Commercial showing EMS as thieves

And the Secret Service won't really start dancing if you play the Six Flags theme song.

No, they'd probably shoot you. Every time I play that song, someone throws something blunt at me. :-P

It's called "We Like To Party! (The VengaBus)" by the Venga Boys.

And yes, I have the mp3 here somewhere. It's a great way to get something blunt thrown your direction. ;-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they'd probably shoot you. Every time I play that song, someone throws something blunt at me. :-P

It's called "We Like To Party! (The VengaBus)" by the Venga Boys.

And yes, I have the mp3 here somewhere. It's a great way to get something blunt thrown your direction. ;-)

Ahh, that takes me back to grade 8...

I'm not really offended by this ad. But....... Unfortunately I live in an area that has more than it's share of humans with small intelligence. I have found out that these people believe what the see on TV and in print or read on the NET. How else do mags like the Midnight Globe, National Enquirer etc... make so much money w/ stories like a 2 headed alien talks to the President. And guess what... these same people get elected to small town councils and county political seats.

All it takes is one bad EMS apple to spoil it for all EMS in an area. These "Believers" never forget and they associate one instance on everyone. (Anyone remember segregation in the South?).

Now picture any problems that you had 10 years ago and this commercial airs. Hope you can get the picture of what I'm saying. Anyway, I think it can and will affect some Prehospital Providers in a negative way.

Maybe some of you received this: A Message from the President of NAEMT

As the President of the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians I want you to know that I am as upset and furious as you are about the Olympus Stylus 710 camera advertisement campaign that portrays two paramedics stealing a camera belonging to an accident victim.

NAEMT was made aware of this advertisement early yesterday morning and immediately contacted The Martin Agency who put together the advertisement for Olympus. We spoke to a representative, sent the email below and wrote a letter. We are awaiting their corporate response to our request that they terminate this advertisement immediately. I was in meetings all day yesterday so I asked Lauren Ostrow one of our NAEMT Communications Consultants to send the letter below on my behalf.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all what you do for EMS and to remind you to stay focused on providing quality patient care. Don't let advertisement like this discourage you from being the best you can be. Remember NAEMT is here for you. NAEMT represents Emergency Medical Service Personnel through advocacy, educational programs and research.

NAEMT will keep you informed, stay safe!

Respectfully,

Ken Bouvier, President NAEMT

The following email message below was sent 04/26/06 to The Martin Agency:

I am writing in reference to an advertising campaign that The Martin Agency has put together to launch the Olympus Stylus 710 camera. The ad portrays two paramedics stealing a camera belonging to an accident victim.

The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), which represents more than 20,000 paramedics and EMTs, find this advertisement offensive and urges you to pull it from circulation immediately.

NAEMT has worked very hard to elevate the profession of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) from its origins in the funeral industry more than 30 years ago. Today, the dedicated men and women in EMS are trained professionals. We are proud of the services we provide, and we do whatever we can to put our best foot forward to the American public.

While I recognize that your ad campaign intends to show that even the most ethical people (paramedics, Girl Scouts etc.) are pushed to do unethical things by the great value of the Olympus camera, we nonetheless feel that this advertisement undermines the efforts that we have made to teach the public that paramedics and EMTs are trusted, valued and important

members of the health care system.

Your advertisement, although intended to be tongue-in-cheek, has the potential to dissuade people from calling 911 in an emergency for fear that the paramedics who respond to their side might be incompetent or untrustworthy.

Please consider that your underlying message may be harmful to the very citizens that you are hoping to attract and that we have already heard from some viewers of your advertisement who find it not only misleading, but also offensive.

We think the best course of action would be to terminate this series of advertisements immediately, rather than risk alienating potential customers who find your humor untenable.

Thank you in advance for considering this request and for replying to this email as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Lauren Simon Ostrow

NAEMT Communications Consultant

For NAEMT President Ken Bouvier[/font:03cff897f2]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.