What's missing on the ambulance and why?

1aCe3

Just curious. I know there are services - private companies that mainly do transfer services, but do take emergent calls as well. However, their ambulances are missing certain medications/equipment. This is for the BLS side. I've worked for a private company that lacks :

AED :shock: Kind of stupid if you ask me... An ambulance without an AED...

Albuterol

Activated Charcoal

ASA

Epi-pens

KEDS (They have shortboards)

These are seemingly not part of the part 800 as these vehicles pass DOT inspection. As if the BLS scope of practice isn't small enough to begin with...

Just to add... this company is huge.

Meh... sort of depends upon your definition of "emergent calls" I suppose.

If you're talking about nursing home transfers that *might* go bad, then oh well.

And similarly, if you're talking about EMS rejects who were told by the FD to call a private ambo for their stubbed toe, oh well.

But, if you are actually talking about a legitimately contracted 911 EMS provider who is running without this equipment, then you need to find out if your community is even requiring it before you blame the provider.

Of course, if you are talking about private non-emergency transfer ambo wankers who are jumping emergency runs that they know they have no business going on, have 'em strung up by their genitals.

Just curious. I know there are services - private companies that mainly do transfer services, but do take emergent calls as well. However, their ambulances are missing certain medications/equipment. This is for the BLS side. I've worked for a private company that lacks :

AED :shock: Kind of stupid if you ask me... An ambulance without an AED...

Albuterol

Activated Charcoal

ASA

Epi-pens

KEDS (They have shortboards)

These are seemingly not part of the part 800 as these vehicles pass DOT inspection. As if the BLS scope of practice isn't small enough to begin with...

Just to add... this company is huge.

Correct me if I misunderstood you here.....but as a basic, can you even give Aspirin and Albuterol?????...and in most cases...Epi Pens are only an assist by a basic...when the patient already has them... So, if this is a BLS truck...it wouldn't have those things...

The other things...yeah...stupid.

xoxo :wink:

Well...I know it depends on the area....but just thought I'd ask. Aspirin...meh... Albuterol...?? Just wondering is all....but yeah...if you are cleared to give these drugs, then the answer is a no-brainer. It's dumb not to have them. :dontknow:

xoxo

:x Yeah. Boo on the transfer work.. Getting my time in I suppose. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it much longer after medic school.

Albuterol is a medication that the BLS side is allowed to administer here in NYC via protocol. Although, as 2leads has said, I guess asthma is an ALS treatment, since that's not even enough...

Epi-pens are by assist usually, onboard epi (Correct me if I'm wrong here, its been a while) can be administered via medical direction when pt is exhibiting signs of anaphylaxis.

Dust, By emergent I mean like any other residential emergency. Although this company is mainly transfer, and they do have a 911 division that are participants of the FDNY, oddly, some people call this company (Transport Dispatch instead of FDNY 911) for emergencies instead of 911. This may be because they are used to calling this company for non-emergent transports, or perhaps they are seeking a specific language division. And yes, some nursing homes will also call the private, even if it's a dire emergency. If you ask me, they should just call 911 because of distance, and as I said earlier, a lack of equipment. However, it's because of this that I can actually get some semi- "911" experience. But what irks me is that we are missing so many things. Granted it's a lot more rare to need to use them, but since we are open to such emergent calls we should have them. I recieved an average of 2-3 emergent calls/ 3 days.

Here's a more dramatic example of the stupidity. BLS crew from this company recieved an emergent call in residence. Pt is supposedly just unreponsive. They get on scene and find the pt in cardiac arrest. And of course, they do not have an AED. So they do with what they have, ask dispatch for ALS, and being a private, they don't exactly have ALS crews all over the place. So what the heck does he do, the bls crew calls 911.... :shock: derr.

Here's a more dramatic example of the stupidity. BLS crew from this company recieved an emergent call in residence. Pt is supposedly just unreponsive. They get on scene and find the pt in cardiac arrest. And of course, they do not have an AED. So they do with what they have, ask dispatch for ALS, and being a private, they don't exactly have ALS crews all over the place. So what the heck does he do, the bls crew calls 911.... :shock: derr.

Too bad the dispatcher didn't have that same common sense in the very beginning.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.