Embarrasing calls that you were the patient.

Scaramedic

Have you ever had to call 911 for your self in an embarrassing situation, or not so embarrassing situation.

Here's mine, it happened while I was working for EMSA as Paramedic in Tulsa. I was going on a date and was running late, so I was taking a real quick shower. I had lathered up my hair and had my eyes closed (so I wouldn't get soap in my eyes, don't want a red eye on date) and turned around to put the shampoo back in the rack. I lost my balance, slipped, fell out of the shower thru the curtain and smacked my head hard on the toilet. I almost lost consciousness but fought thru it. I knew my head hurt but I didn't' want open my eyes, I still was afraid of getting soap in my eyes and just thought I might have a goose egg above my eye. So I stood up washed the soap out of my hair and opened my eyes. It was at that time I could see the arterial spray coming from my head and hitting the wall in front of me. I have seen some copious bleeding in my time, but damn this was impressive and it was my blood. The bathroom looked like someone slaughtered a goat. Big pool of blood around the toilet and spray on the walls. For the second time that night I almost lost consciousness just seeing my own blood.

So I grab a towel out of the cabinet. put direct pressure on the wound for awhile and get out the shower on really wobbly legs. Go to the mirror and look at the damage. I had a an approx 2" gash that went from my nose across by brow and was full thickness, yes I could see my skull. And if you didn't see this one coming, for the third time that night I almost passed out. So I call 911, downplay the near LOC because I don't want a fire response and wait for the crew in front of my apartment. The crew arrived and I walked my self to the unit, refusing C-spine precautions. I am A&0x4, but just for fun the Basic tells dispatch they are 1x1 (lights & sirens, 1 patient) to the nearest trauma center for decreased LOC. I thought it was funny dispatch did not. Any way off to the hospital non emergent, walk into ER, the doc goes crazy because I am not in C-spine, they board and collar me, CT me and give me a ton of stitches in my head. Needless to say I did not make the date, but got a lot sympathy from her for my injury. :wink:

Holy CRAP! Seee.....that is my worst fear...right there....that I will have to call *gasp*...PARAMEDICS!.... LMFAO!

I am SO accident prone too...so...it's only a matter of time. We are such the worst patients...I think I'd have to be on my death bed. I DO recall an incident where I was very very sick about 2 years ago. Worst sickness I've ever had....threw up for 46 hours...and I'm NOT joking....I have no idea where it was even coming from....just ice chips, sips, the rest were just dry...well...I can remember going to the BR to throw up again....and I woke up about, what I can best figure, was about a few hours later....passed out cold... Should have called the medics right then and there...I was severely dehydrated, and had lost consciousness...but did I....no freakin way. Dumb...I know....really dumb...

:roll:

What can I say?

I'm not going to go into details, but Tequila + steps = Landing on the ground and being picked back up by those you've trained.... :oops:

One night while flirting at the ER, my partner and I got paged out for a chest pain run. We pulled out of the ER dock and made it less than a block before we got broadsided by a pickup truck. My partner got suspended for a week for running the stop sign (lights, no siren, since we were only yards from the hospital), and I was off for a week on muscle relaxers for a stiff neck.

So, a week later, my partner and I are both back on the job for our first shift in a week. Our very first run of the night was to take some guy home to his apartment from the ER. It's my partner's turn to attend (dual medics), so he's with the patient and doing the paperwork. We arrive at the address and unload the cot from the ambulance. As I am about to shut and lock the back doors, I see my partner left his clipboard on the squad bench. Thinking he simply forgot it, I step up into the ambulance to retrieve it. As I step back out, I step on to the side of a goddamn speed bump in the parking lot and completely invert my ankle. The crack was so loud that my partner says, "What the hell was that?" So, he helps me up into the ambulance and puts an icepack on my ankle, then requests a fire engine be dispatched to help him take our patient up two flights of stairs to his apartment. With the patient offloaded, my partner makes up the cot, puts me on it, and drives me to the ER in my own ambulance.

The look on an ER nurses face when a paramedic wheels his own partner -- in uniform -- in on a cot is priceless! :lol:

Consequently, nobody wanted to work with either of us for months. Me because I'm an arsehole, and him because he is trying to kill his partner.

• Like 1

Have you ever had to call 911 for your self in an embarrassing situation, or not so embarrassing situation.

Here's mine, it happened while I was working for EMSA as Paramedic in Tulsa. I was going on a date and was running late, so I was taking a real quick shower. I had lathered up my hair and had my eyes closed (so I wouldn't get soap in my eyes, don't want a red eye on date) and turned around to put the shampoo back in the rack. I lost my balance, slipped, fell out of the shower thru the curtain and smacked my head hard on the toilet. I almost lost consciousness but fought thru it. I knew my head hurt but I didn't' want open my eyes, I still was afraid of getting soap in my eyes and just thought I might have a goose egg above my eye. So I stood up washed the soap out of my hair and opened my eyes. It was at that time I could see the arterial spray coming from my head and hitting the wall in front of me. I have seen some copious bleeding in my time, but damn this was impressive and it was my blood. The bathroom looked like someone slaughtered a goat. Big pool of blood around the toilet and spray on the walls. For the second time that night I almost lost consciousness just seeing my own blood.

So I grab a towel out of the cabinet. put direct pressure on the wound for awhile and get out the shower on really wobbly legs. Go to the mirror and look at the damage. I had a an approx 2" gash that went from my nose across by brow and was full thickness, yes I could see my skull. And if you didn't see this one coming, for the third time that night I almost passed out. So I call 911, downplay the near LOC because I don't want a fire response and wait for the crew in front of my apartment. The crew arrived and I walked my self to the unit, refusing C-spine precautions. I am A&0x4, but just for fun the Basic tells dispatch they are 1x1 (lights & sirens, 1 patient) to the nearest trauma center for decreased LOC. I thought it was funny dispatch did not. Any way off to the hospital non emergent, walk into ER, the doc goes crazy because I am not in C-spine, they board and collar me, CT me and give me a ton of stitches in my head. Needless to say I did not make the date, but got a lot sympathy from her for my injury. :wink:

Is that why they cal you scar?..lmao

I had a very embarrassing situation involving paramedics, I wasn't the pt but i still thought i should humiliate myself more and tell you all about it.

I was a lifeguard at an outdoor pool, and we were having a morning inservice training before the pool opened.(BTW I was in college to become a paramedic at the time). Just outside the pool there is a bike path, and while we are in the pool area we hear a big crash. Two cyclists crashed into each other.

So my pool manager the wanker that he is (He is actually a great guy, but still a wanker) grabs all the equipment that he can, and goes running out there. Of course he makes me go with him, while someone else calls for an ambulance.

The PT had some head trauma and other relatively minor injuries and the other PT involved was uninjured and refused treatment. So we did a primary survey and some initial TX etc.. The ambulance gets there and there are two male paramedics and they ask for a report, which i give a little awkwardly due to the fact that i am still in my bathing suit in the middle of a bike path. :oops: It was quite embarrassing, and somehow I don't think the paramedics were really listening to the report. :shock:

All very funny.

Medik8-Yes you should have called an ambulance, but telling your co-workers you've puking for two days is hard to do.

AnatomyChick-Jose Cuervo is no friend of yours.

Dustdevil-I have a bad left ankle, so I can feel your pain. Just reading your story made me want to throw up.

Hammerpcp-Not a bad scar, they had a plastic surgeon stitch me up. Were you wearing a speedo? I can just imagine taking report off some guy wearing a speedo, YUCK!!!

The first and only time I was a pt in then ambo was when I was 16 ( I can't believe I even remember this, must be the scar :wink: ), Anyway, it was when I was playing hockey up in Norden Ontario. It was the first time I tore ligaments in my knee. The ambo arrived and the loaded me up, still in full equipment except for the lid. The ambulance attendants ( as this was 1976 ) were making it worse, the phrase " does this hurt? " comes to mind :roll: It was some ordeal to remove my equipment in the ED as it hurt like hell! Soon, the MD came and looked at it. During his exam, he's twisting and turning my leg!!!!! :shock:. His next statement, was, and I quote, " you're injury doesn't seem to be conducive to your complaint", WTF? get me out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I've had 2 surgeries since then on the same knee. Last time he said " see ya in 10 yrs " lol.

I have also informed my partner that if I ever need them to pick me up, keep the trauma shears to yourself. There's no way they're cutting my clothes off ( unless she's hot, right Dust?)

I have a good one for all of you. I work for an ambulance company in Sayre, PA and when I first started, we responded to a motor vehicle crash where the car was on its side (the drivers side) with a female patient conscious but with her legs pinned. I proceeded to lay on the ground on my stomach and hold head stabilization while a gazillion EMT's, Paramedics and firefighters attempted to cut the car for access. They put a tarp over both of us and I continued to talk to the patient. All of a sudden I hear the chief say "oh, S**t, and I feel something warm and wet being drained all over my hips to my ankles. Apparently the Jaws broke a line and I was covered by Hydraulic fluid. My chief decides that I need to be deconed and I have to strip totally naked behind sheets (Being held by MY CO-WORKERS!!! females no less (color my face red) and be hosed off by a 2 and a 1/2 and no less by a female firefighter how embarrassing!!!! then to make matters worse I ended up going home to shower and change and realized I didn't have my clothes or my keys. I had to crawl through my dogs dog door to get inside, thank goodness it was big enough!!! anyway I hope you all stay safe out there!

also if you would like to check out the ambulance i work for and the fire dept i volunteer with it is www.gvems.org, and www.chemungfire.com.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.