NREMT-B CEU Topics

I am an NREMT-B and need to know exactly what will count toward the 48 hour CEU requirements. Does SCBA training count? How about Confined space entry training? I have been to the NREMT web site but they are somewhat vague about what topics qualify for CEUs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nuke, in my experience I have found that fire based courses typically will NOT work. The NREMT Recommended topics isn't really that difficult to understand.... For example, when you take a CE class on Childbirth Emergencies, all you really need to do is find where that was covered in your original textbook, and voila, you can count it for "Medical".... You "might" get lucky and get Confined Space Rescue to count under Special Ops... or the "Elective" section.

By the way, if you are taking College level classes, if they correlate to anything EMS (ex. Anatomy & Physiology, Abnormal Psychology, etc) you can get hour for hour credit.... in fact one of my former students was told that they could take hours for every hour that they sat in the classroom..... I'd double check that information, but I do know that you can get credit for College courses.

Also as a reminder.. if you add a lot of questionable "fluff" it flags you for an audit... I've had a couple of friends get audited, due to questionable hours.. so, they don't just get the forms and never look at them, they are all reviewed...

By the way, if you are taking College level classes, if they correlate to anything EMS (ex. Anatomy & Physiology, Abnormal Psychology, etc) you can get hour for hour credit.... in fact one of my former students was told that they could take hours for every hour that they sat in the classroom..... I'd double check that information, but I do know that you can get credit for College courses.

Don't know if it is universal, but it works in Texas, at least. Got a buttload of CE credit for nursing school classes. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone!

Be sure to clarrify courses (college) NOT all health or even EMS courses will be credited. They must be within the scope of the National Curriculum or have been approved by state or NREMT prior to attempt for credit.

There is a listing of what is standard approved on the web site : www.nremt.org

Be safe,

R/R 911

My instructor told us that almost all, if not all, of our EMT CEs will be taken care of through the medic class. I just don't know how to document it or anything. Does NR (and dust, does TX..) send you a form to put all the hours on? Pardon my newb-ness.

Does NR (and dust, does TX..) send you a form to put all the hours on? Pardon my newb-ness.

I don't believe Texas sends you a form to log it on. You are responsible for documenting it somehow and sending it to them. Unless this has changed in the last few years, how you document it is up to you, but obviously, the more complete, the better. There are some "CE log" sheets floating around that people have drawn up for you to use, but I believe you can simply word process it all and send it in that way. I don't think Texas even absolutely requires the certificates (or at least they didn't last time I recerted). They take your word for it, but obviously, they are at least randomly auditing people for their certificates.

Again, this is only my recollection from last cert. It may have changed since they went NR, so you would definitely want to check formally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I too would like to know if FEMA classes can be used. Also, the NREMT website has a section to keep track of all of your CEU's. Does anyone know if it is REQUIRED to take a Basic Refresher for your CEU's? Can you break the sections up, or does it have to be a refresher?

If anyone is from Ohio on here, is the Refresher required for State re certification?

THANKS!