Checking airway- Allergic reaction

SpongeDude

OK- I know this is basic and simple but just want some feedback.

We were dispatched for a "possible" allergic reaction to food.... we get on scene and pt stated her throat flet like it was closing.... Upon examination we found her ABC's to be fine- lungs clear, Alert & oriented x3 etc etc- seems to be in fine shape-

What is the best way to assess the airway upon this complaint? Should you visually look?- outside of ling sounds- how about putting a scope right on the midline throat area?? Just looking for quick ways to assess and decide how serious....In this case- she was totally fine and it appeared more anxiety related- but I was looking for some other ways to go about this type of assessment

Not going to get into a pee pee contest with you here ace, Because I know you will dedicate days to this silly issue.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Could you please re post your quotes and highlight the parts that describe how to visually assess and auscultate the neck and throat as it relates to determining the severity of the effects of an allergic reaction on these areas?

I saw several bold areas that addressed a diagnosis and even some general symptoms but still did not answer his questions.

If you can find all this crap in your searches, how can you not find his questions in his post???

I didn't see it. (It may have been there, but if so, at a level beyond my understanding) And if I was SpongeDude I would not have read dozens of posts to answer a question unlikely to be asked in this specific manner.

Do a search for SpungeDude's posts, he doesn't ask a lot of redundant question....he doesn't need to be spanked and sent on a wild goose chase...

I truly do believe you are a smart person, I hope someday to be able to talk EMS at your level....why do you need to use your intellect to be a bully....I don't get it...

Dwayne

"Dwayne,"

I will try to answer your questions as well as the questions of the original poster again; in a way which will hopefully provide more clarity for you. Class is in session. Let's begin, shall we?

A.)

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Could you please re post your quotes and highlight the parts that describe how to visually assess and auscultate the neck and throat as it relates to determining the severity of the effects of an allergic reaction on these areas? I saw several bold areas that addressed a diagnosis and even some general symptoms but still did not answer his questions.

Again, here were the questions form the original poster, and an explanation, and clarification as "Dwayne" asked for.

1.)

OK- I know this is basic and simple but just want some feedback.

We were dispatched for a "possible" allergic reaction to food....

I think we can all agree that the "Chief Complaint at this time is '? Allergic Reaction'. But, lets look a bit deeper. The poster then says..

we get on scene and pt stated her throat flet like it was closing.... Upon examination we found her ABC's to be fine- lungs clear' date=' Alert & oriented x3 etc etc- seems to be in fine shape-In this case- she was totally fine and it appeared more anxiety related- but I was looking for some other ways to go about this type of assessment[/quote']

This statement, and how I 'read it' led me to believe that there may be a more than fair chance that this poster may not have a 'full' understanding of Anaphalyxsis and the physiology and pathophysiology behind this physiologic response. Wait...What's that you say, "Dwayne"??

Ace, point taken. I assume from the way the question was written that he is a Basic. Perhaps I am mistaken. And as such was looking for an answer such as the one from kevkei:

Seldomly have I seen a systemic response to an ingested allergen. Usually it's angioedema.

Assess the tongue, uvula and their voice. Do they sound hoarse or muffled? Can they swallow, breathe through their mouth and nose? Can they stick their tongue out?

Decreased lung sounds is usually a late and ominous sign. If they complain of a sensation of their throat closing and you see evidence of such, believe them.

It seemed to go directly to what I believed to be his question.

I do know additional education is important to you and many of the other anchors on this board, so perhaps your approach was better suited to his growth in EMS, whether he wants it or not (I'm not implying that he doesn't).

I don't know enough about many things to know if he will learn from your posts or just be turned off of posting in the future?

Either way, I learned from the info...thanks

Dwayne

Ace, point taken. I assume from the way the question was written that he is a Basic. Perhaps I am mistaken. And as such was looking for an answer such as the one from kevkei:

It seemed to go directly to what I believed to be his question.

I do know additional education is important to you and many of the other anchors on this board, so perhaps your approach was better suited to his growth in EMS, whether he wants it or not (I'm not implying that he doesn't).

I don't know enough about many things to know if he will learn from your posts or just be turned off of posting in the future?

Either way, I learned from the info...thanks

Dwayne

"Dwayne,"

Like I said before, I think your a smart guy and your posts here are usually filled with common sense and reasonable questions and answers. I guess I just approached his question a bit differently, and because "Kevkei," had already posted that and because this poster had mentioned using a laryngoscope blade to 'check' the airway. I made a few assumptions. Good, bad or indifferent. Having gone back and re-read this persons post makes me wonder why someone doing ALS skills, is not acting like they recieved an ALS education which was adequate and or comprehensive enough to have covered this very basic material.

As you mentioned, and I am sure most know here that I am a big advocate of education, common sense, and self-advancement. This field is a very self-motivated one. Ultimately you as an individual dictate what 'skill-education' level of clinician you will be. Admittedly as well, I have little tolerance for a lack of common sense, and or stupidity, and as such constantly re-posting information seemed to be a waste of time for all involved.

In my own experience, my BLS class was only slightly above what was minimally required. When I finished my program I was rapidly introduced to the reality that my class did little to prepare me for the 'realities' of this job, or the more extensive knowledge base it requires to be even a remotely adequate, competent clinician. I've worked hard to correct this defeciency, and searched long and hard for an extensive, thorough, progressive medic program and that has helped immensely. As always, YMMV. I am not against people asking questions, it is just that I perfer that they do so in an intelligent manner, and after having at least expended some effort to asceratin the info themselves first. Then if they have other questions or need help, than fine ask away.

In this career, we should all pass on our knowledge and mistakes and experiences to one another so that hopefully those among us who 'want to learn,' and be good at this will be able to not repeat our mistakes. When I was new I was lucky enough to have a core group of experienced providers do this for me. I have tried to do the same for others in my practice. Food for thought.

In closing since "Sponge whatchyamacallit," has yet to respond to this thread I'd say the effort by the group to help him was more than likely wasted effort at best... I hope perhaps other like you may be able to keep an open mind and continue to learn from the great resource available to you all here.

Out Here,

ACE844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.