emt-b pay scale

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad how little things have progressed on the pay scale in the last 15 years or so, Back in 1991 I worked as an industrial EMT and made $6.76 an hour and that was far and above what the people on the street were making. I know of a few services that to this day have a top pay of like $6.50 an hour for EMT-B's.

I guess other fields must get paid bad in those areas, I just can't see someone being able to live on less then $10 an hour let alone $6.75 an hour I love what I do too, but I'm not going to starve and do with out.

While the cost of living keeps going up, the pay scale either remains in a holding pattern, or seems to get worse. It's been a while since I had to worry about what an EMT-B makes, but I can say that I remember what it was like. I can proudly say that I offer a more lucrative salary for the EMTs that work for me, with incentives to stay. My service, MedZone EMS offers $9.50 an hour for EMTs fresh out of school or with little or no experience. In addition, I guarantee at least 20 hours a week in overtime, events thus giving them more opportunity to earn some extra cash without much stress, free CPR recert, and free CEUs.

I understand that it may not compensate for what an individual may feel that they are worth, but then again I feel secure in knowing that I can do whjat I can to help improve the quality of life. Besides, how many of us were breaking down the doors to outr respective schools to get trained in life saving techniques, running with lights and sirens, and playing John Gage and Roy DeSoto for the money?????? I didn't. In fact I was pushed into this line of work via the Army once upon a time. Now, it seems that I am not happy unless my genitalia is in a vise, or getting shot at, or having to go affect a sick person in a ratty neighborhood.

There was a time in history when being a Nurse was considered one of the worst jobs to have, now it has become a very lucrative career field with strong support and a demand for their services that has a net return of excellent pay. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??? Could we benefit from that type resource at our disposal? Maybe I'm just spitballing here, but then again, that's just my two cents.

RogueMedic

MedZone EMS

Operations Manager.

I work for a private company at a steel mill, we get around the 9.50 mark. Its at minimum 2 dollars more than the 911 services in Western PA get.

I also work at a Steel Mill. I'm contracted through a Security company. I make $10.50 per hour. I was looking to change jobs so sent out a few applications. Got a job offer from a major private ambulance service. They are begging for Basics and Medics. Their pay rate? Just $7.18 per hour for riding a 24 hour truck. :shock: I can get a job flipping burgers for more than that. I think I'll stay at the mill.

7.18 an hour on a 24 hour truck puts you at just around 20K a year and that is just factoring straight time, I did not even take the time to calculate the built in OT. SO basically you should be around 24K/yr at a minimum. How can you say a burger flipping job is better than that when you are making 24k a year for 120 hours of education and you are doing what you like instead of going home covered in grease and smelling like a burger joint?

I know here at my station we work 10 or 11 days a month. Thats about 120 days a year and a basic makes about $30,000.00 +. Not bad money for 10 days a month. If it's not enough then you have time to work a day job and make up for the difference. Granted, our department pays better than most in the state but there are always ways of making extra money. I work my full time job as a Child Protection Worker and part time EMS. At $8.82/hour (part time) and working 80 hours every two weeks I do pretty well. It sucks to work two full time jobs but I have obligations to take care of. We do what we have to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.