Thesis

After seeing & discussing with many different students, I have found only one school (so far) that requires their students to write a thesis. I am really amazed that most do not even really know what it consists as well.

As instructors do you require your students to write one and if so do you require the usual APA format etc ? Students, are you required to write one & which standards do you have to comply to ?

R/R 911

A thesis.. Nope. But I do require a Research Paper to be completed and due after their Spring Break. They know about it the first day of class, but most of them wait until the day before to write it... :roll: go figure.

APA style is the preferred, but I don't get picky. I'm working with people who have been out of the typical "school" setting for years. I'm glad just to have the paper spell checked.

I know this isn't too much help Rid, but my paramedic program has told us they require us to complete a thesis before graduating. Since I'm only about 4 months into an 18+ month program, I really don't know what all this is going to entail yet. I'd assume we'll have to do it the APA format, a few papers I wrote in high school required it, so I'm sure it'll be the same case here.

The school that I went to did not require a thesis paper, or even a book report for that matter. However, the Anatomy class that I took part of the final was about the Reproduction System. Well I brought it home and hit it full force. My instructor really did not specify how he wanted that part of the completed. Needless to say he did have some heavy reading to do. I turned in an 11 page report on the Reproduction System. During my medic class itself, we had a guest lecturer one day. He is a doctor in an emergency room, and he lectured to us about ACS. He asked a quesion about how ASA works with ACS, and everyone was afraid to answer this guy because of how he spoke to us. He required us to write a paper about ASA and how it works in ACS, nothing long he said, and to turn it in next class. Well I did that, I also learned to talk more so I didn't have to do another paper.[/font:b1995257fc]

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, they didn't require my basic class to do any essay format written assignments. More's the pity, I say, papers make you think more in depth about your subject; far better than just coasting along with multiple choice tests. I think it should be mandatory in every class, especially since documentation is one of the most important things we do on a daily basis. If you don't know how to spell correctly and communicate in both a legible and intellegible manner, you're in trouble. Most papers should require extra reading, as well, instead of just regurgitating a rewritten text section.

Wendy

NREMT-B

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I got a four year degree in biology from a respectable private school and didn't have to write a thesis for my B.A. I haven't asked all my HS friends, but so far it's only the ones who went to Ivy League schools had had to write one for their bachelor's...

I got a four year degree in biology from a respectable private school and didn't have to write a thesis for my B.A. I haven't asked all my HS friends, but so far it's only the ones who went to Ivy League schools had had to write one for their bachelor's...

I'll either have to write one or conduct research to gain my bachelor's degree (non-EMS degree though). I think that it should be required, but honestly, how good of one are you expecting from a junior college? Most EMS programs don't require anything more then English II (if that at all).

I had to write a paper for my second semester and it had to have a thesis. My paper was 10 pages double spaced. At first we all thought it was 10 pages single spaced but it was a type-o. we had to turn ours in 2 weeks ago. I done my over fluid resuscitation. it was ok, alot in my class done it over new CPR stuff and a few on incubation's and RSI. I think it is good for students to have to write a paper, I think it helps them learn about something that time may be short on lecture time for that subject. As a matter of fact we have had to do alot of papers. some one page or something but we are always having to write on a subject my instructor think is important.

I'll either have to write one or conduct research to gain my bachelor's degree (non-EMS degree though).

Well, I definitely had to do a lot of research, then present it in front of my peers and professors as they scrutenized it...just no thesis required...we called it comps (for some majors, this meant a batter of exams, for some, like English, it was 50 page papers)