boyfriend/work

AJ

Basic2be, there is a perception of professionalism that we have to really work hard to keep. IF you are just talking on the phone during breaks then it's not that bad but Youv'e said you are new and your boyfriend is new.

I am sure there is a lot for you to be learning, such as protocols(they need to be like second nature to you) and you need to be able to cite them in your sleep

I'm sure you can learn the map book a little better. And also education to continue your career.

I agree with the other posters here that 6 times or more is a bit excessive. If your bf has already been talked to then his company has noticed a problem already and he's been there like what a Month or less?

It also appears from your post that your partners or co-workers consider your boyfriend to be a "turncoat"(only term I can think of right now) and that is more than likely the impetus behind their comments to you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole talking on the phone thing that frequently can be a negative in an employer or coworkers eyes. Look at the math, if you're talking 6 times at 10 minutes each, that's an hour per 16 hour shift that you're spending on the phone. Most other employers would not allow such a thing in any other line of work. I don't mind talking on the phone, but only after everything that needs to be done is done. That includes knowing about your PSA, stocking of the truck, knowledge of the gear to be used, etc. After everything else is done, you can talk on the phone provided we are not doing anything having to do with a call. As a new person there are other things that can be done with an hour. CME's if required. Geographical orientation. Learning where everything in your ambulance is. Making sure you know your protocols. And probably most of all would be making sure your partners get a chance to get to know you. I know when I'm working with someone new, I can be hesitant to let them tech some calls because I'm not comfortable with them. After all, it's my license since we run medic/basic trucks. Some time spent talking to me or asking questions goes a long way towards me having some confidence in you as a provider. Be interactive with your crew members. They'll come to respect you for it. People tend to talk in this field quite frequently. As a new person, you want to be known for your ability as a provider and as someone that can interact with the people you work with. Not as someone who does nothing other then talk on the phone.

Keep work and personal life separate. It can be a vicious circle when the two collide.

Shane

NREMT-P

Give me a break dust! If your not driving and without pt. what the hell is wrong w/ saying hi on the phone. Some of you holier than thou's on this website really make me laugh. Do you ever sit back and wonder why people consider you hard to approach, you only get one ride around on this rock and aslong as your not hurting anyone, LIVE IT UP!!!!

Your avitor describes your a student .. I hope it is not an Paramedic student. I can tell that you have appearantly not worked in a profesional setting. Guess what this world is not always to have fun..! Ever wonder why medics are considered immature, unprofessional & make crappy salaries ?

Okay, let's look at it this way.. go to work at any hospital.. "no cell phone or personal use of phones, unless on break or lunch time".. now that pretty well settles it. Holier than thou ? How about being mature.... We don't pay you to have fun, socialize or have love relationship. Employers really don't care if you miss your boyfriend /girlfriend that is not our problem... you are here to work..not socialize PERIOD.

Sure if your kid/family is dying, ill, sick.. or have been robbed that is different. But, to call every other hour to say what ? Something occurred so earth shattering.. you have to talk about it NOW ?

Using your phone at work is a privilege, not a right... on downtime, or periods of boredom sure....after everything is done.

Whenever EMS gets over the teenager phase.. then we might.. just might, get treated like professionals and get paid accordingly.. kinda hard to justify it by this type of thoughts & behavior patterns.

R/R 911

Thanks Rid, and well put.

Also... :"as long as your not hurting anyone, LIVE IT UP!!!! "

Live it up? So, if you work in an EMS system that's "You call, we haul, that's all" Technically you may not be hurting anyone, however you're also not helping out. Live it up? That sounds almost too professional for me to continue working in this field.

There's a time and place for 'Living it up', and a time for work. I always found them to be rather apparent.

Give me a break dust! If your not driving and without pt. what the hell is wrong w/ saying hi on the phone. Some of you holier than thou's on this website really make me laugh. Do you ever sit back and wonder why people consider you hard to approach, you only get one ride around on this rock and aslong as your not hurting anyone, LIVE IT UP!!!!

Hmmm...I'm sorry to sound mean...but Rid and Dust are right on the money. This is obviously a maturity issue. We are not hard to approach at all. In fact, we are ready, willing and able to help you learn, and succeed. However, those of you who don't want to hear the truth...and sometimes the truth hurts... don't ask. Most of the reason we have some of the attitudes we do are because of attitudes like yours. True...life is short...but all the more reason to make it count. Stop shortchanging your career and yourself, by blowing things off. Make the most of your profession.

And...for the record...I have used my phone at work...but I do it with discretion. It's NOT professional...and it's rare that I do it. You can ask anyone who knows me and who I talk to regularly. They will tell you I RARELY talk to them when I'm at work. In addition...I've earned the right to use my phone at times. I know the protocols, the staff/co-workers, the truck, the jump bags, I study and continue learning constantly, I clean, I cook, I organize, I teach, I communicate....oh...and I'm in charge most of the time. Just a word to the wise, and you aren't going to like it, because you haven't developed the proper maturity to appreciate a tip, as of this writing...however, someday hopefully you will....at any rate....I would watch how much of this attitude you take into this profession. It's a big profession, but, ultimately a small EMS world. Names and reputations DO travel...and fast. If you don't want to be black-balled....I'd say it's probably time for a 'tude adjustment. You can bash me for saying this...but the fact is...I'm actually doing you a friendly favor.....

P.S.....Respect is not a bad thing to learn either...especially to those that have walked many miles in this profession. Instead of talking down to us and bashing what we say...how bout learning from us. We've been there and already made all the stupid mistakes you are about to make. Just a suggestion...take it or leave it...

:wink: 8

Hmmm...I'm sorry to sound mean...but Rid and Dust are right on the money. This is obviously a maturity issue. We are not hard to approach at all. In fact, we are ready, willing and able to help you learn, and succeed. However, those of you who don't want to hear the truth...and sometimes the truth hurts... don't ask. Most of the reason we have some of the attitudes we do are because of attitudes like yours. True...life is short...but all the more reason to make it count. Stop shortchanging your career and yourself, by blowing things off. Make the most of your profession.

And...for the record...I have used my phone at work...but I do it with discretion. It's NOT professional...and it's rare that I do it. You can ask anyone who knows me and who I talk to regularly. They will tell you I RARELY talk to them when I'm at work. In addition...I've earned the right to use my phone at times. I know the protocols, the staff/co-workers, the truck, the jump bags, I study and continue learning constantly, I clean, I cook, I organize, I teach, I communicate....oh...and I'm in charge most of the time. Just a word to the wise, and you aren't going to like it, because you haven't developed the proper maturity to appreciate a tip, as of this writing...however, someday hopefully you will....at any rate....I would watch how much of this attitude you take into this profession. It's a big profession, but, ultimately a small EMS world. Names and reputations DO travel...and fast. If you don't want to be black-balled....I'd say it's probably time for a 'tude adjustment. You can bash me for saying this...but the fact is...I'm actually doing you a friendly favor.....

P.S.....Respect is not a bad thing to learn either...especially to those that have walked many miles in this profession. Instead of talking down to us and bashing what we say...how bout learning from us. We've been there and already made all the stupid mistakes you are about to make. Just a suggestion...take it or leave it...

:wink: 8

Very well said 8 =D>. However, there is something to be said for learning life's lessons on your own. It's a lot harder to forget something when it happens to you. I know that I've done a thing or two that I wont ever do again. And I sure as hell wouldn't have listened to anyone else's advice beforehand. In retrospect it probably would have saved me alot of grief if I had listened to the advice offered me. But then again if I listened to all the advice I was ever given I would probably be figure skating in the olympics or some such horrible thing. LMAO....Seriously though....Basic2be, you asked for opinions so don't get mad when you get them. I don't think anyone here is dilluded enough to think that you will blindly follow all advice you are given, but I suggest that you consider it at least. Isn't that the whole point?

WOW !! where do I begin. First off you obviously have raging hormones that you can' seem to control. nothing wrong with that as long as you contain them until the proper time & place. Secondly it would seem that you have no problem stealing time from your employer, ie six calls in sixteen hours. I'll wager that if your paycheck was short an hour every shift that you would be screaming bloody murder. Next : the first time you were on your phone I would ask you to pay attention to your job, the second time i would not be so nice in asking you to shut your phone off. THE THIRD time I had to speak to you the phone would likely be taken from you & tossed out the window, hopefully to be run over. The last time i tossed a cell out the window the newbie {A} was in shock & {B} when we got back to the base he went screaming into the office to cry to the owner who promptly fired his arse .

As far as helping someone reset their ambulance, it's a very nice gesture until something comes up missing & everyone starts looking at you because you didn't belong in their truck. If you last a while in this profession you might see that we are only telling you the truth. I only hope that you mature enough to understand what all of us are trying to tell you!!!!

It's not that i don't understand having a good time or cutting someone a little slack , BUT there is a time + place for everything and work is not the place for you to spending an hour a day talking to your significant other. Besides phone sex is highly overrated :D:D:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.