Am I to old?

Creating an image of professionalism and proficiency will contribute to a better pay rate quicker than the "need" created by fewer volunteers. I would rather have an older NUG that loves what he is doing than a young pay grabber that thinks they deserve what they are getting simply by their presence. If you love it, do it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dustdevil is absolutely right. No B/S. Just the plain in your face truth. I am so sick of the Gun HO!Oakley Sunglass,, High 5'n ,,Whoaah Crap. There is no glamor in this job. Get over it!

If your in it for the right reasons then fine...Most are not. If it took till your 36 years old to do this,,than how serious were you about this .

If it took till your 36 years old to do this,,than how serious were you about this .
Hold on there Scooter! Some ppl have several careers before they find the right one. Age discrimination is against the law. As a matter of fact, I'm on my 3rd career change, but I guess I'm not serious about it. :roll:

If your in it for the right reasons then fine...Most are not. If it took till your 36 years old to do this,,than how serious were you about this .

:stop:

OK...I don't usually challenge or criticize anyone for their comments...but this was not fair and was one of the poorest comments I have seen by anyone to date.....and forgive me...but I think you may owe all the fine people on this board an apology that DID get into the field late!!

At what age you decide to do a job does not make you a success or a failure....It is, rather, how well you do your job and how seriously you take it. I would take a lot of the old timers on this board FAR before I would take some young ones.... By the same token...there are some very very young people that impress me every day! It's a matter of character, personal integrity and circumstance. Age means nothing... It's how you learn and use your skills, and the knowledge that you gather that make or break you at this job.

By saying there is an age limit to anyone's capabilities in this job is crazy. Look at Rid....he keeps going and going and going, and I guarantee you he could kick both our asses and for that matter, most everyone on this board with his medical knowledge, level of professionalism and patient care tactics... It doesn't matter whether you start at 21 or 38, or whether you work until 50 or 90....your capabilities are your capabilities....you are what you are...you are what you make of yourself...

Please be serious here.... I don't mean to come off sounding mean but your comment was ridiculous...

I didn't become a paramedic till I was 33.

Of course, there were no paramedics before then... and EMT's were pretty new also. I've taught a lot of people who were in their 60's and wanted to become EMT's. Probably the oldest EMT I knew was 82, while he didn't run calls, he was a hell of an instructor. Taught the first attendant classes in 58.

I was in EMS full time until age 31. That was 10 years of service. I then went over the FD full time and keep doing EMS part time. I left EMS full time because I felt I had gone as high up as I was going to go, no more promotions, no more raises except COLA. In Arkansas, the cut off age for civil service fire is 32. After that, your too old. I didn't leave because I was burned out or tired of it. I did because of financial reasons (I brought home $350.00 more a check as a "probie" FF than I did as a "veteran" medic, step raises, state funded retirement program) and because I figured I would always say "I wished I did that when I had the chance" if I didn't. I work at least 100 hours a month with the ambulance service for the extra money and because I truly like it. If you want to do EMS, you can. Just realize the pays not great. Promotions are rare. You can get hurt suddenly and severely. Plan ahead with your retirement. Always remember there is no cut off age for mercenaries in South America. You will see really bad sh#t. EMS is what you make of it. My wife always says that "being a paramedic is who you are." If you get into the biz, wear that uniform with pride. (cue the patriot music) :brave: [/font:9a3c2f885e]

ouch! I guess my post did apply to some peeps. First of all I was not implying that you are to old or too young. Age does not matter. Its your physical ability. If you read the post correctly I was stating that you cannot just jump into something like this thinking its all great. You must be in it for the right reasons. People who are sincere about a career usually don't jump from one to another. Yes I know sometimes its takes a while to find a job that suits you, but you really need to be committed to something like this.

I started worked in this business at age 20, for 18 yrs ALS . I started out at $3.00 an hour, working 100 plus hrs. a week. We paved the road for most of you. Show US a little respect.

I apologize to NO ONE!

ouch! I guess my post did apply to some peeps. First of all I was not implying that you are to old or too young. Age does not matter. Its your physical ability. If you read the post correctly I was stating that you cannot just jump into something like this thinking its all great. You must be in it for the right reasons. People who are sincere about a career usually don't jump from one to another. Yes I know sometimes its takes a while to find a job that suits you, but you really need to be committed to something like this.

I started worked in this business at age 20, for 18 yrs ALS . I started out at $3.00 an hour, working 100 plus hrs. a week. We paved the road for most of you. Show US a little respect.

I apologize to NO ONE!

You did absolutely nothing for me. And you damn sure as hell didn't pave my road.....LMFAO... I've been in this business a long time too, and am not one of the "peeps" you speak of. I am simply defending them regarding what I still believe was an insensitive statement that was really unnecessary. There is no other way to read your post. You even reiterated it above. I realize a lot of people are in this for the wrong reasons. You're preaching to the choir. However, just because a few people "found" EMS later in life...doesn't mean they aren't serious, dedicated, and committed. I do honor you for your many years of service and will give credit where credit is due, but, that's all the more reason you shouldn't down any of the others that follow what you have already done. And as far as respect...I show you no more than you have shown me or anyone else by that comment. As far as your lack of apology...I'm not surprised. I've said my piece...

Back to work..... :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.