Do You Dream About Work?

I'm not even working in the field yet, except for ride-alongs, but last night I found myself dreaming of being in a hospital with a nurse reviewing the six medications EMTs could administer. Of course there's always the little quirks in it, like them replacing the Epi-Pens with Advil, that you don't notice until you wake up.

Do you guys find yourself going home after a long shift only to go back on duty in your sleep?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've definitely run through scenes again in my dreams... not always bad.. sometimes just noticing things I hadn't before... sometimes I'll dream about things I'm worried about, like one of my sick friends having to go to the hospital and how all that would work. Sometimes I'll go back to before I was an EMT and things that I saw or that happened that I would have responded to differently now.

Definitely have recurring dreams about my dorm catching on fire. Think it's because of the smokers below me- somehow their cig smoke gets vented into my bathroom (we're not supposed to smoke in this buidling). Anyway, I definitely have dreams about waking up to the fire alarm and trying to wake up all my roommates- even though it's never happened... and what I would do while doing that- like grabbing my cell phone etc. Definitely that dream feels like I'm on duty.

Wendy

NREMT-B

Well, I sleepwalk and sleep-talk quite often - drives my partners insane, more so when I am anxious about something or if something is bothering me.

A few months ago, I woke up on a night off and found my husband sleeping in the living room.

His response to my interrogation: "Baby, you said something about a needle and fastpatches and suddenly the couch looked really comfortable."

Sometimes I wish he weren't a medic, too - at least then he wouldn't understand what I was talking about at night. :)

I used to dream about work constantly.... I've effectively blocked out night-time references to my daily life.

Now I only dream of large-breasted brunettes.... Excellent trade off. 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.