What's Happening on this one

Usually with trachea rupture, after a few minutes of ventiallations, sub-glottic emphysema would start to occur. Diaphragmatic herniation, I would find to be rare in thsi situation .. could be, but rare.

R/R 911

Unlesss, u have ECMO on board your rig , your pissin into the wind...look at the stats...call it Rid.

Done like dinner!

Unlesss, u have ECMO on board your rig , your pissin into the wind...look at the stats...call it Rid.

Done like dinner!

HA! Meh....stick a friggin fork in it...Order UP! :lol:

Well, I just found out today that my stagecraft professor has survived 2 (count em, TWO) blunt trauma cardiac arrests. One MVA, one fall. Statistical anomaly for sure!

Wendy

NREMT-B

I've seen this phenomenon twice before, both times on trauma codes. The first was when a helpless old lady met a drunk driver in a pick up truck. Same as you, intubate, CPR, abdominal distention, recheck the tube, its in, etc. I also saw it on a man who was on the wrong end of a tractor trailer's back wheel, same abdominal distention.

My honest answer is I don't know. My best guess would be a combination of a pneumothorax and diaphragmatic rupture which allows air to escape into the peritoneal cavity. Perhaps you and I can do research and have it named the "Ruffems-Asysin2leads Sign", or the "This-person-is-fucked-now-stop-playing-around-and-call-it Sign."

Why are you working a blunt trauma cardiac arrest?

I don't have a problem with giving any patient a fighting chance, but I tend to agree. If it's a traumatic arrest it should be pronounced in the field.