EMSA-Oklahoma

Just wondering if any of you know much about this service. How's the pay?Schedule? etc.....

I live close to Tulsa and am thinking about going full time, just wondering.

James

Please check out their web site : http://www.emsaonline.com/aboutemsa.html

I know they work 12 hours shifts, and have a required academy prior to be putting in place. The pay is comparable, not on the high level or low level. Dependent on your level of license, is dependent on how your treated. All units is staffed with at least a Paramedic. As a public utility model your true employer is Paramedic Plus in Texas, units are placed various post and rotated around dependent on calls, which means you are in the truck usually for the 12 hours.

There are a few members that are employed at EMSA on here and they can give you better insight. Their is a different attitude from the EMSA east (OKC) and Tulsa EMSA. I work with several that work both sides and hear the good and bad.

The main point I want to emphasis is that EMSA has some outstanding medics and some very poor medics as well. Many, get "brain washed" thinking EMSA way is the acceptable way and they are on the cutting edge of protocol development etc.. I worked closely with their medical director John Sacra, M.D. and he has a very good insight of emergency medicine however; it is a large corporation and sometimes this causes problems.

Good luck,

R/R 911

I have done two clinicals (two 12 hour shifts) with Tulsa EMSA and loved it. Maybe it's just because I was a new student but I thought it was great fun to hang out in an ambulance all day, parked at quik trip waiting for calls. They rotate you around every so often so you aren't stuck in one place the whole shift either. I hope to move back to Tulsa after medic school so I can work for EMSA. I lived there for a couple years while going to TU and really miss it.

As far as pay, I'm not sure how it compares to other places, but when I was there in 2003 a basic with no experience started at $18-21k/yr. I'm sure that has changed since then but I got that infor off their website so it's probably still there. I know I'm not much help..

I'm a former EMSA Paramedic. I personally loved working there. Ridryder 911 & jenniemt are right, 12 hr shifts, 4 days a week. Overtime is usually pretty easy to get. They post all over the Tulsa area, one minute your South Tulsa, the next minute your moving to a post in Sand Springs. Call volume is high, thats normal for system status, but you can have days with 1 or 2 calls. One difference I noticed when I started was that the Paramedic handles all patients, there is no its a BLS patient so the Basic rides in the back. So as a basic you are going to do all the driving. I recently third rode with an old partner for a night just for s^%$'s and giggles it was great. They have nice new units, PC tablet charting, MDT's and GPS. The Medical Director Dr Sacra is strong and hands on. He will support you when your right and let you know when your wrong. Just watch out if he takes off his glasses and rubs his eyes.

I have no idea what the pay is for Basics. They are offering $3500 sign on for Paras, I do not know if they are doing something like that for Basics.

I have worked in several systems and I was impressed with EMSA, like any system it has its good and bad points. In this case I think the good outweighs the bad.

Good Luck.

Former (I work there occassionally as a prn medic now) EMSA-Tulsa medic here too, it was my first job as a basic and then I moved up as a medic. Anyways, what everyone else has told you is true. I enjoyed my time there for the most part, but I tried to stay out of the political and managment aspect of it as much as possible. I enjoy SSM and the posting thing, keeps life interesting, but being in an ambulance for 12 hours can really drive some people crazy. If you any specific questions let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

[/font:207bb23200]

I just started the current academy here in Tulsa, OK. last Monday. 6 weeks (five to go), tough stuff. You hit the ground running. One week and your first of three cracks at passing a 50 for basics or 150 for medics question protocol and procedure exam (80% passing).

I have to recert ACLS, AMCLS, PHTLS, PEPP, etc... They have a strong emphasis on making us into "EMSAmedics".

They did an incredible amount of work to move me from California. Pay here is the same as for mid-paid CA services. That mean based on the cost of living it's pretty good. Adjusted for cost of living it is like high-paid CA private (which means AMR metro agencies in California).

I'm *very* impressed with the management, the staff, etc... I came out and rode along and talked to people before deciding to move here. The total bonus for Tulsa is $4700 ($3500 OK + $1200 Tulsa)

You get $1000 for bringing someone in.

I've worked in Alameda, CA AMR and Merced, CA Riggs and seen the protocols and equipment of a lot of services and talked to a lot of people.

- EMSA East (Tulsa) Employees almost universally love working here

- We have almost all brand new AEV Type I Rigs with Fully Loaded LP12s (ECO2, Auto BP, 12-lead)

- We carry vents and CPAP

- We have what I consider excellent protocols

I don't know anything about the Western Division (OKC) accept that Baptist has a hyperbaric chamber. (that's an academy joke) But they may be every bit as cool as East is.

Yes, I almost do feel like I drank some Kool-Aid at some point.

--- Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

[align=center:372b081465]jobop.jpg[/align:372b081465]

Just about what everyone said is up to speed. I know some of these points were already covered, but here's some points (from Tulsa, most are also covered by OKC):

[*]Just bought a new fleet of trucks. All trucks are equipped with an MDT with GPS mapping, text messaging, hospital divert status, open work (ie transfers and special events). woot.gif

[*]Decent pay with lots of opportunities for overtime.

[*]Great equipment. They're always trying new stuff to see if it helps improve pt. care.

[*]Redundant communications equipment. Each truck has an 800MHz, 400MHz (except 4 of our trucks), MDT, Pager, and Cell Phone (each truck has an assigned phone).

[*]Comprehensive protocols (rarely need to call medical control for anything).

[*]Bonus shifts (when extra staff is needed).

[*]Bonuses for "late calls" (transport within last 60-min of shift).

[*]Room for advancement (Preceptor, FTO (Field Training Officer), Alternate Supervisor, Supervisor).

[*]Materials Department which stock and clean the trucks and can run supplies to you in the field. These guys rock!

[*]SSM (System Status Management) - Trucks are posted around town so you're constantly getting a new post after most calls.

[*]Full-time is normally four 12-hour shifts. Part time is also available.

[*]Great benefits.

[*]High call volume. There are slow shifts (I've heard of some that went 12 hours with 1 call), and busy shifts (I've done 14 runs in 12 hours before).

[*]We have great working relations with PD and Fire (Tulsa). I've heard OKC gets along with PD but not-so-much fire.

[*]You run everything from transfers to cardiac arrests during a regular shift.

[*]Half off at Taco Bell, free drinks at QuikTrip.

[*]6-week training academy which will cert/re-cert you in EVOC, BLS, AMLS, ACLS, PHTLS, PEPP, EVOC, HAZMAT, WMD, and some others.

[*]Just about everyone that works there is awesome! Supervisors rock and the directors are a blast. (If any directors are reading this, can I get a raise?) :lol:

[*]Every truck has at least one paramedic. Sometimes there will be a double paramedic truck.

[*]Basics are part of an "ALS team" and function hand-in-hand with the paramedics on scene.

[*]EMSA will help out with paramedic school, as they have instructors at one of the local Tulsa Tech.

[*]Chance at getting on with Tulsa Co. SWAT as a medic (my partner is one).

[*]Special "Teams"; Bike Team, Segway Team, SWAT, etc...

[*]We just got a cool Polaris Ranger 6x6 with our red, white, and blue paint job that's on our ambulances.

lots more...

Current Job Openings

You forgot to mention ugly uniforms!! :lol:

But not one-third as ugly as what the same company makes their employees in Texas wear. :pukeright:

And EMSA "brainwashing".. They have some very good medics and some not so. The one of the major problems with EMSA is they indoctrinate that either it is the EMSA way or no way. Many of their personal can not think outside their protocols. Their protocol book is several hundred pages. Yet, their medical protocols is about normal and not really aggressive. Lots of P & P.

Long term longevity is not highly promoted, but can be achieved once you "learn the game".

I have several friends that work at both Tulsa and OKC EMS and we have several EMSA medics that have moved to our service full time but remains part-time. As well, Dr. Sacra (medical director) and I are professional colleagues and friends. Research in EMS is one of his forte.

I always recommend EMSA if you want high call volume and improve on skills. If you plan to leave in two years, that is even better. You will have large metro experience.. if you are not too burned out, sitting in a truck for 12 hours.

Be safe,

R/r 911

And EMSA "brainwashing".. They have some very good medics and some not so. The one of the major problems with EMSA is they indoctrinate that either it is the EMSA way or no way. Many of their personal can not think outside their protocols. Their protocol book is several hundred pages. Yet, their medical protocols is about normal and not really aggressive. Lots of P & P.

That seems to be a very common theme in PUM's. A greater than normal culture of supremacy, where their people are convinced that their system is the best and can do no wrong. Kinda like FDNY. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.