Supersized ambulance hits the road in Vegas

John

In Las Vegas, an ambulance company has announced that it would be providing a special, oversize ambulance specially equipped to handle specially equipped to handle massively overweight and morbidly obese patients who weigh 500pounds or more.

The need for the larger ambulances is obvious as the average American is much heavier. Of Nevada's 1.7 million adult residents in 2004, the Federal Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and the state Health Division estimate that 21 percent, or about 357,000, were obese. Americans are not the only gain weight, in many countries around the globe are see rising obesity rates.

040406.mp3

I hear that Peel region here in Ontario already has a rig specifically designed for this. I believe the stretcher is extra wide and center mounted. I've never actually seen it though, and I don't know how much opportunity they have had to use it. What ever happened to the idea that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

• 5 weeks later...

We have one medic unit that has the ability to treat and transport patients up to 1600 pounds. It has a bariatric cot that is much wider than normal Stryker cots. The truck itself has a hydraulic lift on the back so that the patient does not have to be lifted by the crew.

In my area there are a few bariatric trucks that are available. Most commonly, the bariatric stretcher with the 1600lb capacity while in the down position are on board, and ramps are popular for loading. There are two ramps, similar to a neonatal isolette's [for an ambulance] but a bit larger, essentially making the area needed for on and offloading a patient about 60 feet [Front of ambulance to the stretcher just off the ramps] The truck has a rear mounted winch located just under the airway seat with a wired remote that will reach out the back of the ambulance.

They're quite a sight to see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.