Am I a Fireman yet?

It really doesn't matter anyway. We are to serve the public and assist those who request it. Ideally, we are all on the same team. We're all here to help. I work on both sides of the barrier because I like both EMS and Fire. We must remember that it's not about our personal satisfaction, it's about the patient. Rise above and serve.

EMS is the youngest of the public safety services. So it's still not as recognized as police and fire. Each community makes the decision how we accomplish the goal.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMS is the youngest of the public safety services.

It isn't a public safety service. It is a medical service. It's a transportation service. But it is not a public safety service.

[it isn't a public safety service. It is a medical service. It's a transportation service. But it is not a public safety service.]

The city bus line is a transportation service. The taxi is a part of the transportation service. A dentist office is a medical service. This is why we are viewed as a taxi ride. The idea that we are not a part of the public safety network is why EMS is always left out. It has to present itself as a vital component of the public safety and trust. If you don't pull yourself up to the big table, you get lumped in at the kiddie table with the cable t.v. franchise, bus line, trash collection. This is what has happened where I work.

Our subsidy (for the 911 ALS provider) comes from the same fund as the Meals on Wheels and the Literacy Program. We compete with 14 other non profits for a piece of the pie. Police and Fire funding comes from the General Fund, which is supplied with sales tax and property tax. Police and Fire split $12,000,000. EMS receives $150,000 if we can justify it (the Boys and Girls club gets more than we do). The total non profit funding is whatever is left over at the end of the budget process.

We are now getting back to the big table by going PUM. We forced the discussion back to the front burner as presenting this issue as a public safety issue. And yes, a councilman asked "why can't they (the patients) just call a cab?"

Well, we're left out of the public safety network because we're not public safety. Dust is right. We are a medical service. We provide medical care. We provide that care while transporting to a medical care facility. Our job as EMS providers is different from public safety organizations (e.g. fire, police) in that we don't have any kind of prevention function. Fire departments do inspections as a part of code enforcement which leads to a greater public safety in the prevention of fire. Police are engaged in active patrolling and educational programs in order to keep and maintain a safe and crime free community.

EMS is a reactionary force. We don't have any role in the prevention of injury or illness. We don't have any role in the prevention of crime. We don't do anything but react to a specific individual (or group of individuals) needs. We don't affect any change on the safety of the public at all.

Therein lies our problem. Since we're not public safety those who control the purse strings aren't quite sure what to make of us. I will agree that we need to present ourselves better in terms of requesting/demanding funding. However, that gets into another discussion.

Now, if you want to argue that since you work for a fire department as both a FF and PM then you're different you can take that route. But you're going to have to provide more evidence than your last post to support your position.

-be safe.

[it isn't a public safety service. It is a medical service. It's a transportation service. But it is not a public safety service.]

The city bus line is a transportation service. The taxi is a part of the transportation service. A dentist office is a medical service. This is why we are viewed as a taxi ride. The idea that we are not a part of the public safety network is why EMS is always left out. It has to present itself as a vital component of the public safety and trust. If you don't pull yourself up to the big table, you get lumped in at the kiddie table with the cable t.v. franchise, bus line, trash collection. This is what has happened where I work.

Our subsidy (for the 911 ALS provider) comes from the same fund as the Meals on Wheels and the Literacy Program. We compete with 14 other non profits for a piece of the pie. Police and Fire funding comes from the General Fund, which is supplied with sales tax and property tax. Police and Fire split $12,000,000. EMS receives $150,000 if we can justify it (the Boys and Girls club gets more than we do). The total non profit funding is whatever is left over at the end of the budget process.

We are now getting back to the big table by going PUM. We forced the discussion back to the front burner as presenting this issue as a public safety issue. And yes, a councilman asked "why can't they (the patients) just call a cab?"

There in lies the problem..............

in the states the medical system is so f*ucked up that it is easier to call the cab.........

even though here we have a separate ems system to that of the police and fire brigade we are attached the the department of health and are a separate health division within it.

granted that we do not get the monies that we would like (no matter what dept you are it is never enough)

we are funded by the govt by the taxes that the public pay, and then charge the fees for the transports.

That is why we are better being ems alone and not being firefighters (who would any way.....lol)

they jobs are too different and there is a vast level of knowlege that should be invested in when you are in ems that should not be sidetracked by the fire stuff........(cold wet stuff on the hot red stuff)

stay safe

We may not deal with things that cops and firefighters do, but I'd still say classifying EMS as purely a medical profession would be grossly inaccurate and is detrimental to EMS as a whole. Let's say you have a municipal based EMS service, and they are up for consideration of benefits from the municipality. If they were classified as health care providers, they might be up for the same benefits as the doctors and nurses at the local county hospital. If you wanted something like Line of Duty Injury coverage, they'd laugh you off because doctors and nurses do not get kicked, punched, stabbed, shot, or thrown down a flight of stairs very often in their line of work. Stuff like that has been known to happen to EMS providers. I would rather EMS be geared more towards medical work, but we also need to recognize the public safety component of it. At least from where I'm sitting as a 911 thug, that's the way I see it.

I like that Asysin2leads....well explained....

I've always considered myself in the Medical field first and foremost (from our medical education, to being funded and controlled by our Ministry of Health... the term Emergency Medical Services says it all)... yet cannot even fathom that we would not be in the Public Safety classification as well. We work side by side with our Physicians, Nurses, Police, Fire Fighters and First Responders... I'd say we cover several aspects rolled into one system.

Firefighters have a reason to be cocky.....FF's and medics save lives, but only one risk their lives. Those of you that posted negative comments disgust me.

If you knew how utterly scary it is to going into a burning building even when you're completely trained then you would have alot more respect for what firefighters do. Its not like the movies....its dark as night...no visibility....and very hot even with all the gear. Within minutes your bottle even gets heated up enough that the air your breathing is hot. You have to crawl(unless you want to melt your helmet) and find where you are in a building and or house you've never been in just by your sense of touch....with tools in one hand, pulling hose in with the other hand, while training to maintain touch and/or verbal contact with the rest of your crew. All the while you've got very restricing gear that weighs around 50lbs.

I respect medics very much and look forward to starting medic school in august but to compare the two trades......NO FUCKING WAY!!!

oh btw if any of the local fire members see this and your house has a problem, you brought this on yourself. didnt think of that did you?!?!?!?!?!