Choosing an employer

They must have got a fleet discount :lol: Wait, they're not wankermobiles, are they?

No, they aren't. We have one paramedic in another station that has a light package. He spent a few hours putting it all on, I spent 20 minutes taking it all off. :lol:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a wanker if he has a "light package"

I suspect he has the lights to compensate for his inadequate "package." :lol:

Can I say package here?

In rural America Volly squads are a godsend in some cases. Here every city in the county has its own paid VFD (they get paid so much per call whether they are there 5 minutes or 5 hours and they get a christmas check in december). Our citys VFD reqs all FF to be EMT trained as well and they drill 2x month. If they miss 3 drills they are booted off the squad and cannot reapply for one year. Our city isnt a big city so we dont need the fancy shmancy equipment, but the equipment they do have is VERY adequate. They have a Rescue Ambulance, 3 pumper/hose trucks, and 2 brush trucks, jaws of life, water certified personnel, high angle certified rescue, and confined space certified personnel. I think they have very good training with the equipment needed to get the job done.

In rural America Volly squads are a godsend in some cases.

Only if you erroneously assume, against all logic and historical context, that without them you would have no protection at all.

Volunteers are not what you have instead of nothing. Volunteers are what you have instead of professionals.

Volunteers are also a good part of the reason why people like you find it nearly impossible to find a job.

You call that a Godsend?

Farnorthmedic: That is a really good suggestion about taking extra courses etc. I guess it really does show initiative. I wasnt aware that base hospitals have courses like you mentioned for random people to take. Definately worth looking into- thanks!

Farnorthmedic: That is a really good suggestion about taking extra courses etc. I guess it really does show initiative. I wasnt aware that base hospitals have courses like you mentioned for random people to take. Definately worth looking into- thanks!

Hmmm...Courses like ACLS, PALS, and NRP aren't going to be free SooC just because you are interested in them. ACLS is like $250 and PALS/NRP about $150 each.

To be honest with the new centralized testing for GTA services and what not, I don't really see courses like the above being beneficial in a resume "put you over the top" type thing. Honestly, I don't think resumes are worth much when applying as a PCP in Ontario. They just care about their written and practical testing and interviews. It's so competitive, 95% will be weeded out just in that. They may briefly skim your resume and note say already having a university undergrad or something, but the above courses? I would be amazed it they were "worth" anything for a job.

Even for the education themselves, they are more of a "having the piece of paper" than anything else. The better part of ACLS, PALS, and NRP is taught at the PCP level and certainly the majority at the ACP level. Actually doing the "real" course is simply for the card, not for any greater knowledge per say. This is why the above "certs" are not requirements to my knowledge even for a job as an ACP in Ontario.

I agree to a point with you Vs-Eh. As someone who is currently going through the current centralized testing, I can tell you and anyone else that this process is probably the dumbest recruiting tool the services could use.

Yes, it may simplify the candidates lives by only having to schedule one day for the written test,and one day for the practical test, as opposed to several different days for different services, but the way I'm looking at it is, if you did horribly on the written component or practical testing for whatever reason, there goes seven jobs. Sorry, better luck next year and have fun working in the north for the meantime.

And, I would disagree with you about acls and pals, simply because, when it comes down to it, centralized testing is all about acquiring points to move on into the next round. So, for those of us who are now in the third phase (coming up to interviews), it certainly helps to have a padded resume. I for one am excstatic that I already have my AEMCA, RRO, ACLS, PALS and all those other pieces of paper. Especially with the Ontario colleges on strike, services are going to be looking for employable persons regardless of where they went to school :wink:

Zach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.