New EMT-in-training

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the EMS Field. I have been volunteering for about 7 months and I started my EMT-B Class in January. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for me or any advice that could possibly help me. So far, it seems great and its great being able to help people.

I also had another question about NYS laws. If you arrive on scene and you had a patient who has Nitro, If they already had 2 puffs, you have to call Med control if you thought it would be beneficial to give another one, Correct?

Also, on our regular cars, are we exempt from the laws of not being able to tint the backwindows of our Personal Cars if we have EMT License Plates? Just wondering, because I carry a jumpbag and I really do not want people seeing it in the back of my car, I can't fit it in the trunk, I got too much stuff in there...

Thanks!!!!

Kyle

ps... I will be at the Baltimore Convention, anyone know how its going to be, I've never been to this one before.

Semantics i suppose ... up here we 'squirt' nitro.

Not sure of the laws, as here we give nitroglycerin under standing order (for ischemic chest pain and acute pulmonary edema) so long as you have done a complete assessment including a full set of vitals.

Zach

Sorry about that everyone...

My mistake I meant to say "Assist with giving a Nitro". I know that in my Agency we have different standing orders that we can go by.

Don't ask me where I got the puffing from, I went of to talk about inhalers and just mixed everything up. Sorrry!

I will let the others addrsss your questions for now, however the one piece of advice I will give you is NEVER, I repeat NEVER use your email address as your screen name. You open the door for spammers, attackers and the llike by displaying that information. You need to change your name immediately. If you can not do so by yourself, email admin and have him do it for you.

DUDE YOU CAN USE THE SAME COMPUTER YOU USED TO ASK THIS QUESTION. PULL YOUR PROTOCOLS FOR OUR STATE @NYSDOH WEBSITE. AS FAR AS WORRIED ABOUT CARRYING A JUMP BAG...DON'T DO IT. YOU ONLY INVITE YOURSELF TO MORE TROUBLE. IF YOUR ARE NOT RESPONDING WITH IN THE COMMUNITY YOU ARE CLEARED IN YOU SHOULD NOT BE PRACTICING. EVEN AS A VOLUNTEER, GO TO THE BASE AND GET THE FREAKIN' RIG. I GET SO TIRED OF SHOWING UP ON SCENE AND THERE IS MORE VOLLY DINGER'S THAN THE LAW WILL ALLOW ME TO HIT WITH A STICK, AND YET NOBODY HAS BROUGHT THE FREAKIN' RIG!! THAT'S JUST MY BELIEVE YOU DON'T HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO IT. I DO HAVE A JUMP BAG THAT I TAKE TO CERTAIN EVENTS JUST IN CASE. AND I ALWAYS HOPE TO FREAKIN' GOD I DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. FYI - IF YOU DO STOP AND HELP- YOU CAN ONLY PRACTICE AT A BLS LEVEL IF YOU ARE OFF DUTY OR NOT IN YOUR PARTICULAR CLEARING AGENCIES DISTRICT. AS A BLS PROV. YOU CAN ONLY ASSIST A COAx3 PERSON WITH Mx...REMEMBER YOUR 4R'S- RIGHT PATIENT,MEDICATION,DOSE & ROUTE OF ADMIN.

Ugh ... please, no caps. Very hard on the eyes.

Secondly, just because I feel like being a minor correction is warranted; it's commonly called the FIVE rights of medication administration, not four, and in many cases, six or seven.

-Right Patient

-Right Medication

-Right Time

-Right Dose

-Right Route

-Right Documentation

-Right to Know (yes, the patient can refuse if s/he wishes)

Zach

My advice to you entering the field is to concentrate on your skills not what you look like.....I've known a few that where more concerned about themselves then patient care (at first), especially in front of the news cameras. As time went on this decreased and they turned out to good Medics. The main thing here is patient care.....if u worry too much about what u look like u open yourself to errors in judgment and potentially cause the patient(s) more harm that good.

hope this helps

keep safe