Stupid things you've said on calls

chazmedic

HAHAHA All of these are hilarious......

I was in class today and a few classmates started talking about stupid things they've done/said on the road. This one girl said she was on the scene of a Code 5 (obviously dead) and she walked up to the pt and said "Sir, how are you today?"

:lol::lol::lol:

MedicMal

This happened during my clinical in the ER. It was Sunday afternoon and fairly warm day. The patient had been riding a four wheeler when it tipped over and he got a nasty deep laceration on his arm. It took nearly 30 stitches to close it. He kept asking if he was going to loose his arm, the Dr. and nurse both told him no. He asked again and again, and then I opened my mouth and out came " no you won't loose your arm, its Sunday and that only happens on Monday, Wednesday and Friday". Everyone burst out laughing and the Dr. and Nurse both said they would have to remember that one. :lol:

:oops:had a guy grab my arm and twist HARD. next thing out of my mouth is "let go of my arm you s*o*b*!!! the other emt was up front talking to the driver came back to help REALLY fast. when i was yelling at the patient, unbeknown to me the driver was on the radio. heard all over the county. the other part of that story is we had a cop jump our rig to help out. but he left his car at the side of the road running and locked up. good thing he was the sergent.

thought of another one... this wasn't said by me but by a pt. I was doing a rotation @ the ER for my Basic and I was holding a pt down bc the RN was in the prosses of drawing blood when he started seizing... he contiued for a bit then as he calmed down he said "I just wanna read To Kill a Mokingbird" I looked @ the RN then to the PT. Brother-in-law who was aiding me in holding the Pt. I aske the B-I-L "did he just say that he wants to read To Kill a Mokingbird?" "I think so... I mean it is a good book..." then the pt. let out another odd phrase "I need to get my car washed!"... later that nite we got him stablized and he didn't remeber saying anything and when the B-I-L told him he said "Well did you get the book? I would like to read it now"

I was in class today and a few classmates started talking about stupid things they've done/said on the road. This one girl said she was on the scene of a Code 5 (obviously dead) and she walked up to the pt and said "Sir, how are you today?"

Ha... don't laugh MedicMal, I use that line all the time. :wink:

It takes a while for each of our new students to open up and actually talk to the patient (instead of just doing vitals/patient care/etc...) and to get them into the habit of realizing there is an actual person in front of them... I make 'em a little wager.

Whomever talks to the patient first wins the little wager... the other one has to buy coffee for the person that talked to the patient first. :D

It's amazing how quick they actually start talking to patients (esp. when I'm getting java handed to me after each call) even if it is just... "Hi... my name is... " or whatever...

As soon as they start catching on though... and it's costing me java (um... what's the right thing here... oh yea... as soon as they have caught on and are being more vocal)... well... I usually get my one last java with the vsa patients. VSA or not, they are still a patient... never said they had to talk back to us....

Ha... don't laugh MedicMal, I use that line all the time. :wink:

It takes a while for each of our new students to open up and actually talk to the patient (instead of just doing vitals/patient care/etc...) and to get them into the habit of realizing there is an actual person in front of them... I make 'em a little wager.

Whomever talks to the patient first wins the little wager... the other one has to buy coffee for the person that talked to the patient first. :D

It's amazing how quick they actually start talking to patients (esp. when I'm getting java handed to me after each call) even if it is just... "Hi... my name is... " or whatever...

As soon as they start catching on though... and it's costing me java (um... what's the right thing here... oh yea... as soon as they have caught on and are being more vocal)... well... I usually get my one last java with the vsa patients. VSA or not, they are still a patient... never said they had to talk back to us....

no no, I wasn't making fun of her LOL.... She was telling us because she thought it was the dumbest thing she's done.... she was laughing with us. Sorry if it came across that way.

Talking to patients was actually the biggest milestone for me to overcome!! Just ask my preceptor LOL..... I was a mute for my first few shifts. :lol:

MedicMal

One of my shining moments was when started to transport a man that had both legs amputated. We rolled the stretcher next to his wheelchair and my bright self asked him if he needed help walking to the stretcher. Thank goodness he had a sense of humor!! My partner to this day reminds me of this every time a stupid comment is made!!

One more - Our 24 hour shift started at 6am and when my partner and I thought we would get slammed all day we would go and get pizza early ( hey any excuse for pizza). Well we went and got pizza and as we were leaving we were enjoying our pizza and cokes. Well we noticed a few cars moving over and really did not think about it until we had a woman almost hit a ditch trying to get out of our way that we realized our box of pizza had turned all the lights on the unit on. But hey the pizza was good - and I will not tell you that we did it again the next week!!

Well we noticed a few cars moving over and really did not think about it until we had a woman almost hit a ditch trying to get out of our way that we realized our box of pizza had turned all the lights on the unit on.

Damn..........Does that count? I have done that at least half a dozen times. It's funny how people actually seem to notice the emerge lights when it isn't an emergency. You get much higher pull-over compliance when you don't need to be somewhere.

Does it count if your partner is the one that says the most incredibly stupid thing you've ever heard?

On a call to the home of a hospice pt. (terminal ca), we arrived to find a woman in her mid to late 40's lying in bed. She's obviously in extreme pain. (otherwise, why would we be there to transport for pain management?)

As we're getting her ready to move the pt from her bed to the stretcher, my partner climbs on the bed behind her, looks down at her and says: "So tell me honey, how's it feel to have a strange man in your bed?"

If looks could kill......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.