EMT-ENHANCED - will be taking this test soon.....any advice?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMT- Enhanced is basically an advanced basic level. You get intubation, IV, & non-cardiac meds. Here in Virginia, all meds have to be cleared by med control before given. I'm at the Enhanced level right now. I'm using it as a step to Intermediate. I'm currently in a paramedic program and we were offered to test Enhanced at the end of our first of five semesters. I'm getting ready to test NREMT-I/99 next month. Basically, it'sa good way for me to practice and hone my IV/Intubation skills since we don't get to keep practicing them every night in class. I like the idea, but I'm with most of you guys. EVERY state needs to go to only having Basics & Paramedics. As far as the Enhanced test, I found it rather easy. Remember ABC's. honestly, I could've passed the Enhanced testing before ever starting an ALS program.

Here's some advice for the test. Study the skill sheets and practice until you feel comfortable with them. Study the book until you know it very well. If you do both of those things, the test should be rather easy. If you're a poor test taker, there isn't much that anyone here is going to be able to tell you that will help. Provided he was in a good class with a good instructor and put enough time and effort in, the test should come naturally.

Now that the advice is done with. I agree with others that there are too many different levels of providers allowed to do too many different procedures. There doesn't seem to be enough knowledge behind many of these programs to do this effectively. I like Rid's idea of limiting it to one or two providers. That would simply things and help to provide a standard of care across the board. Unfortunately, too many areas are going to say they can't afford that level of care or that it's too time demanding for people to do. But that's already been addressed more times than we would all care to remember. I see this "enhanced" EMT as a way of getting closer to ALS care w/o paying for it. The problem is that it's just enough information to be dangerous. Not so much to the provider, but the patient that you're ultimately treating. I wouldn't want someone who took only part of the training deciding what medication I need in order to fix my emergency. I want someone that has the benefit of a full training program behind them. There's a reason why paramedic schools are as long as they are. And also a reason why many have a high dropout rate. It's not the material itself, it's the amount of material you have to learn and understand in a short amount of time.

For those who want to perform advanced procedures and skill sets, there is a way to do it. It's called paramedic school. Don't take a shortcut. A good paramedic program (do your research before signing up) will provider you with the capability to perform at an ENTRY-LEVEL paramedic position. This will provide you with the knowledge, practice and skill set to be an adequate provider. There's no need to step through EMT-B, enhanced, I and paramedic. Especially since everything you cover in most of those classes will be repeated in greater depth in paramedic school. You're not learning something that won't be covered. Go to paramedic school, study hard and ask questions. Then after all the testing is done, you'll have a learners permit to go out and start practicing as a paramedic. There's always something left to learn and a test means you've met a minimum standard. Reach above and beyond that standard to provide the best care possible for your patients w/o taking shortcuts.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.