Question for you TACMED's

When it comes to working in the tactical environment the carriage of EMS kit becomes a case of what do I need and what can I leave behind. I would be interested to know what drugs are carried as a matter of course on tactical operations by you guys/girls.

None. We do not carry drugs in our kit. When we are doing operations we are there because the operators need support. We are not there to treat hypoglycemics, cardiac problems or anything else. We are there to take care of trauma injuries to the officers or suspects. Our unit is fully equipped but as far as what we take to the door it is all about trauma.

BULL

• 1 month later...

Matt202, I have two bags that I use to support our state QRF team. If I make entry with the team, I will throw my support bag down at the door or drop it at a pre determined casualty collection point. During care under fire I only carry a small range bag, (about the size of a dump bag) the only medication I carry in it is an adult Epi pen if I have team mates with documented allergies. The rest of the supplies are BLS materials. Combat application tourniquets, dressing and bandage materials, nasal airways, extra grenade pins, flashlight, 5 1/2" shears, occlusive dressing materials, and a couple of 14 ga angiocaths. I carry a large support bag with more medications and use it if we do extended operations in the field. Medications that I carry vary greatly on the environment I am in. My basic sick call kit contains; PO Motrin, PO Tylenol, promethazine injection, po Benadryl, Benadryl injection, triple antibiotic ointment, PO Pseudophed, epinephrine 1:1000 injection, PO Zantac, fluorescein strips and a small cobalt blue light, a 1000mg vial of ceftriaxone, and a depending on the age and history of the people I am supporting, I will carry PO aspirin. I do not carry narcotics or benzos. I imagine that could change if I deployed OCONUS. When our team deployed to Louisiana, I ended up carrying tetanus/diphtheria inj, HEP A inj, and HEP B inj. We ended up giving allot of vaccinations. We anticipated allot of GI related illness and my mother unit (a medical detachment) sent allot of antibiotics, Flagyl, Levaquin, & Cipro, however, we saw very few cases of GI illness. I hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

I have to agree with the PRPG and Bull in that it is all about trauma. You are there just to get them to a safe haven (hopefully to a waiting rig) and not there to treat anything that can not be done after a load and go or at least a tac movement to a safe haven. Its all about rapid assessment and treatment of trauma.

I agree with your comments with regard to trauma being the focus when it comes to kit. I was just interested to know the drugs you consider to be essentials on entry. Over here we keep general stuff in the packs at the door and just have a leg bag with trauma kit, LMA, some analgesic, sedation and narcan.

Matt202, if I am making entry, I know there are going to be people acutely deficient in lead. I make it a point to carry lots of 124 grain and 55 grain lead suppositories in my kit. :D:lol::lol:

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.