Best Paramedic Program in Ontario ?

Hey everybody,

I just got accepted into college for the paramedic program and i was just wondering if anybody knows how good these colleges are for the program. Here is a list of the schools i got into

Durham

Georgian

Centenial

if you have been there id love to know how it was

thanks Jeremie,

Well, this can be simply answered by ... where do you want to work when you're done?

If you want to work for Durham EMS, then goto Durham. If you want to work for Simcoe EMS, goto Georgian. If you want to work for Toronto EMS, goto Centennial.

Although every person will have their biases towards individual colleges for whatever reason (just look at the new private CTS program, it's having higher first-time success rates and scores on the AEMCA then most community colleges, but the graduates are still being ostracized from services), it's all up to you where you want to work. The community colleges are just that, community based. They serve the communities they are located in, and have very close ties to the EMS system in place in that region. So, should you fancy Durham, Simcoe or Toronto, goto the school in that city. If you don't care where you work when you're done, then listen to the opinions of others.

It's your choice!

peace

p.s. congrats on getting accepted, it's dog-eat-dog for PCPs right now in Ontario.

Hey everybody,

I just got accepted into college for the paramedic program and i was just wondering if anybody knows how good these colleges are for the program. Here is a list of the schools i got into

Durham

Georgian

Centenial

thanks Jeremie,

I know that Centennial has a very high reputation.... can't speak to the others or even that one beyond that.

Sorry.

Something to consider though is to possibly go to school where you plan on eventually working.

Hey everybody,

Durham

Georgian

Centenial

thanks Jeremie,

Did you not apply for or were you not accepted to Humber? It's the best.

Congratulations on getting accepted into a program!!! I attend Durham College and am just about done. I had an awesome experience there, but I'm sure most people would say that about the program they're in/attended. I love the small class size, the ability to practice anytime I want (all hours, any day), the teachers are great and are always willing to help. I know Durham and Centennial have VERY GOOD reputations. Georgian just started this year, so not sure what it's like there. I would say take into consideration of where you would like to eventually work. I see you're from Barrie, so if you want to live at home while you attend school, then go for Georgian. If you have any other questions feel free to ask,

Good Luck,

MedicMal :)

Congrats, the hard part is now over.

Those are all good schools, but seeing as Georgians paramedic program is new and has collapsed in the past, I would avoid them for now. Centennial and Durham both have good reputations.

Good luck in your future studies!

I went to Humber.

If I had to do it all over again today, with what I know now I would go to...

Durham.

Why?

I don't know anything about thier AEMCA passing rates, thier didactic or clinical education, or the programs quality. I do know that they are the ONLY CMA accredited PCP program in Ontario. That is GOLD if you want a good chance at having easy (or in some cases the only) mobility between provinces as a PCP. From what I understand the CMA accreditation process is not that easy, and Durham is basically the only school to be proactive about it in Ontario. It is the same with ACP. Durham's ACP program is CMA accredited as well. If you were to start ACP today, you would be an idiot to not go to a CMA accredited program. You are limiting yourself if you don't. But if you have ZERO intention of ever leaving Ontario than don't worry about it. But all things being equal choose CMA.

Humber and Centennial (for better or worse) are generally considered the "best" schools in Ontario. With Humber generally being a little ahead. In my opinion Humber seems to have gone down from the impressions I've had since I graduated. Humber was BIG on ACP scope in my year and we had an awesome clinical experience. This seems to be fading away from what I have heard. Centennial is good simply because they have that link with UofT and it may open more degree doors later...

But ya, in the end, go to school were you plan on working. There is an unwritten favoritism with services for students who precept with them. However with this new centralized testing, people are getting weeded out FAST, and it may not be as easy as "You precepted in Toronto? You already have a foot in the door"...