EMT (B, I, & P) - Vocation or Profession?

Is Emergency Medical Technician (B, I, & P) a vocation or a profession?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Vocation
    • Profession

There are areas where English is spoken, where "certified" usually refers to a psychiatrist officially declaring someone an Emotionally Disturbed Person. Food for thought?

LOL

That would be MANY people at my service.... sometimes even myself!!!

Thanks for voting.

Looking to the future of EMS, there is a desire by the heads of the EMS education at the University's hospital to offer a Bachelor of Science in Paramedicine degree: a four year course of study that would take students through EMT-B and P licensure requirements and augment that training with a liberal arts cirriculum, plus some health care business and management courses. The idea is to turn out well rounded, and well qualified, medics who are also prepared to manage services and staff.

When presented to the chancellor of the University (flagship campus of largest college in state), he stated plainly that paramedicine was a vocation and not a profession. The University would not offer a formal degree program for vocational studies. The training would continue to be offered through the University's hospital.

I had never given any much thought: vocation vs. profession until this happened. I was wondering what you all thought about it.

BTW, In this state we are licenced by the state's Department of Health and Senior Services, Division of Emergency Medical Services. It is not regulated through the Division of Professional Registration, which licenses physicians, nurses, accountants, engineers, real estate agents, cosmetologists, etc. I found that very interesting and revealing as to how the work of an EMT is regarded.

That is a shame, was he aware that some universities have EMS degree as a undergraduate degree ? I again, feel we will not shed the "blue collar, trade school image" until we are able to have it placed in collegiate setting. People in EMS are not quite aware of the long-arm & extent this has on our profession. This ranges from salary, benefits, to medical peer recognition.

Those wanting to change their title to a license level, I highly suggest contacting states that currently utilize this. See how they am-mended & work with EMS associations, lobby legislature to ensure this occurs. I wish you the best of luck.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Most people say that a profession is something that you have to go to college for for several years and have a degree and yadda yadda. Well I'm about finished with a four year undergrad degree in biology and low and behold I'm planning on staying in EMS as my profession for a few years before I move on and try to get an RN or something. To me a profession is something that requires hours or training a special skill. I've worked many jobs running cash registers and folding clothes and just about anyone can really do those but with EMS you have to be the right type of person. I'd like to consider being an EMT a profession because it's more than just something that can be taught it takes the right person to really understand it. The skills can be learned by almost anyone, the way to work with patients and deal with high stress situations has to be almost innate and then developed from there.

The real kicker, for me, is that we have a Medical School, a Nursing School, and a School of Health Professions (diagnostic ultrasound, nuclear medicine, respiratory therapist, etc.) on this campus. It's not like it'd be that difficult to incorporate the things that are already being taught into a Paramedicine cirriculum.

Anyway, the University also does not have Fire Sciences or Criminal Justice programs for the same reasons: vocations vs. professions.

The good news is that the city college is very receptive to the idea. It looks like they'll offer the BS Paramedicine degree through their Fire Sciences department in cooperation with the University's hospital. Details are still being worked out, but so far all the players (city college, the University, and the hospital) think this is a workable solution.

Good that some form of formal education is stepping up. I really do not understand university settings not accepting Para medicine as much as they do. Especially ones affiliated with medical schools & it affiliations, such as you noted & other allied health agencies.

Maybe if More EMT's would show interest, Universities would re-consider.

I really hope EMS will obtain the professional status it desperately needs, to improve pay, benefits, etc.. This would help retention and increase more to enter the professional status.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.