Am I to old?

We are so fortunate to have Dust to make sure our pendulum does not swig too far to one side or the other! Dust is speaking from many, many years of experience. Yes, the pay is poor, the hours are crappy, you have to work in all types of weather, burnout is high, etc., etc., etc. You have to factor ALL these things and many more into your decision.

Twelve weeks of education will NOT be a waste of your time - even if you decide not to follow through with EMS. Stimulating your brain cells is NEVER a waste of time! Like was said previously, maybe your EMS training will lead you down another path. You never know.

A year ago, I left a 20+ year career in retail to go back to school and study EMS. I had no idea how burned out I was - within two months my antidepressant and prescription stomach medicines were history and longtime friends were commenting that I hadn't seemed this happy and relaxed in YEARS! Yes, I am going to take a huge pay cut - I knew that and made plans for that. Yes, the hours bite - but I would rather be woke up at 2 a.m. for a car accident or a little old lady with chest pain than get up to unload a truck of merchandise. Rain and snow are not too bad - LOL! At least I am getting to "play" outside! You have to weigh the pros and cons of any decision.

I celebrated my 40th birthday the week before national registry. Yes, I am the "old lady" in the program. Our two youngest students will turn 20 this semester. Does my age cause problems - no. I work out and make sure I am not a hindrance to the crew I work with. Of course, I can't do anything about being short! LOL I do not have the best grades in my medic classes - but that doesn't stop the younger students (who have been basics for a number of years) from asking for my help. And my life experiences help to fill in some gaps - witnessing my mother have a stroke, caring for my daughter during a severe anaphylactic episode, caring for a family member going through withdrawal, etc.

If you intend to move on with paramedic school make sure you have developed exceptional study and time management habits. This is crucial. Also, depending on what your previous employment was, you might want to get some extra math and science under your belt before tackling medic school.

If you love it - go for it and GOOD LUCK!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, if you learn from taking the exam you don't like it. But it doesn't happen that way. And finding out you don't like it is the best thing that could happen to you. The worst thing is to find out that you DO like it, do it til you're fifty years old, and then realize you have nothing to show for that time except a bad back, high blood pressure, a fat ass, and massive debt. You won't be able to afford a vacation, a new car, or college for your kids. And you have nothing but a certificate for 136 hours of night school to show for it all. Now what job are you going to get?

I know you're gonna do what you wanna do. The lure of the siren is quite seductive. But she is a fickle bitch that will spit you out in a few years wishing you had never met her. It won't be a fond memory you are glad you have. It will be five or ten years you really wish you hadn't wasted. And I take great pleasure in saying, "I told you so!" :wink:

LMFAO! Dust hit the nail on the head, as much as I hate to admit it. *Dust....I want you to take great pride in knowing that even though I am sick right now and feel like hell...you made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt...and now my headache is even worse...but I love ya for it* :wink:

A Fickle Bitch indeed.....I confess there are many times I'd like to smack the hell out of her...but I still love it. So, even though I will end up poor....lol...oh well... But, Dust has a good point. It definitely has to be that you love this crap. And don't be surprised later when you are wondering why the hell you gave your life to it. It's actually more of a sacrifice. But...meh....too late...the seductress already has me under her spell.

Don't sweat your age. I'm 38 and just getting into this field - and love it. I've done alot of things in my life - From cabinet maker, house framer to gravestone carver (current occupation) I've enjoyed all of these but, this job moves me. I wasn't expecting it - but there it is. So now I'm back in school (for the first time in 20 yrs.) and my life is moving in a completely unexpected direction.

My point is that you can't predict the future so, If you love it do it.

I started when I was 19, with a Volunteer (charity/unpaid) service. I then progressed thru 5 private, proprietary services, and finally got the municipal EMS job when I was 32.

I'm now just shy of 52 years old, on the municipal EMS job (first NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation, then under the management of the FDNY) for almost 21 years.

I'm physically battered by "the job", and emotionally battered by too many DOAs, and 3 major, one minor plane crashes along the way.

This is not a job for weaklings, and in my current physical status, I'd probably not get hired. However, if an older person (35 and up) feels that they can hack it, go for it!

Before anyone asks, that was 3 jetliners (Eastern Flight 66, US Air Flight 1010, and American Airlines Flight 587), and a single engine 4-seater that did a forced landing on the beach (carburetor froze, permanently stalling the engine), with no loss of life, and the police seizing it's cargo of illegal recreational pharmaceuticals.

Before anyone asks, that was 3 jetliners (Eastern Flight 66, US Air Flight 1010, and American Airlines Flight 587...

Richard, do you by chance mean US Air 5050, the 737 that went into the East River? I got a piece of that action. Last plane crash I ever worked.

Hi, everyone. Im new and i really enjoy this board alot.

I was also thinking i might be too old to do this. Im 30 and i'll be taking my emt-b course next month. i've also signed up to volunteer as an emt to get a feel of what it's like and to get some experience.

My question is: is volunteering a good idea and how long did it take you to get hired as a paid emt?

My question is: is volunteering a good idea...

Some places it is. Most places it is not. No structured program to train a new grad. It's sink or swim, and you have no idea if you are doing things right or not. And the people you are working with quite likely have not much more experience than you -- just the occasional volunteer run -- so they are in no position to positively influence you. Rarely is volly experience quality experience. Most of the time, it is counterproductive to your professional growth. Your mileage may vary. There are some good, professional, and busy volunteer organizations out there.

...and how long did it take you to get hired as a paid emt?

Well, just remember that one of the reasons that it is so hard to find a PAID EMT job is because so many people want to give it away for free as a volunteer. So don't be a hypocrite. Let the community pay for their services like other cities do. They can and will afford it as soon as the supply of wackers dries up.

Some people have a 911 job waiting for them the day they graduate. Most don't. Many never find a job. And most who do aren't happy with it or the pay. You had best do a LOT of serious market research in YOUR specific area before you even think of laying out a thousand bucks or so to take a 150 hour course that is quite likely to not land you a job. That means find out exactly who hires in your area. Find out if they hire new grads. Find out if the often have openings. Find out what their requirements are. Find out what they pay and if you can live on that pay. Way too many morons get all excited about lights and sirens and take an EMT course only to find out that the best hope they have for a job is driving a non-emergency transfer ambo all day to dialysis clinics for $7 dollars an hour. Then they come here crying for some sympathy. Don't be that guy.

Good luck!

No I don't think you are too old if this is really what you want to do. I doubt you will die anywhere close to being financially set though, but that isn't as important to some people as it is others. Do you have a wife/family? If so, I think you should consider talking to them and make sure they are on board with you. I know several people who didn't start vet school until they were 35+ and got out with over $100,000 in debt, making only $30-40K a year and they wouldn't trade what they do for the world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.