MAST Pants....

ambogrl

Do you use MAST pants in your protocols?  

94 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, whenever needed.
    • Sometimes, they are in the rig but we don't use them that much.
    • Not really, we have them and can use them but rarely do.
    • Never, we are not even allowed to carry as equipment.

we have the adult MAST on our trucks, but they are never used

I don't think that NYS even tests on them anymore on the practical exams

I've had my card since 1991 and have NEVER ( never had to ) used them except in My EMT original course.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We carry them in Tulsa, OK, but I've never seen them used on a patient. They sit under the bench seat, I wonder if they would even inflate. Our protocols allow them for pelvic/lower limb instability, and for shock with extended transport time, but our times almost never exceed 15 minutes. The last time I even saw them laid out was in EMT class when we were being shown how to use them (and at the same time being told we never would).

In the district that I volunteer for, we took them off the trucks many years ago. But to my surprise, the district that I'm working in (very, very rural VT) not only has them on their trucks, but has them in many of their protocols... Not even sure if I would actually take the time to put them on a pt. due to the transport times we would be facing, and lack of training I have on them...

• 2 months later...

I once found a set in an SAR kit when I was an air force medic. I put them rite back were I found them. Apart from that I have only seen them in books. Dont think they are used in the UK.

Been doing this for nine years, never seen them used. Only time I've ever seen them out was for class (and assisting with other EMT classes.

We are getting a new ambulance soon and have asked for a roof rack :P so we can put MAST and other useless equipment we are required to carry out of our way and leave space for the things we use.

In my NJEMT-B class we were taught how and when to use them (systolic <90, pulse >120, resps >30, no abnormal lung sounds, no chest trauma; will have to double check my numbers when i get home :oops: ) but none of the BLS rigs I've seen carry them, my squad is just across the river from Robert Wood Johnson Level I Trauma Ctr, as well as St. Peter's University Hospital, and JFK Medical Ctr all close by, so by the time we have the pants properly inflated and package the pt he could have walked to the ER. Other reasons for discontinuing the MAST-PASG included too long of a deflation time in the ER, inhibiting necessary treatment.

Prob make good ski pants for your EMS backboard/bobsled team :P 8)

Yippie kaieie motherf*cker!

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.