Trauma or not?

Is there any pain with respiration?

Are there seat belt marks on the chest or abdomen?

Was he having trouble breathing while lying down?

PEARL?

Was the abdomen palpated?

Level I is all my little wide spot in the road has - two of them to be exact. We don't have the luxury of a Level II or III or even IV.

What I gave was LOCAL and STATE protocol. Gotta remember, my dear Rid, not every systems functions as Oklahoma does.

How ironic, and we wonder why the average life span of a Level I is < 5-10 years?... The need of a level I is definitely needed for appropriate patients. But to take all simple trauma patients to a level I is over taxing the system and is inappropriate as well as needless expense to patients.

So if grandma (restrained) strikes a car <10 mph, they have to go to a level I ?..

If that is the case, the system needs to be reviewed and revised. Look at American College of Surgeons guidelines of recommendations for Level I trauma care.. Even these are debated of being too liberal...

True not all places operate alike, (hence... the idea to study) but should be similar. HRSA developed national standards 15 years ago for states to adopt. (chart of those states in compliance and requirements ( http://www.hrsa.gov/trauma/survey/table2.htm ) Under the national system, most emergency departments are labeled as some level of trauma center, based upon their capabilities. Again, appropriate triaging is the key. Not everyone needs to be examined by a surgeon, especially the scenario described. Most likely this patient would categorized as a non urgent and definitely does not need a 5 figure trauma center bill...

Okay, the scenario is flawed. At 50 mph a decelerating stop. and no major interior damage ?.. hmm something wrong. Either wrong speed or something missed on description of vehicle. A sudden stop of a vehicle at 50 mph, by basic kinematics, will tell you differently of an assessment.

R/r 911

Alright guys....

Let me tell you what the outcome was....

We transported this guy non-emergent to the closest ER which happens to be the level II trauma center. In our county, this guy did meet the trauma alert criteria due to he being over 65 and involved in a MVC with a approx. speed above 45mph. He was set in stretcher triage. We got him transferred over and started the report. We got done and left the station. Got back to the station when a nurse from the ER called and asked for the PCR. We told her that we already gave them a copy. She told us that the guy was transferred to the trauma bay after we left. The trauma team had to be called in. The guy ended up having a pnemo. They did a chest tube and that's the last we heard....

I thought it was kinda funny....The ONE time you don't trauma alert someone, they turn into a trauma.

I would definately say trauma especially with his age and the fact the vehicle stopped dead in its tracks. That would definately warner some spinal precautions. I don't think it warrents lights and sirens however I would monitor carefully.

Just wondering, what were his lung sounds like? Any change in V/S in route? Granted, you already told us the outcome, but is there any thing that points to it?