Difficulties with EMT's as a Paramedic

I want to say that at least here in the organization I work for, We have alot of very super paramedics, and the thing that I find when I step back and watch the paramedics deal with the wet behind the ears new EMTs are that they tell them, get in there and get your hands dirty, I am not talking about doing something that could potentially kill someone, but get in there, put 4x4's on the bleeding while the paramedic is dealing with more life threatening things. Too many times I have seen EMT's go on a call as a new EMT and when the patient is in the back they just sit there with that deer in the headlights look. That patient that is lying on the stretcher is the same patient that you read about in your EMT book and the same patient that you practiced on in your skills. Thank goodness for the place I work, I have been an EMT for 18 years and so far, knock on wood, everyone I have partnered with loves to work with me, and no i am not patting myself on the back, but i have the experience behind me, and the paramedics value my knowledge just as much as I value theirs. I agree whole heartedly that I think Education needs to be more intense and along with that have more of the old timers to add the words of wisdom I have heard over the years which leads to common sense. I am going for my paramedic this fall, and I will be damned if I ever forget where I came from or where I have been. Both paramedics and EMTs should work as a team, because if not, then you might as well shut your ambulance doors and call it a night.

REMOVED - ADMIN

So someone who writes a clear, concise post promoting that education would help to further our field is being a "fucking ass-hole?" I'm a little confused here. While dust is often abrasive, he's passionate about his view points. And more often than not can certainly back them up with solid theory. You have to respect that in someone. He's not just saying that education is the answer, he's saying that and then explaining why. If you disagree with it, feel free to post your viewpoints for debate. And don't forget to back them up with some theory. It goes a long way.

Shane

NREMT-P

PS-A personal attack on someone really does nothing for you. Your post was quite a contribution to this thread. Not sure what we would have done without it. If you have a different point of view, let's hear it.

Let's be fair to 7fissy here. Maybe he's just uneducated to the point that he can't read what Dust wrote. Maybe if we sent him back for a solid education he could wax a little more eloquently...or at least spell and use appropriate punctuation.

7: just because you don't like what Dust wrote doesn't mean you have to sound like a 12 year old talking tough. Intelligent conversation will get you much farther than simple grade school name calling.

Got something to constructive to contribute? Have at it. Blowing smoke? Pardon us if we ignore you from now on.

Dust has it down. The *ONLY* way to change this profession is education. There is no other way to do it. And if you don't want to hack it, please move on to something else.

-be safe.

There wouldn't be many willing to do 2 years of training to start work in the low-rent district of EMS.

Perhaps a paid internship after the basic level is acquired, would be appropriate. This way the person could continue through to medic while being evaluated for approval to the next level. This could include a communication equivalent but the basic associates core is not useful. Medic levels could then be obtained through a medic internship. These levels would include leadership courses similar to NCO level and testing similar to medical interns.

If nothing else, the clinical time has got to be increased for basics. I saw a head lac and one splint on my 3 whole days in clinical. How can I be a functioning basic when I have hardly seen any real-world care? I could answer any A&P question you have, but I couldn't package a pt or work the equipment on an ambulance right out of school. I barely saw the inside of one. I don't think it will be difficult to learn, but I don't think the responsibility should fall to the medic to give me the reps either.

On the plus side, I have done more than most basics will ever do as an Army medic. Most of it applies to clinical medicine but I have learned alot about hx taking and focused medical exams. I have also done IVs in the field with critical soldiers where I was the one to recognize and treat them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.