EMT-ENHANCED - will be taking this test soon.....any advice?

Just think! In today's society many people do not feel the need to go to school as long as others but want to help the community.

Many people might not think school is important, but look at any health profession and you will see that it is. Look at the history of medical dominance, look at how nursing is starting to eat away at some of that dominance, and look at how well BLS Paramedics in Ontario are paid even though there are many many applicants for very few jobs. What do these all have in common? Education.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im glad you all are giving this person full support by telling this person that emt-e is not the way to go. As far as I'm concerned THE LEVEL IS OUT THERE for us to take it and I do not see any reason not to. I was doing this level while I am in school full time for nursing. But thankx I have learned that I no longer want to be a part of EMT City because its sounds like yall do not want to support but think because you are at the top level you know everything. Well I am sorry I know some paramedics that I do not know how in the world they passed. Anyways yall have a good time hashing each other. And to the person getting ready to take the enhanced test GOOD LUCK! You will do fine if you just go in there knowing your stuff. P.S. know a lot about asthma and airway. I hope you learned a lot and GOOD LUCK!!!!

EMT-EN

Oh, Lord. There are so many things here that disturb me aside from the fact that they added yet another level to EMS.

First - EMT-EN is a shortcut. Period. You weren't in school long enough to become a paramedic, therefore, you took a shortcut. Everyone has heard all the excuses for not becoming a paramedic.

Second - How do you know that sometimes the only thing a patient needs to raise their BP is an IV? What are all the processes that can cause a drop in blood pressure? We'll just pick one. How about cardiac failure? Did you learn 12 and 15 lead interpretation? Can you assess a patient well enough to bet the bank they're not experiencing pump failure before you dump a ton of fluid on them? The alternative to drowning a patient is an inotrope. Bonus points if you learned what an inotrope was in school. Double points if you can name two inotropes.

Third - Is a "breathing treatment" really all some people need, or is it all you are able to provide at your advanced level? What exactly is your "breathing treatment?" Are you using Albuterol, or the Albuterol/Ipratropium combination? So you can fix a garden variety asthmatic, brilliant. Now fix the "some other problem" crashing CHF'er or the exacerbation COPD patient.

Fourth - This notion that you're helping your community by letting them think you're a paramedic is mind-boggling to me. I often wonder what the public would think if they knew how completely jacked up the EMS system is. Do you think a patient would want to see a Physician-EN over a Physician - Physician? Being seduced by educational shortcuts is not helping our plight to be seen as professional clinicians.

Finally - I like my monitor. I use it often. It's not invasive, minus the sticky residue. It's saved my behind a few times during my assessment process. I run a lot of 12 and 15 lead EKGs. I like them. It rarely changes my treatment modalities. I also like capnography. I like the idea of being able to listen, touch, and see things on my patients when I assess them.

I realize I hijacked this thread, so I'll close with my advice on passing the test...

Go to a good paramedic school, study hard, listen, learn, then take the paramedic test. In this job, you are not the only person you are cheating when you do not obtain the full education.

Excellent! Totally agree 100%

Im glad you all are giving this person full support by telling this person that emt-e is not the way to go. As far as I'm concerned THE LEVEL IS OUT THERE for us to take it and I do not see any reason not to. I was doing this level while I am in school full time for nursing. But thankx I have learned that I no longer want to be a part of EMT City because its sounds like yall do not want to support but think because you are at the top level you know everything. Well I am sorry I know some paramedics that I do not know how in the world they passed. Anyways yall have a good time hashing each other. And to the person getting ready to take the enhanced test GOOD LUCK! You will do fine if you just go in there knowing your stuff. P.S. know a lot about asthma and airway. I hope you learned a lot and GOOD LUCK!!!!

EMT-EN

Good luck in nursing school, while you are at it take an English and spelling class. If you can't handle this heat, you will never succeed in nursing, where they eat their young far more than here !

R/r 911

EMT-EN

There's nothing wrong with a good debate... unless of course you don't have anything left to say. If you decide to grace us with your presence again, please respond to my post above regarding education and advancing a profession.

EMT-EN

Oh FFS................

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how the world works. Wherever you go, wherever you are and no matter what career you work in chances are there is someone who is more educated, and more experienced than you. So it pisses me off royally when people come in here and chalk anybody with a differing opinion to yours as an elitist with a case of paragod syndrom.

Did you stop for one second and actually think that these people have their point of view because of the experience and education that you DO NOT have? Chances are no yopu havn't, because if you did you would understand why they are skeptical having gone through a hell of a lot more in order to perform the same interventions your ad-hoc course allows you to do.

If your attitude is "You guys are mean, im leaving" then rack off, there enough people here with dying swan syndrome as it is

As far as I'm concerned THE LEVEL IS OUT THERE for us to take it and I do not see any reason not to.

Tis more blessed to give than to receive.

When you're done "taking" from the profession, how about growing up and giving a little back?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.