emt-b pay scale

I work in Orange County, CA, one of the richest counties in the nation, and make 7.65 an hour, with time-and-a-half after 40 hours and an average 72 hour work week. It's probably one of the worst paid counties in the nation when adjusted for cost of living.

Wow. I work in a working class part of MA and they start BLS at $10-something, then pay for years of EMS experience. Don't you have really high gas prices out there too? I keep hearing rumors of regular costing upwards of $4/gallon, but never researched it...

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in Orange County, CA, one of the richest counties in the nation, and make 7.65 an hour, with time-and-a-half after 40 hours and an average 72 hour work week. It's probably one of the worst paid counties in the nation when adjusted for cost of living.

And that's because we have a ton of pre-meds at UCI that are basics. I know of at least 2 companies out here that start out at or over $10/hr working 12 hour shifts. Time and a half after 8 hours, double after 12. There's a reason a lot of people commute from Riverside.

And that's because we have a ton of pre-meds at UCI that are basics. I know of at least 2 companies out here that start out at or over $10/hr working 12 hour shifts. Time and a half after 8 hours, double after 12. There's a reason a lot of people commute from Riverside.

I don't understand what you're saying. I don't make a lot of money because of UCI basics? Not really, considering in South County out of about 100 EMTs I know, none are UCI students.

The County and our Union the local 1826 chapter of the IAFF last week had just agreed last week on our new pay scale for the next 3 years.

Lee County EMS pays the following:

EMT's starting is $39,808 and maximum is $57,761 per year

Paramedics starting is $43,903 and maximum is $72,512 per year

We yearly get a 4.3% COLA increase on top of a 4% yearly raise across the board.

Pay is negotiable based on yrs experience and maintained certifications. Exp: CCEMT-P, ACLS instructor, PALS instructor, ITLS instructor,BLS instructor, etc You get a maximum 10% increase in your salary for certifications but I think they're 2% each.

Our main work shift are 24 hrs on / 48 hrs off

We also have 3 12 hr peak time trucks which work a 12 hr rotation that I'm sure most of you are all aware of.

OT is built into our schedule so most of the time you wont have to work. We are paid based on a 56 hr work week and we get 2 big checks with over 40 hrs of OT after working just our regualr schduled shifts for that pay period and one small check. OT is in abundace here and there is no limit to the amount of OT you can do. OT is paid at a rate of time and a half and mandatory OT is double time. Manadtory OT is based on a senority ladder that roates through everybody before it repeats itself. Like me I usually get mandatoried 1 every 2 years.

We have full Benefits including 100% paid medical, dental, vision, short term, long term disability, pention in the Florida Retirement System, which means now you work 20 yrs and retire with a full pention.

We also belong to a union the IAFF Local 1826 District 2 LCEMS union who continually negotiates with the county for better life here at LCEMS.

We also have 2 helicopters, a brand new EC-145 and a BO-105. So for those of you who have flight cert, we are hiring flight medics!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.