Getting fit

Are you as fit as you think?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I am a ultramarathoner
    • Im not obese but I am not in shape either
    • No, I am a fat couch potato

I have started trying to whack myself back into shape. Today I went out running (Ha!) thought I would make the half-mile jog. I dont think I made 300 meters. although I did get in a few crunches and other leg work such as lunges and latters. When I arrived back at my vehicle at the park the H.S. girls and my former basketball coach was there, working out. And I thought to myself, Gawd I am so out of shape! It was embarrassing for me to be seen lobbing my way up the hill by all these youngsters. I hung my head in shame. But after working out for a total of 90 mins I felt better physically and mentally. I dont feel quite so sluggish. I ended up doing this:

ran 3/4 mile, walked the rest of the way

30 lunges

30 knee-highs

30 butt kickers

30 scooters

30 high skips

30 fast skips

50 calf raises on both legs

35 calf raises on R leg

35 calf raises on L leg

200 crunches

3 sets of 15 what a call half sit-up w/ twist

30 3-cut steps

and last but not least

5 push ups!

After all of this hoobahoo my legs feel like jello gelatin. Oh and when I tried doing some stair steppers, I nearly snapped my ankle in half. That ended my workout.

All of this in a sentence:

Im not as healthy or fit as I thought I was.

If anyone here wants to join me in my crazy quest for fitness I'd be happy to start a small group of people to keep us on track and enourage one another.

-Dixie

I TRY MY HARDEST BUT MY SCHEDULE BITES, I HAVE BEEN WORKING 5 AND 6 12'S IN A ROW FOR MONTHS FOR A PRIVATE AMBULANCE COMPANY BECAUSE OF STAFF SHORTAGES. I AM A VOLUNTEER FIREMAN AS WELL AND I EXERCISE WHEN I AM THEIR. I REALLY WISH MY DAILY LIFE ALLOWED FOR MORE EXERCISE AND I AM REALLY OUT OF SHAPE AND OVERWEIGHT.

ON AVERAGE WHEN I AM AT THE STATION I WALK 1-2 MILES AND DO LEG LIFTS. MY DIET SUCKS BECAUSE I AM ALWAYS EATING ON THE RUN.

Dixie I'm not as healthy or fit as I thought I was.

I hear you there,, It sometimes is sooo hard to get fit,, some say once you get there it gets easier, Huh Like to see that someday,,,,

I have trouble with just running,,, so I took up Cardio Kickboxing,, it is alot of fun,,, and then body blasting I least attend them 3-4 days a week with weight lifting as well,, I sometimes have little time and feel like poop if I do not gooo.. So far I have lost 27lb since the 1st of the year, I have more to go,, It does help when you have someone to talk to about it and even go with you.... If you need a boost as well as I do alot of the times,,, I will do my best to help you out.... email me shepherds@warpdriveonline.com

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it is official that I am out of shape. I had the physical fit test for Rural Metro ambulance. Turns out I couldn't lift enought (big surprise there, most of the women who tested are having to redo the lifting portion).

So I guess we all know what I will be working on for a little while now

I got turned down for a job too because I was so unfit. One of the problems I face is that my life is so sedentary. When I'm not out in the car I'm sitting waiting for a call watching TV (ain't life hard!) Anyway I joined a gym a couple of months ago and while I haven't being going as often as I wanted I can feel the difference in my fitness already.

Running, weightlifting, boxing...feed the competitive urges.

I flipped my car on a snowy highway a year and a half ago...broke ribs, tore my pec, etc. Gained a lot of weight in the recovery time. Looked at myself on day last April and saw that I was carrying 225lbs on a 5'6" frame.

I began running. I began smoking again (unrelated to my physical fitness goals, it just coincided). I got back into the gym. Started signing up for 5k, 10k, half-marathons, and marathons...anything to keep me running. Stopped paying attention to what I was eating...tried to keep busy.

I've dropped 60lbs...back to my high school weight. Blood Pressure is back to normal. Pulse is a nice resting 55. I'm feeling so much better. Now if I could just quit smoking again!

Got a marathon on June 12th. I'm going to try and sprinkle some 10k's throughout the summer...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.