Shift Ninjas?

Moosey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where i work there are married couples, dating couples, seeing each other behind someones back couples all working the same shift. i personally could not do it, but if it worked and you can stand to spend all you time together, go for it, i know lots of people that it worked for.

Most management, frown upon personal relationship(s) at place of employment. If there becomes a problem in relationship, there is a problem at work. This does not make good working relations with other crew members & patronization can soon be indicated. I have worked in EMS for over 25+ yrs, & I have seen nothing but trouble with on-crew relationships (married or other wise) resentments build among crew members very fast & some consider unprofessional ism can be accused.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

• 2 weeks later...

Most major agencies and ambulance companies have policies regarding relationships in the work place. The company that I work for will not allow for family members to work together, especially if one is in a position to supervise or discipline. I guess an employer can not stop people from dating, but we must all remember that sometimes relationships do go bad and that's when the problems begin. I guess if we want to be seen as professionals then we should keep it professional.

• 3 months later...

We have lots of people that work to gether and are in relaytionships or married. The only people we seem to come across are other ambulance personnell and nurses, so its bound to happen. As far as working together it really depends on the couple. It can be a help to our resource centre as its easier to cover a vehicle if they know theu have a couple.

As long as it does not affect the operational capability, management can do nothing about it. In the UK at least.

I have seen many people, partnes or otherwise start relationships in EMS that always end up in a really nasty breakup, not to mention that the word travels fast through the departments.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot get your cert, apply for the job, and in the interview say "My girlfriend also applied here, and we would like to work the same shifts."

You'll never get hired. Not to mention that even if you do get hired, you won't be picking your own shifts for some time. Have to work up in the ranks a little.

Yep, I know form bitter experiance that is true. If some ting is wrong it can go round the world faster than broardband. But they are a lot of people were I am that have been together for a long time.

ok both emt-b's so unless its a bls transfer company they wouldnt reun the same car anyways. and if ur new to the company AND a new emt u prob woun't have the choice to be together anyways. maybe same shift but newbies or rookies often dont get to choose thier shifts for personal reasons maybe for school but....ur pushing it unless u have REALLY REALLY cool sups and they have losts of shifts to fill, its highly unlikely.

my two cents

~Ambo

I can understand where he is coming from on this all, however. I mean, if he and his girlfriend work the same shift, that allows time at home, that sounds reasonable. Trust me, my girlfriend and I work opposite shifts, and don't get much time to get out together.

However, to work the same BLS Tx car together, don't bet on it.

As said, it is not likely. My GF and I both work for different counties full time. But, we both work PT for a third county. They will not allow us to work a 24 shift together, but we do work 12 shifts together. We run ALS trucks at a MC race track. They prefer that we work this truck together. We work very well together and know what the other needs before hand. We are very good at traumas when together.

But, I still would not want to be together full time. You do need a break from each other!!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.