EMT (B, I, & P) - Vocation or Profession?

Is Emergency Medical Technician (B, I, & P) a vocation or a profession?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Vocation
    • Profession

I consider it a profession but; unfortunately, it is a vocation (no degree required) and placed in several trade schools for the TRAINING, not education. Also, still a vocation due to the technician rating, .. technician is a role is to perform prescribed procedures. That is why several EMS organizations is trying to take away the technician wording from the Paramedic. Especially, advanced level Paramedic.

That is why LPN or LVN in some states, are considered vocational nurses is because training vs. education (no it is not semantics,yes there is a difference) where an RN is considered a profession ( can obtain a doctorate level).

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

I think the whole "certification" vs. "Licensed" issue has to be fixed too. It would allow EMS to be considered more advanced and protected if NR could possibly start pushing for licesure rather than certification. Not only would this give EMT's a more professional look, but no doublty increase quality of care with training. I dont know how it works in other states, but where i'm at in NJ you can either A.) Get your associates degree in Paramedicine or B.) Get a certificate of Paramedicine if you already have a degree already rather than going through the whole spiel. So, if you can get a college degree to be Paramedic and be considered "Certified" and get a college degree to be a RN and be "Licensed", why is Paramedicine excluded from this group? I think its very badly skewed. In my opinion this should be for all levels; Basics, Intermediates, and Paramedics, though I think First Responder should stay the way it is as usually people that are first responders are more or less your fire fighters and police officers that are not interested in making this a "career path" but rather be able to sustain someone and monitor them until EMS can arrive. Just my two cents. Like i said before, and ill say it again. Protocols and education should be standardized throughout the whole country, rather than have one level of care being provided in one state, while over the river you're more likely to survive because advanced care is more readily available.

In Oklahoma all EMS levels are licensed not "certified". It has been here since the Early eighties when I was in a group of members of the EMT assoc. along with an eager Legislator developed this. I believe this has helped our profession here somewhat, by allowing us to have our own division to monitor licenses and regulations as well as professional peers know we are licensed 'not just certified". I wished we could develop our own boards and regulate & maintain, control & develop ourselves, with only EMS personal for EMT licensees.

I highly suggest states that are certified levels consider amending to licenses. These are not just semantics, but really have a long term professional standard goals.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

what would it take to get people (ie governmental people) to help make these changes?

anyone got thoughts on that... i think that would def help advance us into the more "professional" connoteation that should go w/ ems... whether your paid or vol.

Not only that I think licensed sounds alot more professional than certified. But its going to take alot of legislation to get it changed from certificates to licenses. There is alot of knowledge to be learned along with those skills, even at the basic level. Why do you think we have to take a written examination as well as a practical?

-Dixie

I also believe that it should be "licensed" not "certified" We all have to go through alot of training before the state will even consider us for testing. any other part of the medical field gets licensed so why cant we be also.

I also believe that it should be "licensed" not "certified" We all have to go through alot of training before the state will even consider us for testing. any other part of the medical field gets licensed so why cant we be also.

I absolutely AGREE!!

In PA, as an EMT, you have to do 24 hours of con-ed every 3 years to maintain your status, plus you have to go through the initial education and testing.

As a Medic, you have to do 18 hours of con-ed every year. however, the certification NEVER EXPIRES!!! If you go past your expiration date before the con-ed requirements are met, you are not allowed to practice. But as soon as you meet the requirements, you can resume your position....

Wouldn't you consider a "Permanent Certification" to be a "License"????

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.