Books on the life of EMS

akroeze

So I just finished reading Peter Canning's book "Paramedic" and I really liked it. Although I have read it before, that was when I was in high school and only had a dream of entering this profesion. Now that I am in this setting I found I got a lot more out of his stories. Next will be to re-read Rescue 471.

What do people think about his books? Do you feel they accurately represent the EMS field?

Also, what other books do you recommend?

Educational books. You aren't finished learning yet.

You're not a wannabe anymore. You ARE the paramedic now. Move on past the sensationalism of the silly wannabe books.

Start writing your own book. Start today taking notes on each and every day of your career. Then, twenty years from now, you can write a book or two and help pay for your retirement.

Educational books. You aren't finished learning yet.

You're not a wannabe anymore. You ARE the paramedic now. Move on past the sensationalism of the silly wannabe books.

Start writing your own book. Start today taking notes on each and every day of your career. Then, twenty years from now, you can write a book or two and help pay for your retirement.

I do read educational books, but for the sake of sanity you have to read something other than a text book

Okay, how about an english, history, or psychology book?

Work on your degree while you're still young enough.

If it's your sanity you're worried about, don't read anything at all. Get out of the house and do something. Work out at the gym. Practice martial arts. Go running. Go swimming. Go skiing. Go flying. Play tennis, hockey, or soccer. Take up photography and document your career, your family, or the beauty around you.

I just don't see any value -- or even entertainment -- in burying my nose in a book about somebody else who did the same thing I'm doing. Not exactly mind expanding. It's a rookie thing.

With apologies to Devin. Although, there are plenty of New York wackers out there, so he won't be missing any meals. :wink:

I figure since I work this field enough, the last thing I want to do is read a book written about someone else's life in a profession I'm already in. Fun would be reading about another field that I'm not in.

I haven't read many novels on EMS, but I have dozens, usually given to me as a gift. I do have lots of old.. OLD... EMT and Paramedic Text books. Probably the most read are "The Ambulance Attendant" and Emergency Care of the Sick and Injured (correct title?)... Which is still published today, in something close to the 30th edition. I did read two books by Pat Ivey, with in the past five years, my son gave me both of her books for my birthday, and one called "Omaha Orange". I really enjoy the Ivey books, she is a truely talented author, and her writing style is top knotch!

So I just finished reading Peter Canning's book "Paramedic" and I really liked it. Although I have read it before, that was when I was in high school and only had a dream of entering this profesion. Now that I am in this setting I found I got a lot more out of his stories. Next will be to re-read Rescue 471.

What do people think about his books? Do you feel they accurately represent the EMS field?

Peter Canning's books are bother really good books. I have read both of them and have the pleasure of working with Peter as he is still a practicing paramedic in Hartford, CT. I was even more fortunate to have Peter as my preceptor when I became a paramedic. He is a great writer and a great provider. It's too bad he hasn't written any other books recently. There are some good books out there if you look hard enough.

Shane

NREMT-P

There are 2 books out there by Pat Ivey , "EMT: Rescue" and "EMT: Beyond the Lights And Siren" that you would probably enjoy about her entry into emergency medicine.

Michael Perry has written a book called "Population 485, Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren At A Time" that is interesting although not entirely emergency medicine oriented.

Sure read all of the texts you can be sometimes it is good to stop and read about what we do by someone who has done it.

Russ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.