Am I to old?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah hmmm..."

WHACK, WHACK, WHACK (Single smacks her yardstick against the kitchen counter!)

"EVERYBODY PLAY NICE!"

OK, my MOMMY moment is over! LOL

Streetsweeper, one of the beautiful things about EMT City is that all us NEWBIES get to learn from those who have paid their dues and paved the way for us. I see that you are new to the City, so you might want to spend some time reading through the various forums before you go and slap a label on all of our foreheads.

If you are implying that those of us making a career change late in life are not serious about what we are doing, then you really have a lot to learn - especially about life in general. When I took the plunge into EMS, I had spent 20+ years with the same company, my earning potential was well over $50K and I was absolutely burned out and miserable. I had wanted to change careers for several years, but having lost my mother and my marriage within a few months of each other, and facing the daunting aspect of being a single parent, I figured I better guarantee that whatever I did would not plunge my family into financial ruin. So I stuck it out awhile longer.

Now I absolutely LOVE what I am doing, and even though I took a big pay cut, I don't have to worry about the money end of it due to the plans I made.

Personally, I don't care HOW OLD my coworkers are if they LOVE their job, are QUALIFIED to do their job and are not SICK AND TIRED of doing their job! In my previous life, my fellow coworkers ranged in age from 16 - 80+. I made it a point to learn something from each and every one of them. Everyone has something to contribute, you just have to know what to look for.

This is my last attempt to get peeps to understand.

I am stating before you jump into this career make sure you know what is all about. There is no glam or heroics. It will burn you out, physically and mentally. So if you start your career in this, late in life, be prepared. It takes a toll on your relationships and your family life. I am 38 y's/o and I certainly don't think I am too old. I have seen too many people get into this business thinking its all great, until they figure out that its alot to deal with. After five years they end up leaving. So if you are 30 or 40 or whatever age. You may be looking for a new job, only now 5 years have gone by and your 45.

I believe peeps have the right to know the good and the bad about this job. If you don't want to hear the negative side then don't ask the question.

If you want to know what this job is really like, the first step is to NOT watch television. There is not now, nor has there ever been a television show that honestly or accurately illustrates the EMS profession in this country. Not even the so-called "reality" shows like "Paramedics". They're all crap.

To this date, the truest illustration of the reality of EMS in this country remains "Mother, Juggs & Speed." Buy it. If the job you see in that movie is not what you are expecting, then take heed. That IS how it still is today, thirty years later. Yep, it's getting a little better, slowly but surely, in some places. But we still have a very long way to go. And unless you want to be part of that improvement process, stay out.

And, as always, anybody who disagrees with me is wrong, so don't listen to them. :wink:

You know it's kinda scary when I go into my directors office and he has a football and toy ambulances . :shock: .. (Flashback of F + B ) ... okay, at least he does not try to give us a pep talk and our secretary is not Mrs. Fishborne ...

:wink:

R/R 911

Age appropriate comment: I started EMS as an "Ambulance Attendant" certified in 1971. I've been associated in various capacities since then. I retired from the 'day job' and have re-certified EMT-B. I volunteer 1-2 days a week and find it fulfilling. I just wanna help.

I don't think you are too old. If you think that's what you want to do, go for it! Be sure you can physically, and mentally deal with it though, it will take a lot out of you, but even if you get burnt out later, at least you can say you enjoyed doing it!

I stand by my comments.

From your Blog... how can I take you serious.....your a joke.

Get over it!

You are the joke...you know nothing about me. So don't even try... I've been a member here far longer than you. Take a poll....Mr. March 20. Your posts from day one have been about nothing but crappy outlooks on life and your profession because you are bitter. I'm sorry...but not my problem. You are very welcome here...but don't even try to pull that crap with me. Done...end of discussion....your juvenile comments don't upset me. I'm far beyond that. As far as a blog....Einstein...they are made to express your personal feelings...whether they make sense to you or not...as I said before... you don't know me. Serious discussions and professional conversations are for forums. If you don't like my personal and private thoughts...don't read them in my blog... As for your post...maybe so many people wouldn't be getting upset if you hadn't made such an idiotic statement...deal with it.

ps...I'd rather you just never talk to me anymore. Your mindless crap and personal insults are not my style...I have no desire to carry on further with you. Have a nice life... And btw...there's NO ONE on this board that I don't get along with or that thinks I'm mean or difficult in the slightest....just you....therefore...refer back to my first sentence. :roll:

Adios Mr. Difficult person...no time for you :cya:

You are the joke...you know nothing about me. So don't even try... I've been a member here far longer than you. Take a poll....Mr. March 20. Your posts from day one have been about nothing but crappy outlooks on life and your profession because you are bitter. I'm sorry...but not my problem. You are very welcome here...but don't even try to pull that crap with me. Done...end of discussion....your juvenile comments don't upset me. I'm far beyond that. As far as a blog....Einstein...they are made to express your personal feelings...whether they make sense to you or not...as I said before... you don't know me. Serious discussions and professional conversations are for forums. If you don't like my personal and private thoughts...don't read them in my blog... As for your post...maybe so many people wouldn't be getting upset if you hadn't made such an idiotic statement...deal with it.

ps...I'd rather you just never talk to me anymore. Your mindless crap and personal insults are not my style...I have no desire to carry on further with you. Have a nice life... And btw...there's NO ONE on this board that I don't get along with or that thinks I'm mean or difficult in the slightest....just you....therefore...refer back to my first sentence. :roll:

Adios Mr. Difficult person...no time for you :cya:

:love5: =D> He'll figure out we love you best 8 .....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.