Saved! New Paramedic Drama on TNT

How Ironic they actually had the gonads to advertise this pile of fresh feces of a show in one of the trade magazines for medics to watch... I hope the press monitors our board.. let the public know we are upset and personally are against of such poor representation of our profession.

Entertainment is one thing, then never show them at work have all the drama off duty, but don't reflect our profession..

R/r 911

I agree 100%. I assume you're talking about the full page ad in JEMS. How can a magazine have articles about professionalism and increasing education in EMS endorse this pathetic show? They should have watched a couple episodes first before accepting the check for that advertisement.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone be interested in doing a mass e-mail campaign to TNT and let them know our total disgust with this show? I would like to meet the one who is the " professional advisor" regarding the skills portion of the show. I know if it was me I would quit if they wouldn't make it look a little more realistic.

If it was "by the book", our book... It would be so lame, nobody would watch it.

It's true.. I wouldn't watch a show that was tantamount of my day.

I'm with most of you here, the second episode has done it for me... almost. I could NOT believe that the producers and medical advisors even had the thought to have a part in the episode where John "Sack" Hallon's CHILD went for a ride-along. I was livid when the CHILD put gloves on and found the finger, and the crazy ambulance driving was terrible. I'm about an episode away from hating this shitty show. :evil:

• 3 weeks later...
Meanwhile, on a general level, based on the comments here, I didn't realize all the smart ones were in EMS, and everyone else was dumb.

I know, I know...it's been addressed already. One thing though. Remember the old saying: "A person is smart...but people are stupid"? I think that applies here. I'll wager if you get 50+ people together...and pick a few of them individually, each would say they don't believe EMS/Rescue is really like that, per se'. Get the whole group together, and listen to them talk about it amongst themselves...you'll think TNT has started a rip-off of "Paramedics". "GAWWWWLLY Bubba! Didja see that thar' woman all blown up n' blue-like? I wunder how ago she kikt tha buckit!?!?!?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he ends up truly loving being a paramedic then let him show pride in himself and him service by dressing in the uniform and not having it unbuttoned, untucked, and open showing a concert tee shirt or what ever it is. and as far as being forced in to med. school by his father, sorry again, bad story line. Can not be forced into anything after 18yrs old. So that doesn't fly either. The statement made by whom ever about this being a hobby and not a career is the biggest problem. How someone could possibly think that a statement like that would not live in the mind of a kid or even an undecided adult that could be looking to make this a career is beyond me.

IF you have been reading the posts in other forums and notice the over all attitude of this site or at least of the main contributors you would know that professionalism and education are the paramount in the continued improvement as forward push of EMS. Those of us that have made this our careers and dedicated ourselves to the drive for professional recognition are the ones that can see the damage this can and will cause.

Paul Shapiro, Author of "Paramedic", he is/was an NYC EMS System Paramedic. He stated that once an attorney friend of his (who considered his being a paramedic to be hobby-like) saw him after several years, and asked Paul, "Paul, howzit goin'! You still doing that paramedic stuff?"...to which Paul replied, "Sure am...you still doing that law stuff?" Trust me, it's funny as heck if you read it yourself.

Race, I couldn't agree with you more. When I first saw that t-shirt crapola on the previews, I looked at my wife and said, NO "FREAKIN" WAY." The only way a tshirt is acceptable is if it's sanctioned by your Dept. Even though "LifeShield" appears to be a major fictitional EMS agency in Portland??, they'd still never allow werewolf-boy to wear band shirts or the like. That's so unprofessional it's disgusting. I wouldn't blame his father for not taking him seriously FOR REASONS LIKE THAT...but it's only TV, right? We know better...but the general populace may not!

I haven't read all of the thread posts before THIS post of MINE...only got as far as Race's that I just quoted...so I may speak about something that's already been addressed until it's cyanotic...but that female paramedic who didn't transport to the ER because she believed the story about the DNR (last night's episode)...I'd love to have her attend one of my in-service trainings :x Yeah, it's only TV...but how dare she shoot the EMT down in such a BIT**Y way for questioning her! He did it outside, at the truck...away from the patient, and the public. THAT'S HIS JOB. He did it professionally, and calmly. I feel he should have told his supervisor the truth, instead of covering up for her (like it seemed he did, I may be wrong). It's not like she slipped up and used a racial slur, or had a small fender bender. The supervisor stated there was NO DNR, period. AT ALL. People of the city...what do we do in the case of no actual legal DNR document in our presence...and no medical control to tell us "comfort care only"?????

Anyway...I'm getting worked up over a poorly made TV show. I'm takin a prilosec, and hitting the rack.

Peas

Guys, its network television. It's not going to be accurate. I like the show to be honest, and sure, I cringe sometimes when he doesn't wear gloves, but many of us love "bringing out the dead" and nicholas cage didn't wear gloves the whole movie, and he was pretty much bathing in blood. He dropped out of med school to BE a medic, not because he couldn't handle the pressure, btu because he loves it. Anyone can go to med school, it takes someone with balls to follow what they love doing regardless of intense amounts of pressure to be successful by society's standards.

And yeah. I was mad about him having his son ride along too.

The dad is SUPPOSED to be portrayed as a dick who thinks being an MD is the only way to be successful, which SHOULD show the viewer that it's not right to think that way. The show is somewhat presumptuous, but what medical show isn't? House, Grey's Anatomy, ER, you name it, they all have blatant innaccuracies, but people like them because they're exciting, and show the side of medicine most people don't see. Furthermore, do you think CSI is accurate? Law and order? Come on people...it's drama. If the show claimed to be a documentary about medics, then you could trash it for innaccuracies.

We're professionals, and the world is going to start to respect that. We always ask for publicity, and now we're getting it. The things shown aren't going to give EMS a bad name. About his uniform though, I've seen less professionally dressed medics working up here. It depends on the service.

I've seen ems show up in shorts .I also see alot of ems workers not wearing gloves.Appearance is a must in any proffesion.The show isn't perfect, it is just that ""a tv show"'. Some people get so anal about the littles things. Thats like believing all ems sleep with eachother :roll:

I've seen ems show up in shorts .I also see alot of ems workers not wearing gloves.Appearance is a must in any proffesion.The show isn't perfect, it is just that ""a tv show"'. Some people get so anal about the littles things. Thats like believing all ems sleep with eachother :roll:

What! They don't all.....

Hell....Now I need to make another appointment with my guidance counselor...

Maybe I'll be a nurse...surely they all sleep together.....

Dwayne

Dwayne! That was funny!

I've only seen one episode of the show, and yeah, it's not accurate.

But this is like beating a dead horse. How often do we cringe at the inaccuracy of ANYTHING on TV?

To risk sounding uneducated: It ain't gonna change any time soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.