Difficulties with Paramedics as EMT's

In a case where they are sending the EKG to the receiving facility it would change my feelings. Here we don't send our EKG's though. We are responsible for interpreting them. We can notify the hospital via radio of anything that we see coming in. Under this system, it would open up too much room for interpretation of treatment where the provider doesn't have enough education to make appropriate decisions. Like you said, I'm not against basics having more skills. But before that can happen, they need more education.

Shane

NREMT-P

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, The idea is that we will be doing the EKG and completing the reperfusion checklist in the field and the doc will have already seen the EKG and will be waiting with needle in hand.

I agree that is BLS providers want more stand alone skills than they should have more education. But that being said, It only takes a short time to learn how to do an IV. What if they were allowed to start an IV only when and where their ALS partner told them to and no other time at all?

I have to agree with your partner. If an EMT-B is going to perform a 12-lead but not be able to read it, what's the point? This also opens the door for an EMT-B to make a decision based on what they percieve from a 12-lead. This happened here in Connecticut and they found that BLS providers would obtain an EKG and rule out the need for an ALS intercept based on what they saw. If a basic can't read it, it probably shouldn't be done by them. It doesn't take that long for a paramedic to obtain a 12-lead.

Shane

NREMT-P

Please re-read my post. I said nothing about reading a EKG as a Basic, just the placement of electrodes.

Attaching electrodes , etc. is not a big deal, as long as it is placed properly, in which I have seen many Paramedics even place wrong. We have ER & EKG techs that do it all day, and never had pre-formal training.

Spiking a bag, setting up an IV as well is not a compicated procedure.. actually all of these should be taught in the basic EMT level. Does this mean you can perform the procedure itself or interpert the readings ...of course not. But, medicine has always had assistants to prepare and assist in tests, & procedures.

R/r 911

Yes Rid, we learned all those things in Basic class Spiking a bag, IV setup et al. A portion of the class called ALS assist. I like the fact I can do things to help my medic partner. If I can free her to perform more advanced procedures like starting IV's or placing a ET tube, then It's a good thing. Or am I wrong here?

Well, since no one thus far has a idea what this thread was meant for, let me offer an example, and others can follow in kind.

Issues with medics from the BLS level

1.) Paragod mentalities. Simply stated, the "i am god, and no one measures up to me"

2.) you went to school to become a medic. I know your tired, but when your sleepy, chest pain doesnt become BLS.

3.) If I ask you a question, it doesnt mean i dont know the answer, im likely making sure were on the same wavelength.

4.)If I dont complain about my 10 charts, dont complain about 1 code. I dont care. You went to medic school to treat ALS patients. Deal with it, no whining.

5.) You dont need 30-20g needles, 400 alcohol swabs, 80 tournequets. These is NO REASON to stock the truck 4 times past the state standards. This is a sign of insecurity.

6.)If the patients obviously BLS, why do you have to start the assessment? Thumb lac is a thumb lac, yo.

More to come...with positive answers to making this better.

Good start. I can relate to all of those. You know what that means?

It means that the medics with those issues have them even if their partner is a medic. EMT's shouldn't get all defensive about this situation, because usually their cert level has nothing to do with it. Those medics are lazy jerks no matter who their partner is. I've experienced the same issues with medics who had half my experience. Jerks are jerks.

I don't want an assistant.

I want a partner.

Working on it Dust. :wink:

I don't have the above problems with my medic partner, so I guess I can't continue with this thread.

Maybe, just maybe, it is the Basics fragile ego that contributes to the thought of the medic talking down to them. When I'm at work it is a good working relationship. Do things get tense sometimes? Sure. But when it's all said and done, the pt's well being is our main goal, as should be everyones. I really don't care about EMS politics. That's not why I signed up. If a medic knows more than me, I'm all ears, if it sounds logical and it works, that's kewl and something to take note of for future reference.

Please re-read my post. I said nothing about reading a EKG as a Basic, just the placement of electrodes.

I realize you said nothing about reading EKG's as a basic. In fact, you said that you would not be doing so. I asked the question of if you're not able to read it, why are you doing it? nsmedic393 actually provided a good answer. And if your system will have the capability to transmit EKG's, I'm all for it. Otherwise, in my opinion you open up the door for people to try to interpret and base decisions off of what they see with not enough education.

Shane NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.