note: lots of sarcasm and humor intended.) This is the only possible answer I can come up with. The human brain never ceases to amaze me. :D

Take care,

chbare.

Dude, you had me going for the first half of this post! The more I read, the closer my jaw got to the floor! :laughing5:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.