Trauma Docs with lights and sirens?? What do you think?

this constitutional right was put there to allow the militia to remain and also enshrine the militia as the last line of defence against an overzealous government.

Among other things. It was also to allow people to eat, since in the 18th century we still had to hunt our own food.

Regardless, you just contradicted your own lame theory. The National Guard and Reserves ARE the government. Consequently, they do not and cannot stand defence against themselves.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Among other things. It was also to allow people to eat, since in the 18th century we still had to hunt our own food.

quite how a conceal carry 9mm helps with that i don't know

plenty of Birtish citizens with shotgun and/ or firearms licences for hunting weapons used for that purpose including some very very nice rifles in full sized calibres.

I see very little need for anyone to carry a pistol other than to 'up the ante' with criminals

I see very little need for anyone to carry a pistol other than to 'up the ante' with criminals

Wonderful argument. Stick to that and you might make some sense. But your attempt at a historical context falls far short.

Hey Zippy, On behalf of all the "Bubba" volunteer firefighters(of which I am one), I resent that remark. Much of the US is covered by volunteer fire AND EMS. We are authorized too use emergency equipment beacause we respond from home or work most of the time. Rural areas cannot afford the luxury of a paid, full time staff. These "Bubbas" take time from work, family, and other events to provide a needed service to their community because they want to, not for the money or glory. They may have a "beat up truck" because that's all they can afford. I would put some of their driving skills against some high dollar physician any time.We are not all rich over here.

Granted we have a few yahoos, but we take care of them in house. Try disciplining a doctor. They have such a network that it is sometimes impossible to bring one up on any kind of complaint, let alone their driving.

I'll second that -- and this "EMS whacker" would just like to point out one thing ---

If we don't answer the call...who will?

If we don't answer the call...who will?

Simple. The paid people they would hire to replace you. Don't kid yourself. You are the ONLY reason they haven't hired them already. Thanks for screwing your community out of quality, full-time care. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Truly, volunteers are still going to be needed. Hopefully someday the majority of the volunteers will be supplemental personnel (that are trained to full professional standards). The fact is that ever increasing criteria and training requirements are making volunteer fire and EMS less practical. We are currently pushing for full time EMS and part time engine coverage for one of our departments by pushing for a merger. This will give the funds for at least 1 full time ALS ambulance, a day coverage BLS ambulance and possibly a day coverage engine. Hopefully that will lead to a territory in the near future to hire full time career people to staff multiple apparatus. If, as a volunteer, I did not have intentions of supporting this I would be contradicting my stated objective for volunteering in the first place. And no, I am not job chasing as I will continue to volunteer at this department and work for another.

That's right....we are the only reason. We there 24/7/365....we do provide quality care, and yes, I am proud of myself -- maybe vollies in your area are "bad" providers, but around here we take great pride in what we do, and furthermore, we provide care at or above that provided by paid EMS services, and we work closely with our local police department ambulances.

Simple. The paid people they would hire to replace you. Don't kid yourself. You are the ONLY reason they haven't hired them already. Thanks for screwing your community out of quality, full-time care. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Thanks for screwing your community out of quality, full-time care. I hope you're proud of yourself.

"Screwing" is kind of harsh don't you think? Depriving- mabye, but it is out of ignorance that departments/ services dont push for paid staffing in the more rural areas.

...maybe vollies in your area are "bad" providers, but around here we take great pride in what we do

You're dodging the point. Nobody said anything about you being a bad provider. The point is simple if you read it. The reason your community doesn't have full-time professional medical personnel standing by in an ambulance 24/7 to respond to emergencies is because people like you will provide half that service for free. It is the reason people in your community die. And it is the reason that there are no actual EMS jobs for you or any other EMT or medic in your community. So yes, you are screwing your community.

However, yes, I will agree with 422 that it is mostly out of ignorance. And a lot of selfishness. Certainly not out of any altruistic sense of civic pride. Otherwise, all your community's trash would be collected by volunteers too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.