• No, dead is dead.. no matter if it is pediatric or adult

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key wording* obvious signs of death

Would I begin resuscitation?

My answer: No.

Would I consider it? If I determined my life or my partners life was in danger due to the parents anger or grief; or if I determined that the parent was a danger to themselves, i.e. threatening suicide.. Then I may take the kid and run, and call command in the rig/call the police.

But otherwise. No.

Obvious signs of death -NOPE NOPE NOPE unless like posted above

Your job is now to take care of the parents. Do whatever you can to comfort them. Take it from one who's been there many many times, your job is no longer the child but the parents. Call whoever they need, transport the parent or parents to the ED if needed for medical care if they require it (eg chest pain, anxiety meds).

No-one knows what it's like to lose a child until it happens to them so the parents are your key responsibility.

Would I consider it? If I determined my life or my partners life was in danger due to the parents anger or grief; or if I determined that the parent was a danger to themselves, i.e. threatening suicide.. Then I may take the kid and run, and call command in the rig/call the police.

But otherwise. No.

+1. Have to agree. No need to provide false hope.

Shane

NREMT-P

This is a big one for me- Extensive studies have shown that you will do more for the parents well being by using a direct, honest and tactful approach. Let them know that there is no chance of resuscitation. Let them know (unless you suspect otherwise) that it was likely not their fault and possibly an unavoidable medical issue (do not diagnose SIDS- use the term medical issue). In Indiana we have to take an annual refresher on SIDS, mostly a "care of parents" guide, to remain active with a fire department or other emergency service provider. I know that most peoples heart tells them to do the contrary, but do not start resuscitative measures on a child with definitive or multiple signs of morbidity- unless it is a crew safety situation. SIDS is certainly one of the worst calls we will have to deal with.

I too agree. I have seen this posted on other EMS forums and from the jest of it, the EMT's is the one with the problem of the death. Giving family false hope is cruel. Yes, the family is now your patient and your attention should be shifted to them. Contact a chaplain, counselor to assist them in this tragic time. Being careful on what, how things are asked, said is important as well.

I ask why, would someone want to attempt ? Again, the chances are the family realize it. Now, you are playing like you are resuscitating their child. You not only have caused false hope, but shown lack of creditability to our profession as well, when that physician tells them it had been way too long. This will only make you look foolish as well. Then there the statement of the EMS charge if you did attempt. Why charge the family $300 -800 ?

I would like to see the view on why someone would go ahead and attempt on an obvious death ?

R/R 911

I agree with the above posters. I would focus on the parents and family, and respect there wishes. If they wanted the child covered with a sheet, lets say, I would do that for them, and if they wanted to hold the child, I would do that for them, too. One thing I would not do is EVER put the child in a body bag or call the coroner in front of them, etc. It is EXCEPTIONALLY important to be sensitive and respectful.

But otherwise. No.

I agree with you. At this point it is time to take care of the parents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.