Who does the Rescue work where you are

Who Runs the Squad Truck where you are  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• Fire Department
    • Rescue Squad
    • Other

We're one of the few cities left in my area that have separate fire and rescue departments. I'll run hoses when the chief needs help, but once the fire department all get to the scene, I just stand in the back until someone hollers at me. I'm good at holding the flashlight in the dark! :wink:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our FDs do all the rescue work. We have one specialized rescue company in the county, but they have a small area. All fire companies do rescue/extrication, or invite their next due.

Fire does fire and rescue/extrication.

EMS does EMS, although Fire does first response...sometimes.

hi strippel, nice to see you around here. who has teh specialized rescue??? and yeah, some of the FD do first response....when they make it out, its nice if you have a longer response time though

We all do here. I have seen times when we all crawled off into the lake to rescue a patient who had ran their car off a bridge. Firemen, EMT's, and Law Enforcement were all side by side pulling the patient out of the partially submerged car, and we worked well as a team.

Our "Rescue One" has all the extrication equipment for MVC's. But we EMS personnel also trained in use of the tools, from pneumatic extrication to use of regular hand tools such as crowbars and saws to get patients out. It is really great to be able to help in this fashion, especially when you can't get in to your patient who is squashed like a lemon in an aluminum can and is still alive and talking to you.

• 2 weeks later...

My full-time spot, the local FD.

My part-time spot, Blue Valley Rescue Squad (which I am a part of). One of the best in the world in extrication.

When I work in NYC, FDNY Rescue and NYPD ESU duke it out, never listening to EMS suggestions. (At least in my neck of the boroughs) Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

down here in Australia fire does the rescues in cities and towns, either proper FF's or volunteers, but in the country it is done by the State Emergency Service (SES) who are all volunteers. SES are also responsible for searching for missing people in the wilderness and helping after serious storms, like helping to remove trees and stop roofs from leaking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.